1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wise Men and Nativity Scene and Day of Salvation?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by RalphIII, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RalphIII

RalphIII New Member

Hello All,
    I haven't posted in a while and hope this is the proper thread? I just wanted some opinions on two things. Please have a Biblical basis with your responses...

1) WHAT IS YOUR OPINION AS TO WHEN THE WISE MEN VISITED JESUS?

Our Pastor had a Nativity scene on display, which he brought back from Israel, with the typical three Wise Men depicted. We were discussing the display along with our Youth Minister, when the later made the comment the Magi didn't actually visit Jesus for "three" years. Therefore the typical Nativity display isn't historically correct.

This prompted me to study the Bible and research that specific question, as indeed the Bible doesn't give a definitive date. There is nothing which supports a three year period however.

There are several good articles (Pastors/Scholars) which state they beleive the Wise Men would have visited from 41 days (earliest) to upwards of 2 years (latest). I found myself agreeing with their biblical account, until I realized the Bible actually allows the visitation to have occured even at or immediately after Jesus's birth. I agree the maximum period was 2 years but such a later date is highly unlikely, as the Bible shows.

I would like to get your opinion first before giving my full explanation and Biblical interpretation.

2) WHAT IS THE BAPTIST'S GREAT EMPHASIS ON THE "SPECIFIC" DATE OR MOMENT OF ONE'S SALVATION? IS THERE DEFINITIVE SCRIPTURE FOR THIS?

I've heard some say you cannot be a Christian minus having this life changing occurance and thus a definitive date of salvation? My Pastor said as much this past Sunday which bothers me a little.

I was raised Lutheran but always felt a very close/special relationship with God. This relationship grew very strong in my teenage years and was Biblically based. Not necessarily Lutheran Church based, so to say.

Anyhow, I am most definetly saved and have been from a very early age. That's not the question. The point is I cannot give a definitive date/moment and beleive it is dangerously misguided to think everyone could.

I can understand there are many who can give a definitive date/moment, due to being older and having a life changing epiphany. However, I don't think such would necessarily apply to children or possibly others. After all, the importance isn't WHEN you were saved but instead THAT you are saved.

God Bless