1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The use of Nekros in Ephesians 2:1

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by SovereignGrace, Apr 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No one is arguing that this is physical death. We are saying that a man's spirit is dead. Only God can make a man's spirit become alive.
    Paul is literally talking about the human spirit in Ephesians 2:1.

Now, please show where Paul is making an analogy or allegory in this passage. So far you have avoided the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just wondering, any chance that the dead analogy relates back to the ceremonial uncleanness of the dead under the law?

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if you continue on you will read :

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

This describes spiritual live more than applying physical death to Spiritual death. If you allow, Scripture will provide its own interpretation.

4. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The difference is one's spirit is dead while the other's spirit has been made alive by God.
    God, by his sovereign grace, chose to give life to one spirit while leaving the other spirit dead in trespasses and sin.
    It is all God.

• Like Like x 2
  5. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just accept that you're a semi-pelagian, Hank.

• Like Like x 1
  6. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What analogy?

• Like Like x 1
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the dead analogy of some here goes back to a simplified and watered down version of the gospel where every aspect falls within a narrow and humanistic view of salvation. In terms of the Bible, I believe we are (or should be) dealing with a more Christ-centered understanding of Life and death, Light and darkness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jon, you are fixated on physical, yet I explained the passage is referring to a man's spirit. What are you failing to grasp?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Until enabled by the Spirit, sinners cannot understand the spiritual meaning of the scriptures, nor their state of being lost and needing Christ!

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet Scripture says the difference is not the spirit of man but the Life that is in Christ. Apart from Christ, men are on an equal footing with God.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, as all have been comdemned and judged already as sinners, and are devoid of any spiritual life!

12. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes apart from Christ, all men are dead in their trespasses and sins. (This is the equal footing.) Every human spirit is dead in sin.
    God must animate the human spirit, which died at the fall. God does this solely by His choice according to His will by His grace. No human effort can ever accomplish it.
    God determines who is in Christ and who isn't. God determined that before the foundation of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I fail to grasp the reason you attribute to the spirit a quality of life or death founded in the physical. I do not understand why it is necessary to add to a definition provided in Scripture. It seems that if it were best to speak of the lost as if they were corpses God would have done so. But instead He defined spiritual life and spiritual death in relation to Christ (not being made alive so that you can believe in Christ but that believing in Christ you are made alive).

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. But this was not my objection. My objection is the way some use "spiritually dead".

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, some here would see is as sinners able to receive spiritual milk of the Bible, even though paul said that was impossible!

16. MennoSota

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Because Paul does it in Ephesians 2.

God did so in Ephesians 2.

No. You do not believe first. You have the process backward.
    1) God makes me alive.
    2) I believe. (Why do I believe? Because God gives me the gift of faith.)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God enables the sinner to realize that he is lost, jesus saves, and to call upon that Jesus to save!

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Opinions are like noses, everyone has one.:D

HankD

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, just glad the Lord did not base salvation on passing a theological review/exam, as we all would have flunked!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to say my communication skills are failing me (although JonC seems to be picking up what i'm putting down :) )

Paul doesn't use an analogy. He states the condition that we are in, Dead to God. *WE* (People in this thread and another thread) have been comparing a physically dead person with a Spiritually dead person and ascribing similarities..."A corpse cannot reach for a life preserver". A dead man "cannot hear". A Dead man "Cannot walk", etc. TRUE, a physically dead person cannot do any of those things. But what can a Spiritually dead person do? What can he not do? You guys have taken the analogy too far in that you have not stuck with how the Bible characterizes a SPIRITUALLY dead person...see my list above.

I might even go as far as to say Paul wasn't giving an analogy at all, YOU guys are. Paul was relaying spiritual information about what it means to be spiritually dead. You are adding to the intended meaning of the text when you say things like "Dead men cannot reach for a life preserver."

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.