1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The two major shortcomings of Calvinism

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was heretical in the extreme. I don't even want to quote what MS said about the Trinity.

Let me ask you proph --do you think he was a Christian? Notice I am not addressing anything about his State execution. I am asking you about his doctrine --was it Christian or not?

2. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

I asked why he deserved the deatth penalty, is this your answer?
    Did the Man who first correctly identified the function of the heart, in the circulatory system, as well as many other scientific and medical discoveries, deserve to die, in a place he simply visited, for non-Catholic views?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does He "call" those who have never heard the Gospel or the Name of Christ?
    Every single person who is regenerated has had their heart opened by God --no exceptions.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From our perspective he did not deserve the death penalty. But his heretical beliefs at that time were considered treasonable.
    You had said that Servetus was righteous. On what basis can he be considered righteous? Do you think his doctrines were biblical?

I am not asking about his medical advances whatsoever. That has nothing to do with anything.

He didn't simply drop into Geneva for a visit. He was on the lam. He was a dead man walking. The sentence of death was on his head. Geneva was the only place in Europe where he could hide out and not be nabbed by the authorities. Or was he deliberately egging on Calvin? The Libertines were in control. They were enemies of Calvin's. Calvin was not large and in charge. He couldn't even cast a vote. He wasn't even a citizen in 1553. Calvin had no power or authority to put anyone to death. He wasn't an iron-fisted despot of Geneva. Don't fall for historical revisionism.

Servetus thought he had it made because John Calvin was overruled by his enemies at that time.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!! Giddy, giddy, giddy. :jesus: :godisgood: :jesus: :godisgood:

Also, the Disciples rejoiced in being found worthy to be beaten for the name of Jesus(Acts 5:41). When Paul was in prison, his time to die was near, he sent a second letter to Timothy, not to "will you get me out of this place?", but rather, he exhorted him to "PREACH THE WORD".

6. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why then, did he, who had corresponded with Calvin for years, walk into a church service where Calvin was preaching?

Why did Calvin turn him in to the Council?

Why did Calvin turn him in to the Spanish Inquisition years before that?

Why after Meeting Calvin in París, did the University there demand his death?

Have you read the reasons, which Calvin published, for demanding his death?

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought this was informative:

"The anti-Trinitarian campaigner Servetus was burned at Geneva in 1553, and this is often seen as a blot on Calvin’s reputation. But weigh these facts:

1.The belief that denial of the Trinity and/or Incarnation should be viewed as a capital crime in a Christian state was part of Calvin’s and Geneva’s medieval inheritance; Calvin did not invent it.

2.Anti-Trinitarian heretics were burned in other places beside Geneva in Calvin’s time, and indeed later–two in England, for instance, as late as 1612.

3.The Roman Inquisition had already set a price on Servetus’ head.

4.The decision to burn Servetus as a heretic was taken not only by Calvin personally but by Geneva’s Little Council of twenty-five, acting on unanimous advice from the pastors of several neighboring Reformed churches whom they had consulted.

5.Calvin, whose role in Servetus’ trial had been that of expert witness managing the prosecution, wanted Servetus not to die but to recant, and spent hours with him during and after the trial seeking to change his views.

6.When Servetus was sentenced to be burned alive, Calvin asked for beheading as a less painful alternative, but his request was denied.

7.The chief Reformers outside Geneva, including Bucer and the gentle Melanchthon, fully approved the execution.

The burning should thus be seen as the fault of a culture and an age rather than of one particular child of that culture and age. Calvin, for the record, showed more pastoral concern for Servetus than anyone else connected with the episode. As regards the rights and wrongs of what was done, the root question concerns the propriety of political paternalism in Christianity (that is, whether the Christian state, as distinct from the Christian church, should outlaw heresy or tolerate it), and it was Calvin’s insistence that God alone is Lord of the conscience that was to begin displacing the medieval by the modern mind-set on this question soon after Servetus’ death....."

Calvin and Servetus

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Servetus' BBQ has been debated ad nauseum on this board, the conclusion of which is that those who judge Calvin for it do so in ignorance. If the worst thing you could say of me was that I had burned a heretic, I could enter Heaven on my own merit.

The issue is your assignment of Christ's words on Christian martyrs to heretics. Many blasphemers were justly stoned, but no proclaimer of the Gospel was justly stoned. Many heretics were justly put out of the synagogues, but no Christian was justly excommunicated.

Many pagans have been justly prosecuted for their beliefs, but no Christian ever was.

Many pagans have been murdered for their beliefs, but they are not the ones of which Christ speaks when He uttered the words you applied to Servetus.

You've done worse than blaspheme Christ, you've hallowed a heretic.

9. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Servetus was murdered for daring to claim that the Council of Nicea's invention of a defensive doctrine, designed to hush the charges by pagans that the Christians worshipped 3 gods, was ill conceived.

