1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Twelve Baptist Tribes in the USA

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just worked on a book, "The Twelve Baptist Tribes In the USA," by Albert Wardin. Thought y'all might be interested in the names, as he gives them of the 'tribes'.

1-Ecumenical Mainline
    2-National
    3-Conservative Evangelical (Northern)
    4-Fundamental (Northern)
    5-Conservative Evangelical (Southern)
    6-Fundamental (Southern)
    7-Landmark
    8-General/Free Will
    9-Old-Time
    10-Primitive
    11-Progressive Primitive
    12-Neo-Calvinist

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I could get a better handle on the twelve divisions if I knew his definitions. For instance, what's the difference between a Primitive Baptist and a Progressive Primitive Baptist? What's a Neo-Calvinist?

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

'Cute' classification, even if not particularly accurate, I would suggest.

I would also offer that, at least, the Nat'l. Baptist groups, the SBC, and the ABC all "run the gamut", in their 'makeup' and their members' views, hence 'sorting' them into these alleged divisions requires a lot of "pigeonholing", to say the least.

Ed

#3 EdSutton, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2008
  4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. When definitions are available, I'd be interested.

BTW, I'm a Northern historic Fundamentalist. Our roots (read the confessions) would all be "neo-calvinist" or reformed in the area of the doctrines of grace. Great overlap in the Tribe

. . and disturbance in the Force. ;)

5. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a link to The Center For Baptist Studies and an aritcle on this topic by the author of the book.

http://www.centerforbaptiststudies.org/pamphlets/style/diversity.htm

There are definitions there. Here the definition of Neo-Calvinist:

Cheers.

6. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can contribute two main differences, subject to correction, of course, by those who are more knowledgeable.

Primitives don't have Sunday Schools and do not use musical instruments in their worship services.

Progressives do have Sunday Schools, Bible Studies, Children's Sunday Schools, and do use musical accompaniment, by that I mean recorded piano tunes or instruments to accompany their singing during Sunday worship.

FWIW.

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Thanks, Pinoy, that helps.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Finally got back.

As Dr. Bob notes, there is great overlap in "the tribe", which makes for a hard job of classifying Baptists. I doubt that Dr. Wardin would disagree much with Ed's assessment that ""sorting' them into these alleged divisions requires a lot of 'pigeonholing'", or for that matter that sorting them into almost any divisions requires a lot of pigeonholing. There is quite a lot of variation among Baptists, even when they have the same historical background and are part of the same national body. No one will get it perfect, but in his previous books, as well as The Twelve Baptist Tribes In the USA, Albert Wardin takes into account historical background, ethnic background, theological stance and many other things as he sorts the Baptists in the USA into some discernible groupings that might help folks understand a little about who we are, what separates us and what unites us. As for me, I still use Dr. Wardin's old classifications from Baptist Atlas and Baptists around the World. That is not a statement against his new work, but just evidence that I like what I'm comfortable with and have grown to understand.

10. Navymans

Navymans New Member

Your time would be better spent in study of the Bible not mans books.

11. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, there is no doubt that your statement is absolutely true. But I would ask whether there is anyone who devotes all his free time to Bible study and to no other pursuits? We could affix that statement to almost anything, couldn't we?

"Your time would be better spent in study of the Bible not fishing."

"Your time would be better spent in study of the Bible not watching football."

"Your time would be better spent in study of the Bible not baking cookies."

"Your time would be better spent in study of the Bible not posting on the Baptist Board."

Anyone feel free to add your own pastime at the end of the sentence.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about reading the great Christian minds of the past? I know several people who came to a saving knowledge of Christ reading C.S. Lewis.

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, my point to Navymans was that unless one is willing to cut out every form of pastime he has and instead spend it all reading the Bible, he does have a lot of room to tell everyone else to quit reading this or that and just read the Bible. I have no opposition to reading C. S. Lewis. I suppose I failed to make the point well.