1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wessex Gospels

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone provide any info on the "Wessex", or West Saxon Gospels, which appeared in the 900s AD? I have been told that this was the first translation of the Four Gospels into Old English. I have seen the usual Internet sites, which don't tell us very much, so I was wondering if anyone here has any more authoritative info.

2. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the book entitled THE LOLLARD BIBLE, Margaret Deanesly wrote:
    "The earliest surviving gospels, which can properly be called a translation, were the West Saxon gospels of an otherwise unknown Aelfirc, monk of Bath, who wrote about 900, or soon after. There are seven manuscripts of this version, some of a good deal later date" (p. 136).

Deanesly wrote: "Such Saxon gospels as have been preserved in manuscripts date from about 1050-1100" (p. 137).

A book entitled THE GOSPELS: GOTHIC, ANGLO-SAXON, WYCLIFFE, AND TYNDALE VERSIONS [arranged in parallel columns] by Joseph Bosworth has the text of the Anglo-Saxon gospels.

In his preface, Joseph Bosworth wrote: "One peculiar feature of the Anglo-Saxon version may be noticed." "Those terms, which are adopted in other versions from the Hebrew, Greek, and Latin, are generally translated by indigenous Anglo-Saxon compounds" (p. xvii).

Examples mentioned by Bosworth include:
    for centurion, the Anglo-Saxon has "hundred-man"
    for disciple, the Anglo-Saxon has "learning youth"
    for Sabbath, the Anglo-Saxon has "day of rest"
    for scribe, the Anglo-Saxon has 'book man"
    for Resurrection, the Anglo-Saxon has "a rising again"

3. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I can definitely see some changes. Can you imagine trying to decipher an Anglo-Saxon version today?

Check out http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/4506/luke-ws.html for the Gospel of Luke in Anglo-Saxon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.