1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Updated ESV

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

While it is not my favorite Bible, the ESV has been somewhat updated.

Since 2007 the ESV has updated its text, with grammar and punctuations issues mainly and a few translation issues and more footnoting.

But no major updating, as I had hoped; but I'm not an ESV follower so no loss or gain for me, really.

2. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

But two of my favorite evangelicals are sold on the ESV: Drs Piper and Mounce (that Greek guy). :thumbs:

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Somewhat updated" . From what I've seen the very minor fiddling doesn't deserve the name updating .

For those who appreciate the ESV -- more power to you . I just don't see a need for a retro-version . It does not use standard English . It's clumsy in the extreme sometimes . Fortunately , it reads quite nicely in other places . It's an uneven version . The 'translators" didn't work too hard on it -- in its initial edition and this mild "update" . The NRSV translation team which also used the 1971 RSV did a lot more work in their version . But the ESV team left too much of the RSV untouched . Tis a shame .

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Piper is a man I respect . But I have to take issue with him on his understanding of the supposed superiority of the ESV and its alleged word-for-word methodology . The claims fall short of the reality . And it's not all that accurate despite the hoopla .

The HCSB is to be much preferred to the ESV . People need to own both . Compare and see the vast difference .

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Another Thing ...

A number of men who helped with the ESV translation also were on teams working on the HCSB , TNIV , NLTse and ISV . There has been a lot of cross-pollination .

6. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just bought the Reformation Study Bible but I'm not sure if the text is the updated version or not. Can someone give us an example of a change so that I can compare it to my 1st edition ESV?

It has been mentioned on this forum before regarding the "literal word for word" concept with the ESV. As myself and others have mentioned there is a very thoughtful review of the ESV by a professor at Baptist Bible Seminary in Clarks Summit PA in which the author makes a good case for questioning the word for word publicity that the ESV is getting. Google "Rodney Decker" if you are interested in this viewpoint. His evaluation of the NIV and TNIV (within the context of the translation phlosophy of the ESV) is also interesting.

I consider the NKJV to be a modern translation and that is my main translation right now. I really cannot tell you why I use the NKJV, all I can say is that I just always reach for it when I'm ready to study. I don't know exactly why, but when I read the NIV or the NASB, I have very little trouble getting the concept/message internally without having to re-read a passage over and over.

I just received a bound edition of the NET Bible and I'm excited so far. Love the notes and the construction of the book is outstanding considering the price.

I think it is interesting how our opinions of particular MTs is colored by what others say about them. Even myself, I pick up a paticular version or translation and before I read even word one, I'm already thinking about the adgenda of the publisher or translators.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Here are some of the changes:

Rom 1:23
    2001: and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

2007: and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and creeping things.

Rom 4:5
    2001: And to the one who does not work but trusts him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

2007: And to the one who does not work but believes in him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted as righteousness,

Rom 7:5
    2001: But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit.

2007: But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code.

Rom 10:14
    2001:But how are they to call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard?* And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

2007:How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

8. Acumenical

Acumenical Member

I'm a fan of the "retro" ESV and will probably check out the new version. I read through the HCSB last year, and while I mostly enjoyed it, I still prefer a more literal rendering for everyday study. I tend to agree with those who assert that dynamic versions like to "spell it out," not allowing the text to be difficult even when it is that way in the original languages. But that's just my taste. I have a pretty wide range of translations in my library, and they all have their place.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi AC . I think the accuracy of the HCSB is every bit as good as the ESV , if not better . Do you really think that the HCSB is that 'dynamic' ( functionally-equivalent ) ? The ESV does not employ radically different translational devices than the HCSB or the TNIV -- despite its marketing claims .

Just from a grammatical point of view the HCSB is better than the ESV by far . You should have noted that if you've covered the whole of that translation last year .The latter uses 'essentially archaic' ( :) English .

E = ESV ; H = HCSB

Ps. 55:3
    E -- they drop trouble upon me
    H -- they bring disaster on me

Ps. 55:9
    E -- divide their tongues
    H -- confound their speech

Ps. 119:32
    E -- I will run in the way of your commands when you enlarge my heart .
    H -- I pursue the way of Your commannds for You broaden my understanding .

Ps. 144:5
    E -- Bow your heavens
    H -- Part Your heavens

Ps. 146:3
    E -- Put not your trust in princes
    H -- Do not trust in nobles

Is. 50:6
    E -- I hid not my face
    H -- I did not hide my face

Is. 53:6
    E -- All we like sheep have gone astray
    H -- We all went astray like sheep

Matt. 7:1
    E -- Judge not , that you be not judged .
    H -- Do not judge , so that you won't be judged .

10. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

There is no such thing as a literal translation from any language to any other language.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed . Who has said otherwise ?

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon,

1. Here's the grind with the ESV Update: Crossway has not informed anyone that subsequent publication of the ESV as of 2007 would be the 2007 ESV text.

2. So it's not called the ESVUpdated like the NASBUpdated. In fact, the changes to the 2001 text would be comparable to those of the NAS1977. So they should have done the same.

3. So, if anyone is going to purchase an ESV, get the ESV 2007 text, which has the changes to the 2001 text.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The changes have so slight that I certainly wouldn't expect Crossway to call it ESVU or anthing like that . Do you really think the changes were as significant as the improvement of the 1977 NASB to its current form ?

14. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, another overstatement of mine. :BangHead: You got me there.

Some are quite significant. On second thought, I'm not sure.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

For example, I've read a lot of Chuck Swindoll and he uses the 1977 and sometimes I see no differences outside of the Thou's and Thee's in those prayers.

16. Jarthur001

Jarthur001 Active Member

I got a ESV (The Reformation Study Bible) this last Christmas.

I love it.

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon, I just realized that you guys have discussed these changes before. :tonofbricks: