1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Word Of God In English ...

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I meant translations as in NASB, ESV, NIV, etc. I ask because none that I know of are "mechanical."...but I do have a limited knowledge. I typically use the NASB but also have an ESV and my pastor uses the NKJV (so I have that also...just to keep up). But none of those are mechanical or difficult to read. But if you are speaking of specific words/phrases within translated Bibles....then perhaps one can critique all current translations.

#101 JonC, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The more form-oriented ones such as the NKJV,NASB,ESV and NRSV all have many occasions in which they translate mechanically rather than a more careful and reasoned meaning in context. Real translation is not mere word replacement. Thankfully there are a number of times within the previously mentioned versions where they translate words according to their meaning in context.
    Mechanical doesn't merely mean difficult to read as I tried to explain earlier. Of course mechanical does imply less than natural or even English.
    Case-by-case would be good. But, as I said the versions I have listed are going to have many more occasions where you'll witness mechanical translations than in the mediating versions and certainly a lot less than the functional ones.

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are we concerned ion the ultimate sense to making sure that our translation read smoothly and is correct in all areas of english grammar, or that they reflect the besy of what the greek/hebrew meant, even if stilted and ackward to us at times?

And have read and used the Nas entire Christian life, and have not found it to be "wooden"

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are a trip.
    Good for you. Where in my quote did I say anything about the NASB being wooden?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. I think that it goes both ways (all translations have the potential of missing the meaning...one may be too mechanical and miss the meaning by trying to be too literal....another may try to carry that meaning but ultimately misinterpret the text or fail to carry an additional nuance). The solution, IMHO, is study...regardless of which translation one chooses. If we realize (and I think most do) that translations are lenses to the original, with their own potential weaknesses, then these weaknesses can be overcome.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm in agreement with everything you said...except the last phrase. All translations have their imperfections;all have weaknesses. No translation can cover all bases. So how can weaknesses be overcome? There are trade-offs in translations --compromises that must be made because only one choice can be put into the text. How can weaknesses be overcome?

Some renderings in the more form-oriented versions can be modified so the meaning is expressed more clearly. And in some of the more dynamic translations a flattened-out reading can be redone so it becomes more formal. But the ideal can never be fully realized. The best imperfect solution lies in the mediating camp where the best of both worlds is in balanced translations.

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that there is still something that gets left behind when mediating stance is taken though....

Still see that formal/literal is the better approach, as long as we realise that there are still times that one must use a more dynamic rendering to get point across..

And among the mediating versions, isn't the HCSB perhaps the best one?

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whether a formal, functional or mediating stance is taken something is always left behind. But, as I said, there is no perfection solution. Every translator has to make trade-offs because when making an interpretative decision.

Using the word best is a subjective judgment call. If you prefer it to the others, then fine. Have you read any of the others?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What would you call mediating versions though?

Have read and used the 1984 Niv/2011,Esv/Hcsb/Nlt, and would see the Hcsb and the 1984 Niv best of that lot!

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have a permanent case of amnesia?

11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Could be, as reading all of these various posters have given me "My head hurts!"

Would say that the SBC did a tad more literal job with the HCSB then the Niv did, wouldn't you agree?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.