1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The use and purpose of copy/paste....links....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thomas 15 ...posted this in another thread.This can be helpful and constructive.

A cut and paste response from a reformer, puritan, or any other source is offered to open up the understanding of scripture.

Thank you for being accurate Thomas. That helps in any discussion.

If you feel that is the case.....it is at that point that you can question, study , or examine ,that verse offering what you see or do not see in it.
    The discussion can work through that issue...or come to an impasse.
    At least then both sides know what the others are thinking.
    others reading the interaction can think along and observe the interaction,and see who is making biblical progress.

Thomas....It could be that, or...it could be that The verse or argument being offered has already been gone over dozens of times.
    Have you ever talked to someone and their main question is...where did Cain get His wife? You answer it, but do not need to dwell on it for hours.

Again....perhaps the cut and paste is meant to add to the discussion, by adding to the flow of the discussion.As time permits I will demonstrate that later on.....in the other thread for example, the article by Ernie Resinger...had many helpful questions, it framed out the issue, then showed the error, then showed biblical truth.

Thomas...in the other thread you mentioned how those who use catechisms,confessions etc...do not use Holy Writ.
    You say it again here:
    This I believe is a common mistake.I posted chapter 1 of the 1689 confession in the other thread. It is primary in teaching that scripture alone is the rule for us, the only rule.
    Then they use the scripture to stand where they stand.

I would believe that more if and when I see people respond to a link or article ..biblically.
    I am not trying to fool anyone...why would you suggest such?
    Thomas ...I type very slow and poorly...I never learned to type.it has taken me 45 minutes to start this thread and get to this point.
    To cut and paste saves me much time..I still have to go at least 450 miles today, give or take a few:thumbs:

If you notice....I try to post some with much scripture.if someone has time they can profit from it.What i see on here is any post of much length, or a link that requires reading gets avoided ..for several reasons.

1] people might not have time
    2] people might not read well
    3] people do not know how to use a link properly
    4] some have a proud arrogant spirit, thinking that they can learn from no saint from the past
    5] some look, cannot answer the link and have already shot their mouth off, so they ignore the link as it has already destroyed their false ideas they have just posted.
    6] some are just lazy, do not like to read,they remain out of any meaningful discussion.

there are many more reasons

I am not that familiar with RC Sproul.I have heard him on radio some and know that many like him.....I look and listen to others who get to the point faster. I am not attempting to "win by default"...win what?

I welcome biblical instruction or correction. I do not welcome some of my fan club twisting my words, saying I imply this, or that...and then bring forth garbage out of their own minds and paranoia.
    What then follows is the inevitable personal attacks, trying to bait me, or others,[this happens to Luke 2427 alot] trying to catch us in our words.
    This does not get at truth does it?
    Most of your comments were interesting and good for discussion.This comment betrays a poor understanding of several areas.....

There is a biblical consistency to it that frustrates those who oppose it's truth.
    !

That is an issue best addressed on a personal level. There are a majority on there that are extremely gifted. I have been instructed, corrected, and edified from my time there. Do i agree with everything I see there???/No.
    Overall...it is a more knowledgeable board being confessional.the links and discussions are superior to most that I see in here.
    Some of that is because much twisting of words that happens here...is not allowed. The posters are generally more biblical in their interaction.
    Here on BB......you need to have your combat gear on and watch your back for the knife coming at you.

I see it as a strength because an appeal is made to the scriptures and teaching of scripture, that all agree on.....there is a padeo confession, and the baptist confession.

#1 Iconoclast, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
  2. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now that was one GiGANTIC....

Cut and paste job :smilewinkgrin: I'll bet your fingers were tired after that one? :thumbs:

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

At the outset, Thomas 15 painted an extremely accurate picture of your copy/paste methods and theology. He did it in a civil manner, and you have no where to go.

There is an abundance of information on the internet, on any subject, including theology, Christianity, and the Bible. The purpose of the information is to take the time to read, research, and form an opinion. Hopefully with the Christian it is secondary to the Bible and illumination of the Holy Spirit. That is the purpose of the web sites. This is not the purpose, to fill page after page with copy/paste from other sources, link web site after web site, on and on. The purpose is not to copy/paste selected, out of context phrases to support an agenda. This is an obvious sign of someone not being able to carry on a theological debate. Then, when the copy/paste trick fails, the posts become demeaning with phrases like "you do not understand the truth" or "you support false doctrine." That is followed by the name calling.

If you want to publish a newspaper or write a novel, maybe you should change occupations.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh: Dude...it took me 1.5 hours to do that:laugh: if you saw me poking at the keyboard you would have broke out the annointing oil and doing your rhyming noises seeking a healing of my lack of typing skills:wavey:

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    saturneptune

He raised some good issues for discussion and for the most part was civil...and if you notice.... as he did not attack me...i did not have to react as i sometimes do to personal attacks and twisting of words:thumbs:

I am right here..Sn- I stand by what I post..I do not hide or have to escape. if someone offers civil discussion, even heated debate..I am ok with it......unprovoked personal attack and twisting my words will not happen.

Agreed

That is a given.

Sn...some might not have read the material.I do not assume they have I make it available. I pick out The best ones I can find for the most part. if the person or those watching want to learn they will read it.If they want to ignore it like DHK choose to do, they can remain in error.

