1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Truth vs. The Lie

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by th1bill, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yet you believe in a round earth (not found in scripture), in planets (not found in scripture), in the earth orbiting the sun (not found in scripture), and in adaptation (not found in scripture).

I'm all for engaging in civil discussion on the topic, but making snide remaks such as this is flat-out uncalled for.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

My friend read Job 26:10, Prov 8:27, Isaiah 40:22, and Amos 9:6. for a start on the shape of earth.

3. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Dinosaurs are not found in scripture.

Also, I doubt anyone believes there are 4 corners of the earth.

Literalists have a tough time in that there are contradictions that are most difficult, if not impossible to explain.

For instance:

Man was created after the plants. Gen.1:12, 26.
    Man was created before the plants. Gen.2:5-9.

The birds were created out of the water. Gen.1:20.
    The birds were created out of the land. Gen.2:19.

#43 Crabtownboy, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2009
  4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

None of those verses describe a spherical earth. One of them describes a disc shaped surface, but not a sphere. Yet believing in a spherical earth does not indicate the one believing it to be compromising scripture. Yet as soon as you say the "E" word, all the common daggers come out. Everything from accusations of not believing the bible to not being saved. Like I said, I'm all for engaging in civil discussion, but to engage in namecalling is completely unnecessary.

#44 Johnv, Dec 28, 2009
  5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Just time for one,
    The word “compassed” is the Hebrew khug, translated “circle” in Isaiah 40:22 (see also Proverbs 8:27). It refers here to the global sea level, which defines the “circle of the earth” and the “compass upon the face of the depth,” and which defines the bounds which the waters cannot transgress as long as the earth endures, in accordance with the Noahic covenant (Genesis 8:22; 9:11). The above is from Dr. Morris

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I believe you're referring to "chuwg". The Hebrew word more accurately referrs to a circular disc, akin to a frisbee. It doesn't refer to a sphere-shaped earth as we understand it today.

#46 Johnv, Dec 28, 2009
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have been publicly warned about questioning my salvation on this board...yet you continue to do so. There is nothing from my posts to even allude to your silly notion I'm a Revisionist...I even flatly stated Darwinism is false. How dare you call my salvation into question over your silly semantics game?
    My "form of religion" is salvation by grace through faith in Jesus. If you find that to be false religion and not truth, maybe it is you that needs to look in the mirror at your own salvation.

With the name of "Number 1 Bill" I would hardly be so quick to judge a person's avatar. While I don't owe you an explanation, it is from the movie Terminator and not for "shock value". It reminds me of the conflicting natures we have as believers.

I have reported your post for questioning my salvation. You clearly fit the "troll" label as well...

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You keep saying that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

BTW, your avatar does need some work. The contrasts are dissonant. From a compositional standpoint it's jarring to look at. 'Bout as pleasing as listening to a toddler bang on a piano.

9. Hawkins

Hawkins New Member

God knows that humans can't reach a consensus. If it is said that earth is a ball, ancient people will be shocked and perhaps refuse to believe. A 'circle' is thus a rather accurate description. Moreover, perhaps when we grow our sense out of a 3D spatial concept, it is still a circle, or perhaps it is a circle with a 4D concept and has 4 winds with a nD absolute concept. By far humans only have a 3D concept to judge right or wrong. :laugh:

Humans eat too much from the Tree of Knowledge to think that their hearts are open to judge everything like God does. The day they eat of it, the same day they shall surely die. Be warned!

#49 Hawkins, Dec 28, 2009
  10. CF1

CF1 New Member

Here is a good documentary DVD on intelligent design

Unlocking The Mystery Of Life

Buy "Unlocking The Mystery Of Life" on Amazon.com

Quote:
    “If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed, which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down. But I can find out no such case. ”
    - Charles Darwin

Well, now we have modern microscopes that have found amazing examples in our complex cells and DNA as illustrated in the DVD above. The fingerprints of intelligent design are everywhere. Darwin is old school now. It will just take a long time for the masses in acedemia to recognize it and even longer to accept it. There is so much resistance to changing the current inertia and momentum because of lack of faith in God, not because of insufficient compelling scientific evidence.

We watched the DVD as a family and discussed why people still struggle to believe in intelligent design.

Two people face hardship due to sin in the world: One is drawn to faith in God that loves deeply in times of sorrow and loss. The other pulled away and angry at God from the same circumstances.

Matthew 7:13 (New American Standard Bible)
    13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.

IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.

It is well, with my soul,
    It is well, with my soul,
    It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
    If Jordan above me shall roll,
    No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
    Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
    The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
    Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
    Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
    The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
    The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
    Even so, it is well with my soul.

~~Horatio Gates Spafford [1873]

Listen to "IT IS WELL WITH MY SOUL" here

#50 CF1, Dec 28, 2009
  11. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

We will differ on this so this should be the last I have to say on it.

If I recall my Hebrew correctly, there wasn't a world for sphere at the writing of the Scripture but there was a word for circle, khug. My answer come from what I believe, the Bible claims to be inspired, we understand therefore, that it came from the mouth of God. It is God-breathed, inspired.

I don't care if dinosaurs are not in the Bible as CTB said, in 1611 it wasn't even a word in the English language.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know quite well what it means...would rather not use it. If trolls stop trolling, it won't be used.

If you don't like the avatar don't look at it.

13. CF1

CF1 New Member

With all the creativity, intelligence, and grace that God has given us, I'm confident we can apply that creativity in a way to build each other up.

Even though the word troll is commonly used today in many forums, it seems we as Christians can more often find more useful and beneficial words consistent with scripture to verbalize our thoughts with grace and love.

Consider that the word troll is defined as

troll (noun)

any of a race of supernatural beings, sometimes conceived as giants and sometimes as dwarfs, inhabiting caves or subterranean dwellings.

Origin: 1610–20; < ON troll
    - demon

Slang Dictionary

- an ugly person; a grouchy person.

- an internet user who sends inflammatory or provocative messages designed to elicit negative responses or start a flame-war. (As a fisherman trolls for an unsuspecting fish.) : Don't answer those silly messages. Some troll is just looking for an argument.

- a message sent by a troll

It might be more beneficial to all of our mutual spiritual growth if we use vocabulary and thoughts from scripture. Perhaps there are better thoughts but here are some below.

Romans 14:19 (New American Standard Bible)
    19 So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

Colossians 3:16 (New American Standard Bible)
    16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.

1 Thessalonians 5:14 (New American Standard Bible)
    14 We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone.

2 Thessalonians 3:15 (New American Standard Bible)
    15 Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

John 13:34 (New American Standard Bible)
    34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.

Romans 12:10 (New American Standard Bible)
    10 Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor;

In Christ's love,
    CF1

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes there was, it's Duwr. Chuwg referrs to a disc-shaped circle, likethe surface of a coin.