1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Westminster Confession of Faith.

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by jonnycool, Jun 7, 2007.

1. jonnycool

jonnycool New Member

The Westminster Confession of Faith.
    http://www.reformed.org/documents/i....org/documents/westminster_conf_of_faith.html

I thought it would be good if us Calvinistic ones got together to discuss our differences and our agreements rather than argue all the time with free willers.

CHAPTER I.
    Of the holy Scripture.
    I. Although the light of nature, and the works of creation and providence, do so far manifest the goodness, wisdom, and power of God, as to leave men inexcusable; yet are they not sufficient to give that knowledge of God, and of his will, which is necessary unto salvation; therefore it pleased the Lord, at sundry times, and in divers manners, to reveal himself, and to declare that his will unto his Church; and afterwards for the better preserving and propagating of the truth, and for the more sure establishment and comfort of the Church against the corruption of the flesh, and the malice of Satan and of the world, to commit the same wholly unto writing; which maketh the holy Scripture to be most necessary; those former ways of God's revealing his will unto his people being now ceased.

Why are we left inexcusable if the evidence is insufficient to save?

Does anyone know what this means? Word of mouth must have been the way at the beginning but I don't see this state lasting for long, are there scriptures that tell us when men first started to write things down?

john.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I'm in.

I'd rather do it a chapter at a time, and a thread for each. One for the Scriptures., etc.

Would you be willing to do the same for the LBCF?

3. jonnycool

jonnycool New Member

Hello Tom.

There is a Tabular Comparison of the 1646 WCF and the 1689 LBCF http://www.proginosko.com/docs/wcf_lbcf.html

Is this helpful? I don't mind how it runs and would be willing to follow your lead.

This is an error, ...yet are they not sufficient...? Should it read ...they are not sufficient to give that knowledge of God...

john.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

John, that is a great idea.

The "freewillers" do not seem to be budging, their minds are made up and short of intervention from God, there is nothing more that we can do.

It is important to stand up for God's truth but there comes a point when you have discussed all you can with a particular person.

Many on this forum would not believe the Doctrines of Grace if God told them directly so further beating of the dead horse is a waste of time for many.

This idea of yours is a great idea not only for us, but as we get into the details, the ones who do not understand these doctrines but do not have hard hearts toward the Gospel may just learn.

My only request is that we use, primarily the LBC with perhaps references to the Westminster at times where we might find them helpful.

Of course, the word of God must be the foundation for all of this discussion.

5. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Ignorance of the Gospel does not excuse man's rejection of God's attributes, which they know through nature's light - the order of the universe points to a supremely wise and powerful "first cause", a progenitor, a creator. "They glorified him not as God", and there was no excuse for that, because they knew Him, even His eternal power and Godhead. Sinners are sinners whether they've heard the Gospel or not. God has no obligation to give sinners "sufficient" evidence to be saved. They have rejected Him and they are already without excuse.

He gives the Gospel by mercy, not obligation.

Things were written down very early on, but I've never pictured Jonah walking into Ninevah with a set of scrolls tucked under his arm?? I think the main idea here is that in this age (church), God has preserved His word in scripture (writing) and no longer communicates with His people directly through a prophet or any other means.