I do not do that.....I do not post volumes most of the time...just the portions that answer the question.

This is an open forum SN....I will have no trouble debating you openly on anything.....when you feel up to it, go for it.

I notice that you yourself liked some of my cut and paste links in times past, now you say different...one of us seems to have an agenda, and I know who it is:laugh:

Telling someone they do not understand the doctrine.....when they do not understand the doctrine is truth SN...not demeaning...

when they state a strawman...it is clear they do not understand the doctrine. DHK believes the false carnal christian heresy...he supports it and teaches it.....I should agree with Him???? you make no sense.

You withdrew your late night posts to cover your steps...but it was you that started calling people pathetic, shove it up your nostril and other foul ideas...I posted a list of your good example before you deleted your entries...so you can come down off your high horse.
    i also noticed you said nothing to PINOYBAPTIST, when he used vulger language toward LK2427. i tried to get him to calm down ,and next thing i know you jump out of the bushes blaming me for the whole thing.

Whatever this means.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thomas 15, In the other thread you objected that confessional churches do not use scripture as much as man made writings
    i posted chap1 from the 1689 confession of faith and highlighted the primary place given to the scripture alone as the sole rule of faith and practice....you did not respond.

did you agree with it? what comment do you have on it...pick out one or two points and comment on it...agree/ disagree and why-

There are dozens of verses offered...where did they go wrong Thomas??? Do you agree with these statements?
    Could you offer better? iwill post more later..

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well....

...truth is, I'd have done what you did, in the spirit, and saved a lot of hunting, pecking, cutting, pasting and, well you get the idea! :thumbs:

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thomas15,
    Here is another example of how the links can be used. In the other thread i posted a whole article on the carnal christian heresy...if you did not have time to read the whole link...you could have opened it and looked at these good questions;
    1. Are we sanctified passively, that is, 'by faith' only, without obedience to the law of God and Christ? If sanctification is passive -- a view represented by the slogan 'Let go and let God' -- then how do we understand such apostolic statements as 'I fight', 'I run', 'I keep under my body', 'let us cleanse ourselves', 'let us labor', 'let us lay aside every weight'? Surely these statements do not express a passive condition, nor do they indicate that by one single act we may possess the experience of 'victory' and thus become spiritual and mature Christians.

2. Does an appeal to the so-called 'carnal Christian' to become a 'spiritual Christian' minimize the real conversion experience by magnifying a supposed second experience, by whatever name it may be called -- 'higher life', 'deeper life', 'Spirit-filled life', 'triumphant living', 'receiving Christ as Lord, and not merely as Savior', and so on? The words we read in 2 Corinthians 5:17, 'Therefore, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new', do not refer to a second experience but rather to what happens when any real conversion occurs.

3. Has the 'spiritual Christian' finished growing in grace? If not, what is he to be called as he continues to grow in grace? Do we need to make yet another class whose members are the 'super-spiritual Christians'?

4. Who is to decide who the carnal Christians are, and exactly what standard is to be used in determining this? Do the 'spiritual Christians' decide who the 'carnal Christians' are? Does a church or preacher decide where the line is to be drawn that divides the two classes or categories? Since all Christians have sin remaining in them, and since they sin every day, what degree of sin or what particular sins classify a person as a 'carnal Christian'?

5. Do not all Christians sometimes act like natural men in some area of their lives?

6. Do not the inward sins, such as envy, malice, covetousness, lasciviousness (which includes immorality on the mental level) demonstrate carnality as much as do the outward and visible manifestations of certain other sins?

In Romans 8:1-9 there is a division stated, but it is not between carnal and spiritual Christians. It is a division between those who walk after the flesh (the unregenerate) and those who walk after the Spirit (they that are Christ's). There is no third category.

This would be helpful to think about this issue,....if you agree or do not agree , you can see some of the issues....it is good food for thought.

9. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there is the problem Icon, your tone and methods make it seem that the primary reason some here don't walk lock-step with you in Covenant/Reformed/Preterist (in all it's fascinating variations) theology is due to one thing; a lack of understanding. We further muddy our poor excuse for an intellect by straw man reasoning. And not to put words in your mouth, most likely if pressed you probably feel that some of us are unsaved. As a result you take it upon yourself to educate us in the error of our ways. Does anyone here who takes exception to your preterist beliefs cut and paste volumes of links and newspaper articles to try to convince you that you are wrong? The answer is of course, No.

And yet try as you might, you cannot make a clear Biblical case for basic covenant theology. Neither can your professional covenant theology brethern at the PB. Since you love links, here is an example where they (the PB Presbyterians) completly falter in trying to make their case: http://www.puritanboard.com/f31/three-aspects-covenant-grace-77081/

#9 thomas15, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2013
  10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

This is uncalled for. Why the personal attack? I just finished explaining on another thread why I don't post links, and for the same reason don't need to go to links posted. I don't go to your links because it is an evasion by you to avoid debate. I put forth an argument and you post a link. Sorry, but that is not debate. I have never seen a debate like that, and I will not enter into one. Debates are personal. If you can't think well enough to refute point by point what I post then go down to the Other Discussion forum and post about the weather. Get out of the debate forum. I don't debate links.

Read the other thread I was posting in the theology forum, and you will find why I don't post links.