1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Words vs. the Message

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by AVBunyan, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deacon jd

deacon jd New Member

I guess I should have been a little more clear. The rock I was referring to is the OP which appears to have only been posted to provoke thought and possibly lead some to the truth. So I guess really the rock that has been thrown is the truth about the Word of God. I'll leave it up to you to decide who the pack of ...... (well that wouldn't be nice would it?)

2. Keith M

Keith M New Member

If the truth is compared to a rock, then the OP is but grains of sand. It was written to provoke debate and to promote one-version-onlyism. The truth is that the words must accurately reflect the message or else the words are useless. That is very plain and simple. Those who place more importance on the individual words than on the true message have no true understanding.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I responded to the OP's points in post #7...deaconjd, perhaps you could respond to what I posted. Thanks.

4. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That ol' man sure seems to get around... alot of people cite him.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

They shouldn't. He was into "christian rock"

:applause: :thumbs: :tongue3:

Oops! Wrong thread!

6. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

Missed it

I believe the majority have missed my intent - I think Deacon jd may have seen it.

What I did was to see what the scriptures said about the words vs. the message. I believe I showed that, based upon the references, that God places more emphasis on His individual words. God likes his words. His word is full of his words. How do I know this - I just compared the references with the verses using the verses using words vs verses using message. You folks refuse to accept it the simple results of a research using a simple condordance.

What modern christianity has done has made God's individual words secondary and created a new modern doctrine called, "The Message".

Problem today is folks are questioning God's words - just look at this forum. Was it badger or... where the verses really in Mark...is it of or in (can't be both they are spelled differently and have different meanings) and on and on. All that is goiing on today is, "Yea, hath God said?"

A message is made up of individual words. Today a weak message is going out because it is void of God's words - and the power is found in God's words.

What has been done is made up new words and created and even new messages like, "Commit your life to Christ, Christ loves the Christ-rejecting sinner, Pray this prayer, ask Jesus into your heart, etc." None of those messages and others are sound doctrine.

Now what some of you hinted at is because I place an emphasis on the words you are saying the message doesn't matter too me. I believe the message matters but for it to have real power it must contian God's words not man's.

Yes, I was trying to provoke self-examination by getting you to examine what the scriptures said regarding words vs. message. I posted the findings - run the references yourself. Isn't that what the scriptures are for?

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A liar once used "research using a simple concordance" to falsely claim the NKJV took "blood" out of the Bible.

Further, the word "words" can mean individual units of speech and it can also mean "sayings". When Jesus said that His "words" would not pass away concerning the prophecies He made... do you really think He was concerned that He be exactly quoted? No. He was saying that His "sayings" or prophecies would not pass away but be fulfilled.

You have hung this argument on an artificial limitation to the definitions of rhema and logos.

Nope. That has been the standard since the first copies and translations were made.

You are right but not in the way you think. The primary folks question God's "Word" are the version onlyists. They are the ones who call translations "perversions" and the like while God is using them to save and sanctify sinners and build His Church. It is primarily you guys that try to instill doubt in people who would otherwise read, trust, and follow their Bible.
    That is an academic discussion far less damaging than the wholesale condemnation of faithful translations of the Bible.

Right. And the individual words are only important in translations with regard to how well they transmit the message God originally inspired in completely different languages.
    Literally millions of English readers are being saved, sanctified, and fruitful without using the KJV. I know and have known just as many dead KJVO churches as non-KJVO churches.

What is wrong with "commit your life to Christ"? Jesus told the rich young ruler to sell all he had, give it to the poor, and follow Him. On many occasions, He challenged people to commit and not just to profess. The NT warns us about false professors who don't commit.

As for the others, they aren't the result of MV's. The easy-believism pushers I've run across have overwhelmingly been rabid KJVO's. Typically they've been in some way associated with or Hyles. One exception would be Billy Graham... and even he does a better job preaching repentance than the Hyles disciples I've heard.

The KJV does not contain a single word directly inspired by God. The KJV translators explicitly denied it and there is no biblical or historical proof otherwise.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW, even if you proved that the words were primary and the message secondary... you have still fallen terribly short of proving that a) only one set of English words qualify and b) that the words of the KJV are THE right words without deviation.

9. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The truth is that you have missed it all together. Unless you have the original autographs, you do not have God's true words! You have man's version of God's words. The KJV is no different than any other Bible version in that it is simply the version of God's words that was agreed upon by those who translated it. The KJV is only one version of God's translated words. There are other versions and most of them convey the message God intended for us to have.

10. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

Thanks Keith - You perfectly summed up the modern thinking and it is now in writing:
    1. "Unless you have the original autographs, you do not have God's true words! You have man's version of God's words."
    Interpretation - nobody today, according to this thinking, has God's true words.

2. "The KJV is no different than any other Bible version in that it is simply the version of God's words...."
    Interpretaion - For all practical purpose all versions are ok as long as the message is there somewhere.

Nicely put Keith - You have every right to believe the above.

So - since we can only guess as to what God really said maybe we should all get drunk - stay drunk and forget this whole business.

I refuse to take this modern approach - some of us still believe we have God's exact words in a King James Bible and when when someone would ask me to hand them the words of God I will hand them a King James Bible with no apologies or doubts.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem with your claim is that this isn't "modern thinking". It is what fundamental, Bible believing, honest Christians have believed since the earliest days of the church.

Your idea (unless you want to use the RCC's Vulgate Only position as an authority) is the heterodox claim.

Really? So if every faithful version is consistent in condeming drunkeness you will disregard all of them if the wording of one of them cannot be claimed to be exclusively God's Word?

Since all of the mss used by Erasmus to collate the TR differed... shouldn't you likewise toss it onto the heap and go get drunk? Obviously if the source texts are corrupt any translation of them will be corrupt, right? Unless of course you believe that an RCC scholar was divinely inspired. If you do, why don't you adopt his theology?

Actually that is a modern approach. An approach contrived relatively recently by vain men.

12. AVBunyan

AVBunyan New Member

From 1611 til early 1900's the majority of saved folks and even lost folks took the stand that the the KJV was it - the standard.

I've had enough of this thread - I've captured the info I needed regarding this issue. Did you folks ignore the references regarding words vs. message? It seems your only response has been, "KJVonly - man-made doctrine!"

You folks are welcome to continue on without me here.

Mods - I'm for shutting this one down - nothing more will become of this.

Thanks to all who participated.

#52 AVBunyan, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  13. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

As per my ususal policy this thread is closed at the request of its author.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.