1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Unexamined Life ........

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Socrates said, "The unexamined life is not worth living."

What do you believe he meant by this statement?

2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm not familiar with that or the context. Which means, of course, means that in true BB fashion, I'm going to expound on it in an authoritative manner anyhow. :smilewinkgrin:

(ok, just a wild guess)

I see three meanings of that statement when taken as is without considering the source or context.

1. If you don't live life as if God is examining it, it's a pretty worthless life.

2. If we are not held accountable to anyone either because we do not allow it, they do not care, or they have given up, selfishness and human nature go unbridled and make the things a person does with his life of no valuable consequence to others.

3. If we do not periodically examine how we live, what we believe and how we contribute to the betterment of others, we remain stuck in a rut and grow only a little or not at all. We may become stubborn. Perhaps we grow insensitive to the thoughts and ideas of others because we do not take time to examine ourselves and the possibility that we need to change some of our views. Learning is essential to life and honest self-assessment leads to a desire to learn. Without that desire, we lose our potential and the life we are meant to live does not come to fruition, leaving the possibilities unfulfilled. Why is living such a life worth it for any reason other than the animal instinct for survival?

3. billwald

billwald New Member

#3 is probably the correct answer.