1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The trinity seems to be a spiritual road block for me

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HungryInherit, Mar 3, 2013.

1. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

It's one thing that seems to be hindering my relationship with Christ. When I think of heaven and Jesus sitting next on the throne next to God I can't pciture a triune deity. Is Jesus not physically reigning with God? My question may seem idiotic, but I'm trying to learn and improve.
    No matter what I'm studying or praying about, this seems to be there lurking as I cannot fully understand. I would appreciate any help and guidance. Thanks

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

When we try to think of it in man's view, it makes no sense. But then neither does so many other things. Some things we just need to take on faith. When you can stop trying to fit God into our understanding, I think you will be freed from that block. :)

5. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

The Trinity, the Triune Nature of God, is a fact of Scripture. Anyone who believes they will ever understand the Triune Nature of God is doomed to disappointment. There is much in Scripture that we simply must accept!

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I feel very comfortable with the concept since this is the essence of God.

7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There was a man standing on the earth that said this.

for THE FATHER such IS-SEEKING THE ones-worshipING Him spirit THE God AND THE ones-worshipING Him IN spirit AND TRUTH IS-BINDING TO-BE-worshipING
    From John 4:2,24 Scripture4all.org Greek Interlinear

That man calls spirit the God, Father. Why?

What is Spirit? My answer and correct me if I be wrong is, Spirit is Life. I believe all life in whatever form it exist, plant, animal, spirit whatever comes from Spirit the God. Spirit the God is The Living God. Light.

Was it, that Spirit The God, who that man standing on the earth Jesus of Nazareth was calling his Father, that γεννηθὲν, Greek, Conceived 9 translations in BLB, was/is begotten YLT,DBY, being generated S4a.org, in her the virgin Mary is Holy? Did this man come out of Spirit the God?

ἐν αὐτῇ γεννηθὲν, ἐκ Πνεύματός ἐστιν ἁγίου
    in her being generated out of Spirit is Holy

Did the One God, Yehweh beget in a woman a man child?

What does this say about The Trinity?

I know about John 1. I know about all the verses.

Think on the following: God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by [his] Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things.

This Son is to inherit all the Father has. Why does he have to inherit?
    Especially in light of the rest of the verse. by whom also he made the worlds; Hebrews 1:1,2

Of course this also was the lamb slain before the foundation of the world.

Does the following verses in the word of God tell us anything about the Father and the Son? Why is it necessary for us to know the following relative to the persons it is spoken of? I believe it also gives information concerning the Father and the Son born of woman.

And as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in Abraham. For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedec met him.
    Hebrews 7:9,10

Why do we need to know that Levi paid tithes?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

How can anyone say the Trinity is a stumbling block? The Trinity was active at Creation. The Trinity was active at the Resurrection. The Trinity is even active during end times.

9. OldRegular

I believe that in Revelation 4 & 5 we see the Triune nature of GOD pictured as perhaps nowhere else in Scripture.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That picture in Rev4-5 is good to keep in mind as we approach the throne of grace in prayer.
    Another good section of scripture to see all the three divine persons manifested in John 14,15,16,17- The Father and Son discuss the Covenant of redemption and announce that as Jesus ascends, the Father will send another [allos] comforter of the same kind .

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

16 And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

11. OldRegular

Ain't GOD good!

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The Trinity is present at the baptism of Christ. At the Resurrection, God raised His Son through the power of the Holy Spirit. If one cannot see the Trinity at work, then they got problems.

13. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I cannot say I really understand the Trinity, I do think preaching at either extreme has made it more difficult for some. Some preach as if functional Jesus only unitarians, and some preach what comes very close to a tri-theism.

Balance, balance, balance.

14. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

Hello HungryInherit and welcome to the BB.

The way that I “understand” the Trinity, is by looking at ourselves.....
    “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.” (Genesis 1:26)

The fact that we were created in God’s image, means that we are also a trinity;
    ➀ We have a Body:
    (That is going to die or be changed one of these days)
    ➁ We have a Spirit:
    (Being born with Adam’s spirit but receiving God’s Spirit at salvation)
    ➂ And we have a Soul;
    (Which is “us”; Who we really are; The part of us that will live forever.)
    ------------------------
    The Same is true with the LORD;
    ➀ He has a Body:
    (Jesus that was born 2000 years ago & the preincarnate appearances of Christ)
    ➁ He has a Spirit:
    (The person of the Holy Spirit)
    ➂ And He has a Soul:
    (Which is “Who He is”; Our Heavenly Father.)
    --------------------------------------------------
    Note: As with 99% of the things that I “believe”, I did not acquire this explanation from anybody else; This is just my understanding from what God’s Word says.
    Therefore if anybody sees “holes” in this explanation, please let me know.

15. 12strings

12strings Active Member

Just a few holes:

1. It does not necessesarily follow that if God is a trinity, then we are also a trinity. Created in God's image does not mean we are in his image in every way we can imagine. There are somethings in God's nature that he has not given to us, such as omnipotence.

2. Throughout scripture, the words soul and spirit are used in such an interchangeable way, that one would be hard pressed to find something that the spirit does that the soul doesn't do...or vice versa. I believer they are simply 2 words for the same thing.

3. Whatever we are, we will live forever as whole beings after the resurection, Body & Spirit/Soul.

16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree. Another issue is that our body is not 100% wholly us. But God the Father is 100% God. God the Son is 100% God. Our spirit is not 100% us.

17. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I think there is a lot to discuss, some already covered in the past 2 pages. I think how you view God (trinity) will indeed directly affect your life and relationship with Him.

Is this struggle because you simply can't understand the triune nature?

Is this something you believe to be taught in the Bible?

Those are my first two questions

18. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Welcome to the BB

Hungry, I'm glad you're asking questions. Keep in mind that this board is a DEBATE forum. There are many kind people here. I dare say that, in person, I think most would be very kind. Even though the board is 'Baptist' I think you will find that there are many degrees and ideas that can be had and promoted under the 'Baptist' name.

Is that the fact that 'God-IS-a-Trinity' what is a road block to you or is it that your ability to 'comprehend-how-God-is' a road block for you?

19. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I certainly accept that God is a trinity. It's just hard for me to comprehend, especially when I think of heaven, and at both judgements.

20. awaken

awaken Active Member

The number three (3) alludes to a unity of three items...
    Sun, moon, and stars...unity of cosmos
    Clouds, stars and heaven...unity of the heavens
    crust, mantle, and core...unity of earth
    Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob...The unity of Israel
    Faith, hope, and Love ...unity of the Spirit
    Body, soul, and spirit...unity of man
    Man, woman, and child...unity of the family
    outer, inner, and holies...unity of the temple
    Israel, Jerusalem, the temple...unity or Israel
    Father, Son and the Word...unity of the Godhead

Everyone agrees that there is only one true God, the creator of heaven and earth and the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

THe word "echad" is a good word to study to help shed some light on this subject. Hebrew word meaning "one"..a union, a quantity or the ordinal number 1.
    Genesis 2:24; Deuteronomy 6:4; Genesis 6:11; Jeremeah 32:39; Ezra 2:64...just a few places this word is used.
    THe Godhead is One as in united!

We see Trinity together in scriptures even from creation...
    God created...Spirit of God hovered...Let there be light (the Word of God is light)

Just some thoughts!