1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Underlying Texts

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by IronWill, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william s. correa

william s. correa New Member

Historical Facts or God's Promise to preserve His Word in Any Language !

I am not “King James OnlyIf “King James Only” defines one who believes the preserved Word of God is only in English, .” The Masoretic Hebrew Old Testament and Greek Received New Testament translated properly into any language is the preserved Word of God in that language, whether it is ,German, French, Korean,Spanish or Nepali:FYI, there is a list of Received-text based translations in the “Directory of Foreign Language Literature” at the Way of Life web site. Call me “King James Only;”If it defines one who believes that God has given inerrant Scripture in the original Greek and Hebrew writings and that He has preserved them in the Hebrew Masoretic and Greek Received Text underlying the King James Bible and other Reformation Bibles and that we have an accurate translation of it in the English language in the Authorized Version! Amen:Fish:

#21 william s. correa, Jun 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  2. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

I wonder when Dr. Bob will return to give his answer! I can't wait!!!!:tongue3:

:type: Hint: my guess it's the modern eclectic Greek NT texts like the UBS4 and N/A 27th.....

3. Dave

Dave Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what Dr. Bob will choose, but I have not seen anything to dissuade me that the majority text would logically be the most accurate.

Unfortunately, most English translations are based on N/A or W/H not Majority.
    :confused:

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you don't.

Doc doesn't operate under the delusion that the KJV translators were perfect in their work even though he rightly defends their scholarship and efforts. Further, I don't think Doc would deny that the men who do translation work on MV's are for the most part highly qualified and scholarly people.

He does disagree with some of their opinions but I doubt that he automatically doubts their sincerity, honesty, spirituality, honor, integrity, ability, etc.

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct. For the most part the translators of more modern versions are
    eminently qualified for the task of translating.
    Actually the major concern I have is with the underlying text chosen by most of the more modern translation committees. Again, for the most part, I have very little problem with their word choices (with the exception of how most of the more modern versions translate the present, passive participle).

6. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Unfortunately?? Fah! :eek:

I would agree that I'd like to see a modern English translation based on either the H/F or R/P Majority text (H/F = Hodges & Farstad, R/P = Robinson & Pierpont). I'd definitely purchase a copy if one became available although I don't agree that the Majority Text is the better method of textual criticism.

7. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    See
    http://www.emtvonline.com/ for the English Majority Text Version.

8. LRL71

LRL71 New Member

Way too cool. What do you think of this version?

9. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Dr. Cassidy, I know that you have mentioned the translation of the present, passive participle before, but I cannot find any history of it.

Could you give a specific example?

Is this the problem that you had with one of Paul's letters as translated by the NKJV? If so, can you provide the verse and accurate translation?

Also, while we are on the subject of majority text vs. others. It is my understanding that the NKJV truly does use one of the versions of Textus Receptus that are available (for the NT of course).

Can you give me your thoughts on the accuracy of this particular version of the TR vs. the majority text (which I believe you consider the most accurate--if not, please correct me.)?

So, what do you consider as some of the best modern versions? The one listed above? What are your thoughts of the NKJV--have they done a decent job of translating a decent underlying text?

Are there others available that you prefer?

If you could just pick one MV to keep on a desert Island with nothing to compare it to, what would you pick?

I know this sounds like a lot, but I am trying to pick that great brain of yours.:thumbs:

10. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist

I like it. :)

11. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 Cor 1:18

KJV: For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

NKJV: For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

The PPP in Greek functions much like a "state of being" verb in English. It has no temporal significance, but merely indicates a state of being. The way many of the more modern versions translate it seems to indicate a continuing action rather than a state of being.
    Yes. I would translate it as "to those who perish, foolishness; but to us who are saved" and so on.
    The NKJV is based on Scrivener's 1894 TR which is a critical edition of the TR with each variant reading selected from its source manuscript or text and published as a single unified whole.
    The Scrivener TR is an excellent example of the TRs in general, and a good example of the Byzantine textform on which it is based. There are a few places where I believe improvement could be made such as in Matthew 10:8 and a few others, but overall I have no problem with it. And even the areas where I think it could stand some revision do not affect any doctrine.
    Of those presently readily available I would include the NKJV, LITV, MKJV, EMTV, KJ2000, TMB, and a few others.
    The Geneva and Bishops' bibles are available in reprint as is Tyndale all of which I have great respect for but suffer from some of the same problems regarding archaic language and syntax as does the KJV, only more so. :)
    If I could not have my Greek New Testament I would swim home. Or maybe walk on water. You never know until you try! :D
    That's okay. I bill by the minute. I will mail it out in the morning. :D

12. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Thank you

Just get in line with the rest of the bill-collectors. I don't have to tell you the ole turnip story.:laugh:

Maybe I could stick it on my Army travel Visa card. Do you think they would notice? At least I hope they give me a net a Leavenworth so I can continue to visit all of you.

Seriously, thank you so much for your answers. In one post you have cleared up a lot of questions that have been nagging at me.

I realize that these things seem so simple to you, but I'm a "babe" when it comes to knowing the Bible as I should.

I bought a Stronger Strongs at your suggestion and use it with two different texts; a majority text and the TR) you mentioned that I am lucky enough to have in a beautiful intralinear.

I was right about what I thought you had said about the tense issue. I tried to explain it to my pastor once and showed him my Stronger Strongs. His answer? "Oh, all of these new scholars think they are finding new things out about the Greek and Hebrew, so they come out with new fangled (his words) books like that Stronger Strongs, trying to correct what was already known."

I mentioned that I felt the Byzantine text was better and also showed him my intralinear TR, to which his response was: "You mean to tell me that there really is a TR and that wasn't made up by those guys trying to make us stick to King james Bibles?"

Now, let me cut him some slack. We are a small church with mostly older country people, most of which are lucky if they have a high-school education. Our pastor has to get his GED so he could take some college courses. He DID get his Associates from OBU, so some of his statements surprise me (what in the WORLD are they teaching in the seminarys today?). All in all, he IS a good Christian man who loves the Lord and loves to win souls. So I certainly have to forgive him for his statements, but I do wish some pastors would spend more time studying and less sending e-mails to each other for fun and games.

TCassidy, I would LOVE to sit under you in a class. Have you thought about publishing? You certainly have everything it takes to do so and I should know because most of my job is related to helping our explosives safety teachers develop their knowledge into text books. Although we are talking two completely seperate subject, it becomes second nature for me to tell if a person has what it takes to publish a textbook.

I'm certainly not telling anybody else anything new here, TCassidy stands on his own.

Anyway, I'm rambling, just thanks for answering questions and having the patience to answer the questions of those of us like me who are quite ignorant, but want to learn and can't afford seminary or 200 dollar text books. Thank you Dr. Cassidy, I salute you!

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

TCassidy's suggestion? He told me a same thing, but I disagree with him because I investigated this book and found out why he suggested you to get it. I thumb down that book. I have OLD Strong's and use it for my Bible study tools.

14. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

For 1 Co. 1:18, IMO the modern translations are better. In Greek, there are three verbal aspects: imperfective, perfective, and aoristic. The aspect of the two participles in question is imperfective, and such aspect is usually demonstrated in translation with non-static language (e.g., inceptive, continuative, repetitive, etc.). The "default" aspect is aoristic, and when the author switches to imperfective or perfective he is usually doing so for a reason.

15. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uh, you better read that again. Both απολλυμενοις and σωζομενοις are perfect, not imperfect. απολλυμενοις is a verb in the present tense, either middle or passive voice, is a participle, plural number, masculine gender. σωζομενοις is a verb in the present tense, passive voice, is a participle, plural number, masculine gender. The very first thing a student of Greek is taught regarding Greek participles is their non-temporal nature. They are not translated as action verbs. They are translated as state of being verbs. To translate them as action verbs obscures the meaning of the passage.

The Greek verb voices are active, middle, passive, middle deponent, passive deponent, and impersonal active. The moods are indicative, subjunctive, optative, imperative, infinitive, participle, and an occasional imperative-sense participle.

Also we will, rarely, see a aeolic or apocopated form.

16. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doc, Opinion on the WEB Bible?

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Stronger Strong's?

What is the difference and where do I find it? I did a web search and turned up nothing.

Thanks.

18. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The WEB is an update of the ASV of 1901 using BHS Hebrew and the Majority Text Greek. It contains the Apocrypha and omits the latter portion of 1John 5:7. So far it looks like a pretty good revision of the old "Rock of Biblical Honesty."

19. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Are you saying present participles do not have an imperfective aspect? What aspect or kind of action would you suggest for present particples if not imperfective?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.