1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Way of the Master Moment episode- What must a missionary have to serve?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Oct 19, 2017.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was listening to WOTM radio and Paul Washer was on. He said when he interviews missionaries he asks them if they would open their bibles in the middle of the street and start preaching. He said this is what he is most looking for in missionaries and those that are willing to do this are most called to the ministry of missions. Do you agree or disagree? How rare it is to find missionaries like this these days in this world of the modern gospel.

And there goes another moment gone forever.
    Go share your faith while you still have time.

2. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I vehemently disagree. A missionaries job is to get among the people, to become one of the people. To gain their trust and show them Christ. At times that may mean being confrontational. But standing out in the street and ranting like a mad man is a great way to ostracize people, rather than reaching them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and in some countries - he would be thrown in jail - not for preaching - but for preaching Christ

As Woody said - the natives may think you are a mad man, and if your are not extremely fluent in the language and dialect - you will remove all doubt.!

• Like Like x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that the most willing are the most called. I think Scripture offers enough evidence to support my objection (e.g., Moses, Gideon, Jacob).

As far as a criteria, I suggest at a minimum the criteria of deacon insofar as character goes because the missionary represents is an ambassador of Christ sent as a representative of a church body and the churches support and authority. A missionary must be a godly person with a good reputation, a disciple of Christ functioning as a part of a local church.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First Washer has no idea what he is talking about. He has interjected his preference as if it is scripture. When one cannot tell the difference between the two one is just lost.

Further, don't simply go and share your faith. That would be a failure to obey scripture. Go and make disciples.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you have been told countless times one cannot make disciples unless people are saved first. Go and share your faith while you still have time is the motto to obey. Then once the elect are drawn to salvation by God, then can they be discipled.

7. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a byproduct of the modern gospel message so its no wonder you would be against open air preaching.

8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a WOTM sycophant so its no wonder you would be for open air preaching.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you have been shown beyond any reasonable doubt, from scripture we do obey motto's, we obey scripture which says to make disciples without excuse. When one has the goal, as you do, to simply preach in the public square not caring about who receives it or not and feeling no obligation to make disciples of those who hear you then you are in complete contradiction to scripture on this issue.

This is a natural ideology of Calvinism. It is what Calvinism does to evangelism.

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As scripture has shown you many many times its God who draws the elect to salvation. Its God who does the soul winning, and all we do is obey. You rely too much on methods, but I rely on the Holy Spirit to bring His elect to salvation. Its not about methods, its about scripture.

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No you do not rely on the HG ( that is your cop out) when you are ignoring scripture. Paul certainly did not support your Calvinistic falsehoods:

Pro_11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Psa 126:6 He who goes out weeping, bearing the seed for sowing, shall come home with shouts of joy, bringing his sheaves with him.

1Co 9:19 For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win more of them.
    1Co 9:20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though not being myself under the law) that I might win those under the law.
    1Co 9:21 To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.
    1Co 9:22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, that by all means I might save some.

#11 Revmitchell, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think Mr. Washer is very much confused about what missions is and what an obedient servant of the Lord does. Yes, I could stand in the middle of the street and preach but that is because it is easy. There is no commitment and there is no human contact. What is much harder is going to the widow's house, washing her bathroom, making her a meal and then sitting down to a cup of tea with her while we open the Bible together. THAT is what we are called to do. When one farms, one doesn't just walk out to any old field and toss seed but instead they prepare the soil, they till it, fertilize it and carefully plant the seed. Yes, not every seed that is sown will be one that grows but when one does, it is not just a random act but a purposefully nurtured plant. THAT is what gives a mature plant - not just tossing it out to the wind and hoping for the best.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They should be willing to do what The Spirit leads them to do. Street preaching has its place, but it is a much more limited place than you seem to think.

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course we cannot make disciples until after salvation.
    And you have been told countless times that disciple making is the logical next step after salvation.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the quote on your post - Sapper never said he was against open air preaching. You need to read his ENTIRE post.
    So I will ask you outright - are you against Friendship evangelism?

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How's that working for you? How many have you seen saved, baptized, become church members, and be discipled due to your "street preaching" ministry? Thousands? Hundreds? Ten? One?

17. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you are a man-follower incapable of discerning Truth from falsehood. :(

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You, young man, have no idea what anyone is a by product of nor do you have the biblical acumen to be able to tell him anything about this or any other theological topic. You parrot weak calvinistic teachings based on books of men. That is all you have.

19. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He holds to only open air preachers can be missionaries?

20. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism teaches the truth on salvation proper, but he does err on its application!