1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The War on Reason

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Oct 21, 2014.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://forgottenword.org/johnmacarthur2.html

Refer to this article as it's quite informative. I have emailed all the churches I sent letters and to date no response.

All is quite interesting the Hyper Calvinists are open to reason. Yes lately I contacted a pastor and he was ready to defend his views and quickly responded. However he is not teaching another gospel so I left him alone.

2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

yes, there is a war on reason - big time. the whole charismatic movement is an EXPERIENCED based faith instead of a TRUTH based faith. Not that truth does not involve experience, but it is a distinction and matter of ultimate authority (Isa. 8:19 versus Isaiah 8:20).

Charismatic circular reasoning claims the Bible is their final authority BUT as properly interpreted according to their EXPERIENCED based faith where their feelings and sensations are the only properly qualified basis by the Spirit of God to interpret scripture correctly. So, ask them how do you know your interpretation is correct, they claim special revelation, special spiritual leadership, special spiritual insight that comes by being spiritual due to the baptism in the Spirit.

Truth based faith is impossible from the mind, as inspired scripture is provided in keeping with the laws of grammar which are logical and rational and contextually verifiable. God is not the author of Confusion. God is a rational being, even though His Word may be above our rational ability due to our finite understanding.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have sent a few letters to Charismatic churches however I thought the emerging and progressive churches are more heretical since they deny the essentials of the faith clearly but charismatics vary. However charismatics are a bigger force and why Mac addressed them big time lately.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suppose the flip side would be reason without experience (a reason based faith where experience falls to intellect). I have seen examples of both (experience without reason and reason without experience). Both are dangerous, and both seem (IMHO and experience) to have influenced mainstream Christianity to an extent.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

As I said the issue is not lack of experience for either point of view. The issue is which is final authority. The Bible makes it clear that scriptures trumps experience whenever there is a clash as final authority - Isa. 8:19-20.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs: While I may disagree that the issue is not lack of experience...I've seen enough of that to go around...I do agree with your point if we are speaking of final authority. I didn't mean to come off as disagreeing with your post (I was just trying...poorly...to say that there is another, just as damaging, problem in the other direction).

7. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

:thumbsup::applause: