1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The "WORK"

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Tazman, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Tazman

Tazman New Member

What are "Works" according to the bible.

I've read so much on this site with the word "Works" being applied to things that it should not be applied to.

For example:

Repentance: Is this a Work according to scripture or a response to Gods calling directly linked to salvation.

Obedience: Is this Work or is it a Command directly linked to salvation.

Following Jesus: Is this Work or is it a Command directly linked to salvation.

Baptism (Faith, water, in Jesus): Is this Work or a Command directly linked to salvation?

Confession: Is this a work or command?

Faith: This has to be the biggest "Work" of all, because all of the above is done in faith according to all passages of the bible (not just one taken out of context Romans 10:8-11 :D ).

If "WORK" is whatever you do then Why do we change our minds? Isn't that doing something? Don't we turn our hearts to the Lord? Isn't that "DOING" something.

People Falsely call anything that Physically done a work without considering the emotional work as well.

What about Obedience? Is it just an act of Heart and mind but no strength?

Does God not act on our behalf when ALL of the above are "DONE"?

For all OSAS believers, What biblically is a "WORK"? And Please give scriptures and not your opinion.

2. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

No, silly, because it's GOD who changes our minds for us. He regenerates us without any say-so from us. God gives us the faith we need to obey, and we don't have any choice in the matter. Since it's all His doings--and none of ours--its not a "work". Get it? :D

3. Tazman

Tazman New Member

No, silly, because it's GOD who changes our minds for us. He regenerates us without any say-so from us. God gives us the faith we need to obey, and we don't have any choice in the matter. Since it's all His doings--and none of ours--its not a "work". Get it? :D </font>[/QUOTE]I will ignore the fact that several of your comments are not scriptural, and just ask you to show me in the bible that the above mentioned items are works by biblical definition.

Let me help you. You CAN'T show me because the Bible doesn't say it. You do. You're not speaking Gods will, but your own. [​IMG]

4. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

I will go a step further--NONE of my comments were scriptural! And to answer your question: none of the things you mentioned are "works" by Biblical definition. I was being facetious. [​IMG]

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

James talks about works that accompany a genuine faith and he talks about works from a creedal or dead faith.