His real crimes were translating the Scriptures into Spanish, and opposing the little godman, Calvin.

10. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even if your assertion here were true, it wouldn't mitigate your offense.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:
    Here endeth the lesson. :type:

12. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'm not convinced he's even read the book. The quote Reformed gave can be found in its entirety online as a review of the book 'Slave'. All of tnd's evidence came from that one quote alone it is readily available online with a simple search. :thumbs:

13. preacher4truth

The OP is purely subjective. Hence the quote 'I've decided'. It is also quite apparent the OP has very little understanding of DoG/Calvinism. :type:

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If true, he has not done a thorough study of Reformed doctrine. If DCONN attempted a complete study of DoG, Reformed theology etc., then he would have a better understanding and be more credible.

In closing...because this thread had becomme tedious, I would remind DCONN that the majority of "Calvinists " are well studied on Arminism and Non - Calvinist theology (and some were even enemies of "Calvinism") way before we ever embraced it as biblical doctrine. I myself consider DoG a ligimate theology extracted from scripture. That be my story and I is sticking wit it. Also done with this thread.

Play nice.

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the first time d-CON has been caught 'pretending':

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=2075118#post2075118

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?p=2075305#post2075305

#95 kyredneck, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2014
  16. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....lol, and he's always bashing 'the great pretender' over on news & politics forum....

17. preacher4truth

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

An impressive response, to be sure, and I mean that in reference to the entire post. Accurate, truthful -- within the narrow scope of its reply. It ignores JMac's consistent return to the idea that it is the "true believer" that does not doubt, who instantly goes to the Lord, without waivering, without hesitating, without even briefly considering his own sense of loss, hurt, pain, or fear. You dealt with the terms "joy" and "delight" in your post, but ignored JMac's well-known propensity to speak of joyful obedience as duty. Not only did he put this concept into "Slave" and return to it throughout, but he preached a three-part sermon series in January of 1999 on this same subject, entitled "How to Endure Trials," using James 1:2-12 as his text. I've read through the entire series twice just today, in order to make sure I wasn't missing anything. JMac is very reluctant to get to a point in this series, and when he does, he sneaks up on it, hits it quickly, and moves on. But among other things he said was this, in Part II, which is where the link above goes.

I would challenge you to show me where God expects us to forego our true initial approach, which is abject sorrow, fear, anger or whatever emotion is appropriate to the type of trial we face. Not once does JMac acknowledge that those emotions are not only "likely" to happen, but absolutely, without doubt, regardless of is experiencing them, will happen. JMac's overall statements here are ludicrous. No one is able to immediately go to that joy and peace of God's sustaining love and strength. Some of us may go there quickly, others much more slowly. But none of us make it the "first initial approach" as JMac insists James is teaching in this passage. And to suggest, as Piper does in his book, that it is sin to take any but the "first initial approach" of joy is bombastic.

I would go on and point out that you did nothing to respond to my comment about Piper, who is even more adamant about this "first initial approach" than JMac, going so far as to call "sin" any attitude other than joy in the face of trial. But that really isn't necessary, because as much applause as you have received for this post, it fails utterly in disproving or calling into question anything I've said about Calvinism on this thread. You picked one very narrow focus of my comments, and totally ignored the fact that I stated this claim that "anything other than joy in the face of trial is sin," is simply indicative of a larger overall misinterpretation of Scripture. That being it is symptomatic of the larger error of God's total control over man's will, that being apparent in the JMac view, and Piper's, that it is sin not to immediately go to a joyful attitude in the fact of trial.

In other words, you totally missed the point by focusing on the example and not the overall errors mentioned in the OP. Let me refresh your memory:
    If you truly want to respond to me, then these are the points you should be focusing on. The JMac and Piper comments in the post to which you replied were indicative of the first error. Let's look at the second error.

Calvinists and most other Christians understand that we are born worthless, despicable sinners. The Bible thoroughly drives the point home over and over that we can choose not to be,so, if we respond to the drawing, call and enabling by the Holy Spirit to believe. Even Calvinists will sometimes slip up and use the word "believe" from the point of view of it being an active verb, the action being taken by the sinner to come to God's grace. Only the bias of a theological system could cause one to disregard this. That is what we find in Calvinism. That is the point of the thread. Let's see if we can stay focused on that, rather than taking rabbit trails built off of illustrations meant to engage a larger point.

#98 thisnumbersdisconnected, Feb 25, 2014
  19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nah, I'd call it trolling for jollies......can't help but wonder how many other aliases he has on how many other boards...lol, how many aliases does he have/has he had on this board?

#99 kyredneck, Feb 25, 2014
  20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not the place to make accusations, in particular about trolling and multiple accounts on this Board.
    If you feel the need to accuse somepne report the post. You will be asked for evidence beyond a mere assusation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.