1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Vocative Can Be Quite Provocative...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by TCGreek, Feb 4, 2008.

1. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What, the meanings of "man" and "woman" are not different???

Point well taken.

Just trying to prove the term hadn't died out yet, so I could use it in my argument. :saint:

The feminist agenda is to force absolute equality in every way in every part of society. (This will extend to the church if they can make it do so.) I suggest you look for how this is being carried out in society. For example, there have been recent controversies about male and female use of the same rest rooms.

And I never said that this rendering "promotes" this agenda. I said it was influenced (perhaps unconsciously) by the philosophy of feminism. I try to be very precise in my word usage (though of course I sometimes fail). I don't really think the rendering does great harm in the sense of promoting false doctrine. I just don't think it's that accurate of a rendering.

2. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We determine meaning by usage. Job 42:11 is a clear example of using adelphos and adelphe together. I deduce then that there is an argument for using both words when speaking of both men and women as opposed to adelphoi to mean both.

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Good stuff and clearly shows the difficulty in translating?

The translator wants to be faithful to the original while at the same time making sense in the receptor language.

Well, you know what I'm talking about. :thumbs:

4. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. I take it that those were his biological brothers and sisters. So the use is somewhat different.

2. For example, we find a similar use in Matt 13:55, where adelphoi and adelphai are used to refer to Jesus' siblings.

3. Then how do you agree to generic use of adelphoi in Acts 1:13-16?

4. Get this: The ESV translators put "brothers" in the text and footnote "brothers and sisters" for adelphoi.

5. This tells me that translators are aware of the generic sense of adelphoi.

5. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Um, so you are saying that every time Paul mentions women in connection with a church, that means they were church members? Sorry, that's a very unconvincing argument.

I have folk that come very faithfully to my church who are not on the membership roll. In some cases they never will be, if I can help it. But someone writing a letter to my church might say, "Treat Mr. and Mrs. K. nicely." That would hardly be proof that they were members in our church, though they've come to our evening service for years and years.

The truth is, there is very little Biblical or historical evidence of how the early church handled membership. Strangely, in spite of your efforts, Paul doesn't mention anything like a membership roll in the pastorals. I don't think we can prove that women were or were not members from the Bible or historical records. So I'm saying let's just translate adelphoi as is without supposing things.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Then why specific instructions for the women in 2:9-15 if they were not members of the local church there in Ephesus.

2. Why encourage the women to conduct themselves in a particular manner? Why tell the women that they can be saved if the do certain things (v.15)?

3. Why tell the church who to put on the roll as widows and who not to put?

5:

9 Let a widow be enrolled if she is not less than sixty years of age, having been the wife of one husband, 10 and having a reputation for good works: if she has brought up children, has shown hospitality, has washed the feet of the saints, has cared for the afflicted, and has devoted herself to every good work. 11 But refuse to enroll younger widows, for when their passions draw them away from Christ, they desire to marry 12 and so incur condemnation for having abandoned their former faith. 13 Besides that, they learn to be idlers, going about from house to house, and not only idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying what they should not. 14 So I would have younger widows marry, bear children, manage their households, and give the adversary no occasion for slander. 15 For some have already strayed after Satan. 16 If any believing woman has relatives who are widows, let her care for them. Let the church not be burdened, so that it may care for those who are truly widows.

4. It seems to me that women were members of the church at Ephesus.

A person just has to read 1 Timothy.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Romans 16:1-2

I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a servant of the church at Cenchreae, that you may welcome her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints, and help her in whatever she may need from you, for she has been a patron of many and of myself as well.

2. I don't think I need more convincing proof that women were members of the church.

One more:

1. Why does Paul appeal to the church at Philippi to see that Euodia and Syntyche, two women, members of the church there, to get along.

"Therefore, my brethren, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved.

I entreat Euodia and I entreat Syntyche to agree in the Lord. 3 Yes, I ask you also, true companion, help these women, who have labored side by side with me in the gospel together with Clement and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life."

2. It seems to me that these sisters were right there at Philippi in the church, listening to Paul's letter read.

8. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Careful, there. I haven't agreed completely, though you have a good point. The argument might be made that the use of andres excludes women from adelphoi. Check out A. T. Robertson: "Literally, men, brethren or brother men. More dignified and respectful than just 'brethren.' Demosthenes sometimes said Andres Athênaioi. Cf. our 'gentlemen and fellow-citizens.' Women are included in this address though andres refers only to men."
    Very interesting.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ESV guys put the same explanatory footnote 151 times ! Brothers and sisters needs to be put in the text instead , it's silly not to .

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't have time to answer all of your points today. I have to finish my monthly expense report, then go to meet other missionaries. It's been very interesting so far.

I will just point out that the roll of widows mentioned doesn't have to be the church roll. It could be just a list of widows eligible for church help. How that list was made we are not told.

Concerning Phoebe the servant of the church, having the church hire someone (entirely within the semantic range there) doesn't mean they have to have been a member.

11. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Even aner has a generic use (see Acts 17:34; Matt 12:41; Luke 11:32).

Peter was addressing a mixed of both men and women with the terms andres adelphoi.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

"I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to be of the same mind in the Lord" (Phil 4:2).

1. Why does Paul go through the trouble to tell the church to see to it that two women get along in the Lord, if they were not members?

2. This would be totally irrelevant, John. According to your reasoning, they were not members. They just happen to be visiting.

13. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

John,

1. You made reference to Jas 2:15 earlier:

"Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food."

2. I guess the sister wasn't a member of the church. Who was she?

14. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Clearly women were members of the church. There were deaconesses, prophetesses, baptized, called believers, told how to wear their hair in worship, in one case causers of strife inside the church, and perhaps there was even a female apostle (Junia). That women were church members is a point that is painfully obvious.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

1. Luke says,

"Nevertheless, more and more men and women believed in the Lord and were added to their number" (Acts 5:14, emphasis added).

2. I guess these women really didn't become Christians, or if they became Christians they stayed at home.

3. I don't like those alternatives. I rather go with what the Bible says: Women believed in the Lord and were added to the church (see 2:47).

16. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Preface of the ESV:
    Returning to the text of Deuteronomy:

If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you, he shall serve you six years, and in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you.
    Deuteronomy 15:12 ESV

The Hebrew word underlined is masculine gender with a literal meaning of “brothers”.
    The LXX translated it as “adelphos”, “brothers“.
    Clearly in the context, it applies to men and women.
    It’s apparent that in the time when the LXX was made, the term was understood in a broader sense.

I am well able to differentiate its full meaning.
    I’d rather expand my understanding of lingustic history than insert my cultural norms upon the translation.
    It's purely a preference.

I personally am most comfortable with the literal gloss of “brothers” or even the cognitive “kinsman“ or “countrymen“ (as in the NAS) with a footnote to expand and clarify it’s meaning to those who are thickheaded.

Rob

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is good research, Rob. It's about where I am, too.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For TC, cowboymatt, etc., you make some excellent arguments for women being church members in the first century, and for the generic use of adelphoi. I'll take it all under advisement and consider and research it carefully when I can. That's about all I have time for right now (almost bedtime in Japan), and I have a very busy day tomorrow and may not be able to post at all.

Oyasumi nasai. ("Sleep well") :sleeping_2:

19. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Like John I find this to be solid data.

And the NT writers were greatly influenced by the LXX.

There's no doubt of the generic use of adelphoi.