1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Ugly Side of the US Air Force Chaplaincy

Discussion in 'Vets and Friends' started by Salty, Apr 29, 2019.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While in the Army, I attended a Sunday morning service on base, at a church run by chaplains.

The service was generic, aimed at those of faith, and not evangelical. I did not return, thinking the church had no lamp-stand.

Although slightly off topic, I would like to address the "in the name of Jesus" tag line used by some in all their prayers. I think the idea of saying those "magic" words to empower the prayer is one of those bogus Christian myths. I think the idea is we are to pray according to what we believe Christ would pray in that circumstance. Thus we would not pray (test God) by asking for supernatural intervention. Rather for the strength, wisdom, and courage to be effective ambassadors for Christ in the ministry of reconciliation. Prayers where we have no "skin in the game" are dubious.

3. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand praying in the name of Jesus. I now ALWAYS put some form of "in Jesus name" at the end of my prayers. Main reason is to make sure liberals know who I am praying to. Jesus seems to make liberals irate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a friend who is an ex-Army chaplain and his experience was no different than the blog post you linked to.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If a Chaplain is asked by a commander to pray at a NON-chapel event - the CDR can request the Chaplain to NOT pray in the name of Jesus. However, the Chaplain cannot be required to leave the name of Jesus out of his prayer. - AND the chaplain is under no obligation to pray at a non-chapel event. --- So this is the official answer. But unofficially, a commander could go to the Chaplains Chain of command (who would be another Chaplain)- and that chief Chaplain could give a lower rating to the Chaplain who "prayed in the name of Jesus..
    Not sure about ratings now - But when I was in - my rating would be - (I may not have the exact terms) -- Excellent, Above Average, Average, Fair, Poor.
    Now, if a supervisor wants to mess up your career - he would rate you as Above average. - that sounds good - but - seeing that over 90% of NCO's received an Excellent EER - that would just about spell the end of your career..

On other thing - if you attended a military affair - (non-chapel) and the Chaplain was Muslim - would you have a problem if he prayed to Allah in the name of Muhammond?

#6 Salty, Apr 30, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1