1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "Word"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Benjamin, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just how alive do you believe It is?

[​IMG]

Do you normally capitalize it when
    referring to the Bible?

Why or why not?

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually think that "word" in reference in Heb. 4:12 is not Scripture but the message of the gospel. That fits the context very well. And logos has the basic idea of "message" in Hebrews to coincide with the "confession" motif found throughout.

However, I would only capitalize "word" when referencing Jesus. The word of God does not need to be capitalized. Neither do pronouns for God. But I write research papers for academia. I'm not allowed to capitalize these since it is bad grammar.

3. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

I don't understand how whether or not I use a capital W for "Word" (as in the phrase "the Word of God") makes any difference whatsoever to how alive I consider it to be. I follow the normal rule in English, and start "proper nouns" - names given to specific things, such as "The Cenotaph", "Buckingham Palace", "The White House", and "The Channel Tunnel", "The Royal Albert Hall", "The Metropolitan Opera House", "The Brooklyn Bridge" - with capital letters, but that doesn't indicate that I believe those things to have life.

Hebrews 4.12 says that the the word/Word of God is living and powerful, but I see no basis for your suggestion that a person's belief or unbelief of those words is shown by whether they write "Word" or "word".

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are saying the Word is not a proper noun? Never?

(Joh 1:1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Did I suggest such a thing???

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the Word mean Christ in regards to bringing life?

(Deu 8:3) And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

(Isa 55:10) For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater:

(Isa 55:11) So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some refuse to hear it but is the Word of God (the scripture) ever empty?

(Jer 23:29) Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

If it is not empty what is in it?

I’m not trying to pick a fight (although if I did I’m sure I could get a lot more responses on this board :smilewinkgrin:) I’m just curious to hear some opinions about the life of the Word and what that life is.

7. David Lamb

David Lamb Active Member

To quote your own words, Benjamin, "Did I suggest such a thing???"

I neither said nor meant that "Word" is never a proper noun.

So what did I mean? Well, your original post asked, "The 'Word' - Just how alive do you believe It is?" You then asked, "Do you normally capitalize it when referring to the Bible?"

I assumed that the second question was linked to the first - that in your view, a person's belief about the "alive-ness" of the Bible is connected with whether or not they use a capital first letter when referring to it.

It seems from your post 4 that I was wrong in assuming that the two questions in the OP were linked, so I apologise for the misunderstanding.