1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Word Of God In English ...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Liberal to me in this case refers to how dynamic the translation was, how the team determined to translate it off the hebeww/Greek sources, so do see the Hcsb as being more literal than the newest Niv, with the esv more literal to a tad than the HCSB,,,

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Toss out your liberal and conservative designations. Because a particular version is more dynamic than another does not have anything to do with liberalism whatsoever.

Let's take the NLTse for example. Of the 87 members of the translating team --19 of them worked on the ESV. That's 22%.

Do you know the quality of scholars who worked on the NLTse team? Do you know any of the following --a small sampling.

Daniel Block, Willem VanGemeren, Robert Stein, Philip W.Comfort, D.A. Carson, Doug Moo, Thomas Schreiner, Harold Hoehner, Robert Mounce, Gordon Wenham, Richard Platt.

If you would take the time to really read you wouldn't be making most of the statements you do in this or the other forums you participate in.

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I already said, there were evangelicals of fine report on nasb/Nkjv/Niv/Nlt/esv et all, but I use liberal as meaning dynamic tendacies, with conservation as literal/formal!

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, you have no right to use those terms whatsoever. If you think that the more dynamic translations such as the NLTse is liberal --then you would have to conclude that the translators are also liberal. And that won't wash because they are among the most conservative Evangelical Bible scholars. Don't be inconsistent.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not using liberal/conservative as regards to their theologies overall, but as to if they hold and subscribe to having a more formal or more dynamic view of transaltion...

Please do not read more then was intended!

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A more formal, or a less formal approach to translating has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or conservative. You just acknowledged that you were not speaking of the theological inclinations of translators. Therefore, you have no right, at all to use terms which have no relevance to the conversation whatsoever. I know you are word-challenged. But it is no excuse to use such emotionally charged words as "liberal" "conservative" when it comes to Bible translations. You don't get to upend the meanings of words to further your agenda.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is my so called Agenda?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To cause utter chaos.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops. Merriam-Webster didn't get the memo:

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that Merriam-Webster is calling the shots here.

It actually said:

"Not strict or literal;loose or approximate: A liberal translation."

So, that's rather clumsy. Not strict or literal is loose or liberal. But the word "approximate" was also used to describe liberal. All Bible versions are approximations --including the most literal. And very literal translations have nothing to do with exactness.

It's funny. A recent edition of the Zurich Bible promotes the following blurb regarding it's translational method:

"Maximal philological exactitude."

An interlinear operates under a word replacement method --which is 75% -85% successful. But an interlinear is not a true translation.

A good translation seeks to be meaningfull. Yes, I deliberately spelled it incorrectly. A real translation carries as much meaning as possible. A supposedly literal translation cannot do that. It is restrained from doing so because it is too mechanical in its method.

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be giving me WAY too much credit, as the Board is able to have spirited discussions even without my input!

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give examples of translations that you believe are too literal (that are too mechanical in its method to carry sufficient meaning).

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think Rippon meant an Interlinear version,,,

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I doubt it. Interlinear versions are mechanical...they are study tools. If he did, then he is confused on FE translations. When we speak of liberal in translation or FE, we are not speaking interlinear...when we speak "literal" we are not speaking interlinear but rather the mode or goal of the translation..I think you are giving Rippon too little credit (I disagree with him sometimes...but I respect his opinion).

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interlinears are not real translations. Young's is about as much of a 'translation' as is The Message. And that means both are not actual translations when you come down to it. Though both are on opposite ends of the spectrum --both perform a disservice to a Bible reader desiring to hear from God. The only plus that an interlinear would have compared with The Message is that one could construct a functionally-equivalent version from most of it. One couldn't do that with The Message.

I am speaking of certain renderings in various formal versions being mechanical.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you using that term to really mean "wooden?"

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By mechanical I mean too word-driven. A translation that communicates well to the target audience is one that is not into word replacement. Yes, "translation" that is driven by the lexicon is wooden. A translation has to be contextually understood. What's the purpose of saying things that are gibberish to the reader? Put the literal in the footnotes and the more understandable reading in the text.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, by the word translations you mean certain renderings. Yes, I will give a few. This time from the NKJV, sice it has been neglected in these conversations.

Phil. 3:10
    NKJV : fellowship of his sufferings
    NIV : participation in his sufferings

1 Peter 1:13
    NKJV : gird up the loins of your mind
    NIV: with minds that are alert and fully sober
    NASB : prepare your minds for action
    HCSB : with your minds ready for action
    ESV : preparing your minds for action

2 Peter 3:4
    NKJV,ESV,HCSV: Where is the promise of His coming?
    NIV : Where is this 'coming' he promised?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why not instead keep the more 'wodden" translation, if that keeps what the original intended meaning was, and explain that to modern readers by use of study notes?

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have the peculiar habit of quoting me yet not noting what I have said. Read what I said. I gave my explanation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.