1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Trinity

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Given Colossians 2:9 you cannot say that God became man!

2. OldRegular

Scripture clearly teaches the Triune Godhead or the Trinity apart from whatever you are calling the "Comma"! To believe otherwise is heretical! Furthermore, the doctrine of the Trinity has absolutely nothing to do with Roman Catholicism.

No one is asking you, or anyone else, to understand the Trinity. If we could understand everything about GOD HE would not be GOD.

3. OldRegular

As I said to "prophet" the Doctrine of the Trinity is not a Roman Catholic Doctrine; it is a Biblical teaching. I wish it were a catholic, that is a universally accepted, Doctrine.

4. OldRegular

You obviously do not understand the nature of the Incarnation! Scripture teaches that Jesus Christ is fully man and fully God. What is difficult to understand about that.

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a clear difference between a doctrine that is heresy and a person being a heretic.

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    NASB:

1 John 5:
    7 For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit and the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.

Notice that this translation leaves out the part that Erasmus ADDED to the his Greek NT that later also was included in the TR.

The trinity is found in the Scriptures, just as the rapture is found. Not to be found in the word, but in the principle that cannot be ignored.

I am reminded of the examples that the late Adrian Rogers used in a sermon in which he referenced the trinity. Without quoting him, he used space and time as an illustration.

One was the concept of space. It is made of the aspects of height, depth, and length. It cannot exist outside of those three, yet labeled in a single word, "space."

The other was the concept of time. The aspects of time must have past, present, and future must all "be" for the label "time" cannot "be" without those three.

Frankly, I don't begin to be able to illustrate the trinity.

What I do know is that every believer has an internal witness of the truth of the trinity. They know Christ saved them, that the Father has mercifully granted unfathomable grace, and that the Holy Spirit guides them into all truth. That without each, the very God of all gods would be deficient.

One of my favorite songs is Holy, Holy, Holy.
    Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
    Early in the morning our song shall rise to thee.
    Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
    God in three persons, blessed Trinity!

Holy, holy, holy! All the saints adore thee,
    casting down their golden crowns around the glassy sea;
    cherubim and seraphim falling down before thee,
    which wert, and art, and evermore shalt be.

Holy, holy, holy! Though the darkness hide thee,
    though the eye of sinful man thy glory may not see,
    only thou art holy; there is none beside thee,
    perfect in power, in love and purity.

Holy, holy, holy! Lord God Almighty!
    All thy works shall praise thy name, in earth and sky and sea.
    Holy, holy, holy! Merciful and mighty,
    God in three persons, blessed Trinity.​

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Nothing, and the teaching in Scripture is quite clear. You are 100% correct.

8. OldRegular

How do you know Erasmus added anything?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Simple Church History.

10. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I freely admit it. And if you've pretended to understand long enough that you actually believe that you do, then you are self deceived. Men have pondered that mystery for two thousand years, and I don't believe anyone has had the brass to claim that he understands it.

Ok, so tell us all the book, chapter and verse that says it. I already mentioned what scripture says, and can produce book, chapter and verse for each point.

And those scriptures say exactly what I wrote. I can stay in the words of scripture to prove what scripture says. You, on the other hand, resort to tradition.

That means you are not guided by scripture, you are guided by the formulas of men.

I'm sorry, I should probably go learn more Greek philosophy, and just throw away scripture. Seems to be the way to understand how the Word became flesh. Maybe some creedal formula can help me understand how God can speak and create something invisible like an angel. Maybe a Greek formula can help me understand how the stars were hung.

I freely admit that I don't understand the wondrous works of God.

Maybe I should seek this gnosis which you have gleaned from the creeds. Then I will have arrived like you have.

12. OldRegular

The link indicates that Erasmus’ Greek NT was published in 1516. It also notes that:
    Therefore, the insertion, if that is what it is, cannot be blamed on Erasmus!

13. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    who is he who is overcoming the world, if not he who is believing that Jesus is the Son of God? This one is he who did come through water and blood -- Jesus the Christ, not in the water only, but in the water and the blood; and the Spirit it is that is testifying, because the Spirit is the truth, 1 John 5:5,6 YLT

Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: John 8:54 YLT

And the Pharisees having been gathered together, Jesus did question them, saying, 'What do ye think concerning the Christ? of whom is he son?' They say to him, 'Of David.' He saith to them, 'How then doth David in the Spirit call him lord, saying, The Lord said to my lord, Sit at my right hand, till I may make thine enemies thy footstool? If then David doth call him lord, how is he his son?' Matt 22:41-4

Tell me about the incarnation. Just what is a son and a father? What is a father? What is a son?

Was a woman needed for Jesus to be the only begotten Son, the only begotten of the Father?

and I will ask the Father, and another Comforter He will give to you, that he may remain with you -- to the age; the Spirit of truth, whom the world is not able to receive, because it doth not behold him, nor know him, and ye know him, because he doth remain with you, and shall be in you. John 14:16,17 and when He may come -- the Spirit of truth -- He will guide you to all the truth, for He will not speak from Himself, but as many things as He will hear He will speak, and the coming things He will tell you; John 16:17
    This one is he who did come through water and blood -- Jesus the Christ, not in the water only, but in the water and the blood; and the Spirit it is that is testifying, because the Spirit is the truth, 1John 5:6

#73 percho, Jan 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2014
  14. OldRegular

I have no difficulty believing what Scripture teaches about both the Deity and the humanity of Jesus Christ. If you do then you have a problem!

The deity of Jesus Christ.

John 1:1-3, John 8:58, John 10:30, John 17:1-5, Romans 1:4, Colossians 2:9, Matthew 3:17, Matthew 17:5, Hebrews 1:2ff, Revelation 1:11, Isaiah 9:6.

The Humanity of Jesus Christ.

Galatians 4:4, Philippians 2:7, 8, 1 Timothy 2:5, Matthew 26:28, John 1:14, Luke 1:31, Romans 8:3, 1 John 4:2, John 1`0:11, Romans 5:6, 1 Corinthians 15:3, Revelation 5:9, 1 Peter 2:24, 1 Peter 3:18, John 19:30.

15. OldRegular

So who wrote Church history? Fallible man!

16. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

1Jo 5:7
    7 For thre ben, that yyuen witnessing in heuene, the Fadir, the Sone, and the Hooli Goost; and these thre ben oon.
    (WYC)

This is only 200 years before Erasmus...in English!

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Neither do I.

However....I do not pretend to understand it, but you do.

Also, you made a dismissal of "church history" as being from fallible men. But you will not entertain the notion that those same fallible men contrived the creeds that you subscribe to.

You want to have your cake and eat it too.

Why not lay down the words of fallible men, and try to find Hypostatic Union in the words of scripture? I believe you're afraid to, because you'll find that it is not there.

The supposed Hypostatic Union presents a Christ who was NOT made like us in all things. But Hebrews 2:14-17 says that He WAS made like us in all things.

Do you believe that you are a hypostatic union? Or are rejecting the plain words of scripture in favor of the traditions of fallible men?

18. OldRegular

Please indicate where I have mentioned any creed.

I have not mentioned Hypostatic union. You have. That being said Scripture teaches that Jesus Christ was fully God and fully man. If you don't believe that is true then you have a problem.

If you have a problem with the Hypostatic union take it up with the originators. I have not mentioned the Hypostatic union. I have presented Scripture showing both the Deity and Humanity of Jesus Christ. In the Incarnation God did not become something less than God. He laid aside nothing other than His Glory. God did not transform Himself into a human.

It then becomes obvious that the passage from Hebrews is talking about the human nature of Jesus Christ.

I fear that you have passed over into the "twilight zone"!

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't heard that since my childhood. And that was in the RCC. Could it be that they (the R CC) does teach something valuable?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    History is more dependable than many other sciences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.