1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

The Years Have Flown By

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by rufus, Apr 4, 2007.

1. rufus

rufus New Member

The Years Have Flown By [​IMG] Apologetician I recall a lot of it like it was yesterday.

I was 16 years old. My home church licensed me to preach, and the invitations to preach starting coming in, fast and furious. In Columbia Association there were 50 or more churches and most all of them knew my family, so many of the invitations to preach came because of that. And boy did I enjoy going and preaching.

I had many invitations to pastor the first couple of years, but I turned them down, believing myself to be too young and too ignorant. Besides, I was enjoying preaching and I was attending Bible Classes at the local ABS Center every Thursday night, in addition to finishing High School and starting College.

Marriage and two children later, I pastored my first church. With what delight I recall those times. Some of the dearest saints on earth. The elderly lady who played the piano was a whiz, though her fingers were bent very badly with arthiritis. We only had Sunday morning services but we had a good time.

National Guard, College, Seminary, Doctoral Work and 39 years later, I'm still pastoring and preaching. Adventures plenty I've had in different parts of the country. High times and low times have come and gone. Near death experiences are only memories. God has been good.

The last seven years, heart surgery, cancer treatment, several other surgeries have come and gone. Medication is a daily companion. A now another surgery is coming.

I love the LORD, His Word, His church so much. And I still experience the joy of the Spirit in my spirit. But I have grown weary, cynical, sluggish. I wish I could get the first enthusaism of years ago, back into my system of living, preaching, pastoring. And the fervency of praying.

I'm so thankful for all the souls that God has touched throughout the ministry He has given me, yet I'm wondering how much longer I can g on.

Would I trade my life for something else? NOPE!

Right now, Jesus is ALL that really thrills me.