1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Upcomming Spring Holiday

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jan 29, 2006.

?
  1. EASTER

53.5%
  2. RESURRECTION SUNDAY

11.6%
  3. Other

34.9%
  4. Does not matter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are some of the views and observances of this holiday?

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, someone voted "other". That in itself is okay, but you know Saltys rule: you vote "other" and you must explain>

Salty

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I voted "other" for the day Christ died on. There should have been a "does not matter" choice. It doesn't matter what day Jesus died on. It doesn't matter what day Jesus rose on. It doesn't matter if we commemorate it on a day called resurrection day, easter, wester, or Barbara Eden day. It doesn't matter if he was 30, 33, or 333. So long as we accept that Jesus died and rose for us. I try to celebrate this every day. But I celebrate it with my brethren once a year, on Easter Sunday. If that makes me in any way unrighteous, I'm sure God will forgive my actions and see my heart.

4. tenor

tenor New Member

Well said, Johnv!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I have no clue about Salty's rule, but have two 'other' because I have no idea what this year's particular plans will be, except we have usually, a 'Sunrise Service'. There are "holy week" services in the town I live in sponsored by the local 'Ministerial Association', and our current and previous pastors have participated as speakers more than once. I've been to one or two over the years, but as a farmer, I'm usually busy, as most, but not all always, are held during daylight hours, during planting season.
    Without question, in my mind, the Lord Jesus was crucified on Mt. Moriah on Thursday, by our reckoning, and rose again before sunrise on Sunday morning, again by our reckoning. Simply put, the Crucifixion had to be on Thursday to meet the biblical designations. Friday is too late; and Wednesday is too early. Further, a proposed Wednesday Crucifixion requires that the Lord was traveling on the Sabbath, and rode into Jerusalem on that day, in violation of the Mosaic Law, at least as was interpreted at that time. The Emmaeus disciples comment of 'the third day since...' also knock out Wednesday, as they were late in the evening on Sunday. The Paschal Lamb was presented and taken on 10 Nisan, (Sunday, our way) and was killed on Passover- 14 Nisan (Thursday, our way) "between the evenings". Hope that is not TMI.
    In His grace,
    Ed

6. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Getting that time of year, huh? This is sort of a modest beginning to all the arguing about the timeline in the events. If I get into it, I am going to try and recover last's year's rants instead of go over it all again from scripture up.

In the meantime, I assume our church will go about the day much like last year. We normally have 3 worship services and 3 Bible study periods at the same times (not all B.Study classes are available every period). On Resurrection Day/Easter last year we had 5 worship services, the first beginning about 7 a.m., allowing less than an hour for each. Yeah, let visitors get the idea our services are nice and short ;) :rolleyes: . I don't remember any drama or anything like that we used to put into the agenda that week. A few years ago we had a 3-day drama, with the 'last supper' on Friday evening, the crucifixion Saturday evening, then the big bright light shining in the tomb as the big bad stone was rolled away and HE got up.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ressurection Sunday will be on 16 Apr this year (as of today, that is only 49 days away), so lets bump this up and let some of our new members get on the bandwagon

Salty

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any new thoughts?

9. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

Whether we call it "Resurrection Sunday", "Easter Sunday" or something else, this year it is very early, almost as early as it can be. It's surely on 23rd March. (The earliest is 22nd March). Eastern Orthodox churches celebrate it later - this year on 27th April. So I'm confused about your reference to 16th April.

Edited: Sorry, Salty, I have just realised that this is a "resurrected thread" (groan!!!) from 2006.

10. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

I voted for Resurrection Sunday since the OP asked which name I would call the spring holiday. As far as when we celebrate I agree with ithers it does not matter. EVERY Sunday is Resurrection Sunday!!

:godisgood:

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I answered "Other" because either is just fine and we shouldn't get outselves worked up over what to call it.

12. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

Either way, I'm gonna participate in an Easter-egg hut or two, play 'Via Dolorosa' for AM offeratory, and The Hallelujah Chorus (accompanying the choir) on Sunday night. other than that, I think 'Easterrection Sunday' is a great title...

13. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Well this year I am calling it Pascua. :smilewinkgrin:

14. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One minor detail: Jesus was already resurrected when His tomb was found empty early on the first day of the week. Some one has a strange calendar. Whatever happened to the 14th of Nisan and the 17th of Nisan? The Jews have a more accurate calendar--even though they rejected Jesus as Messiah.

Now most of Christendom does a solus dei/estrus ritual on Sunday at sunrise with lots of Easter eggs and bunnies--some are having egg hunts in the snow this year. Is there anything more pagan that this?

The tomb is empty--Jesus arose on the Sabbath.

Now what?

Selah,

Bro. James

15. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One minor detail: Jesus was already resurrected when His tomb was found empty early on the first day of the week. Some one has a strange calendar. Whatever happened to the 14th of Nisan and the 17th of Nisan? The Jews have a more accurate calendar--even though they rejected Jesus as Messiah.

Now most of Christendom does a solus dei/estrus ritual on Sunday at sunrise with lots of Easter eggs and bunnies--some are having egg hunts in the snow this year. Is there anything more pagan that this?

The tomb is empty--Jesus arose on the Sabbath.

Now what?

Selah,

Bro. James

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Resurrection?? Definitely!

Yer' repeating yourself, again! :smilewinkgrin:

Still don't make it accurate. :laugh:

FTR, the Lord Jesus was crucified on Nisan 14 at around 9 AM, as we reckon time, died around 3 PM, that same day obviously, and His body (not He, himself, for He was not "hanging out" in any grave) was in the tomb. over 15 Nisan the high Sabbath Day of the feast, or Day One of the Feast of Unleavened Bread, and over 16 Nisan, the regular weekly Sabbath (No! Jesus did not arise on any Sabbath!), until He was resurrected sometime on 'first fruits' ("the day after the sabbath" - the text does not say the day following 15 Nisan, as 16 Nisan, which could also be a Sabbath, as it was here - pace Lev. 23:11-14, in this instance.) is Nisan 17, sometime obviously well before sun-up of the 'daylight' hours, of that day, the first day of the (usual Jewish) week.

Guess what! I found "the 14th of Nisan and the 17th of Nisan"! Amazingly, they hadn't gone anywhere! And once again, they all (and all I've posted, here, not that I am trying to "toot my own horn") perfectly fit the Biblical criteria! ;)

Ed

[Edited to add] P.S. Even if Passover does occur relatively early (and it does in 2008), this "resurrected" thread resembles the Lord in one way. It got more attention after the resurrection, than it did before! :laugh:

#16 EdSutton, Mar 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I concur with JohnV.

Whatever happened to him :confused:

18. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I mighta' scared him off, or run him off, ya' think?? :BangHead:

Seriously, I have no clue, but it looks like he stopped posting shortly after I got here.

Ed