1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Wustification of America

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Revmitchell, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Wusification of America

Instead of nurturing God given male attributes like leadership and competitiveness, the male students have been groomed in the traits most common to women such as methodical working, and attentiveness in class.
    Wednesday, June 14, 2006
    By Tedd Webb Dr. Tony Sewell is on to something. This renowned academic from the UK claims boys are leaving school unprepared to deal with life. They have been a victim of the feminization of education.

Instead of nurturing God given male attributes like leadership and competitiveness, the male students have been groomed in the traits most common to women such as methodical working, and attentiveness in class.

I have been saying the same thing for years, only referring to it as “The Wusification of America”.

Since the 70's, societal engineers have been preaching for men to be more “sensitive”. Sadly it is not what women want, need or what will provide for a happy life for young males. Stop it right now!

Dr Sewell, a leading educational consultant and author, called for the replacement of some coursework with final exams and greater emphasis on outdoor adventure on the curriculum. He also said they should recruit more male teachers.

How many more stories are we going to hear about schools suspending male students because they brought a toy soldier to school, who was wearing a fake toy rifle. Zero tolerance for anything that resembles a weapon. Feminism at work here fellas.

You want sensitivity? I got it for you, ….right here!!!!!

That’s how I see it!

Copyright © 2003-2006 Clear Channel. All rights reserved.

2. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Sounds like a rip-off/rehash of Ann Douglas' Feminization of America only more insulting to both men and women.

That kind of taunting works best on the insecure. It reminds me how the boilerroom brokers work: "You have to ask your wife if you can invest your savings with us? What are you, a wuss?"

Is paying attention in class a bad thing?

More stories of boys getting suspended for bringing a soldier doll to school? I haven't heard one yet.

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

What have the church leaders done to try and correct this horrible "wusification of America", I mean besides teaching everyone not to resist evil? If this is really evil then we should meet it head on look it square in the eye then submit, right?

#3 poncho, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2006
  4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, when I saw just the title of this thread, I knew that I was going to have an anxiety attack and sure enough, I did.

For your information, the word "wuss" or "wussy" is a combination of the two words, "wimp" and ......well, you know the other word.

When a man calls another man that word, he is insulting the other man and women in general. He is saying, "You are pathetic....just like a woman".

It is a grossly offensive word, in my opinion. I will give you a couple of points for originality with the word, though.

However, it is nice to hear a man admit that "listening skills" and "attentiveness" aren't natural masculine traits. :laugh: :laugh: We women have known that for eons. Well.....you did stereotype us all, did you not?

And, no. At the schools that I have taught in, guns are not allowed. Neither real nor plastic. Nor knives nor swords nor whips nor chains.

No weapons of any sort.
    No sir.
    Zero tolerance.
    No apologies.

I could go on and on.....but....

.....a man's man like you is probably not paying attention to me in the first place! :flower: :saint:

5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It never occured to me that this word had such an origin. Had it I certainly would not have used it. I opologize. I just posted the title as it appeared in the news article. Please forgive me.

6. North Carolina Tentmaker

We can take the offensive word out of the debate but that does not address the problem. Men and women, boys and girls are very different and there is a huge problem with the feminization of men and boys not only in America but in the world.

What are the causes of this problem? I don’t think anyone has set out to destroy young men but the two biggest root causes seem evident to me: a growth of single parent families where the father is absent and a state educational system made up of predominantly female educators. Another part of the problem is the lack of outdoor time.

Richard Louv has a great book out called, Last Child in the Woods : Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder. He has a great deal of evidence linking a lack of outdoor adventure to ADD and other behavioral problems in boys. I would recommend this book to anyone involved with youth. You can get it from Amazon for less than $20.

Zero tolerance for weapons in schools? Yes I think this can be carried too far and has been in many cases. I have read stories of kids being suspended for toy guns and nail clippers. We need some common sense on this issue. I remember my grandfather telling me that a boy or man without a pocket knife in his pocket is not properly dressed. It was as important as a belt or hat. There is a knife in my pocket right now and has been every day since I was about 8. The only time I take it out is when I have to fly and then I put it in my suitcase. I have never stabbed anyone. Boys should be allowed to carry pocket knives and they should be allowed to play with toy guns until they are old enough to learn how to use real ones. It is a part of being boys and growing into men.

What is the solution to this problem? Boys need men in their lives. Fathers who are active in their boys lives is the best solution. Male teachers can help. So can uncles and grandfathers. So can female teachers who recognize that boys and girls are different. All children, boys and girls need more time outside. They need to go hunting and fishing and camping. They need to get dirty and hot and tired.

The last thing we need are more sensitive men. What we need are men with the strength of character and moral courage to stand for what is right in a world that is going wrong.

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Help me to understand something here. Why is "sensitivity" directly opposed to "strength of character" and "moral courage"? Why can't a person, either man or woman, possess strength of character and moral courage and still be sensitive to the needs of others and give of themselves accordingly.

I really don't understand. :confused:

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you. I believe you. Let's move on...:flower:

9. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :laugh:

Perfect avatar for you, Poncho.:thumbs:

10. North Carolina Tentmaker

Scarlett asked:

That is a really good question. Can’t we be sensitive to other peoples needs and still make the hard decisions? I guess it depends on your definition of sensitivity. Can you be sensitive and still make that decision that causes pain for someone else? The clearest example I can think of would be a military situation. I can be sensitive to my enemy. I can understand the reasons he opposes me on a field of combat. I can understand the politics and policies that have caused our situation. And yet I can still end his life without a moment of hesitation or remorse. I would still consider myself sensitive to his needs even though I killed him. Would you? I would be sensitive yet still maintain the moral courage to do what is right. When I talk about strength of character and moral courage I am talking about the ability to do what is right even when a majority of people disagree with you, even when it causes pain and suffering for other people or yourself. You can do this and still be sensitive. I think Kipling said it well in IF:

11. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Scarlett, I am in complete agreement with you. These are not mutually exclusive attributes. I think that one can be sensitive to the needs of others while possessing moral courage and strength of character. In fact, if one doesn't have balance of empathy and resolve, bad decisions and actions can result.