1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theological Differences in the Local Church

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Reformed, May 4, 2018.

1. Covenanter

Covenanter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A local example - The Anglican Vicar reported that he had discovered meditation to help with a personal problem, so set up a series of "Stillpoint" meetings to promote it to others.

I went to one such meeting & found it as expected - Eastern meditation intended to quieten the mind , without reference to Scripture or prayer.

I wrote to the Vicar as follows:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Ephesians 2:8-9 and in this I fervently believe.

3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that the difference between 'Essential Truths' (those which imperil the message of the gospel and are a reason to break fellowship) and 'Non-Essential/Secondary Truths' (those that do not imperil the message of the gospel and are not a reason to break fellowship over?

Your objection to 'Secondary Doctrines' seems to be purely semantic since even you recognize two classes of truths: One to break fellowship over and one to simply discuss. (Perhaps I do not correctly understand the term 'secondary doctrines'.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A common point of discussion here is -
    Is the modern state of Israel the fulfilment of OT prophecy?
    My answer is a very definite "NO!"
    Or is that a secondary doctrine we are free to disagree about?
    My answer is a very definite "NO!" It is a serious error that ignores the truth that our Lord Jesus Christ himself fulfilled OT prophecy.

PLEASE don't post lots of arguments either way, I'm simply posting a clear example of a "secondary doctrine."

Another example is -
    Should baptist churches accept into membership a faithful servant of God who has not been baptised as a believer by immersion?
    My answer is a very definite "YES!"
    Incidentally the new church we are attending will have to answer that question with respect to my wife. She considers her infant baptism was valid.
    Also the Reformers & Puritans practised paedobaptism.

5. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I state all truth is God's truth, I mean exactly that. All scripture is God-breathed. That said, when we get some of God's truth wrong we may be meddling with the Gospel and that is not a thing to be trifiled with. But that does not mean other areas of God's truth are not important. Let us throw tongues out there for the sake of discussion. While believing or not believing in tongues will not imperil one's faith, it could fracture a local assembly. I have witnessed that with my own eyes. The timing of the return of the Lord is often relegated to secondary status, but it is anything but. TCassidy and I have been debating the Universal Church. Secondary? No. Necessary for slavation? No. Enough to break fellowship over? Not for a one-on-one relationship but it could be problematic if we were both in leadership in the same local church and it was a matter of debate as to what the church believes. Also, sometimes we do not know what we do not know. What seems unimportant to us now may be clouded by our ignorance in the moment and later be revealed that is important. I can only answer for myself. I try to weigh each doctrine in the moment. Is this the time to fight for truth or not?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My example of primary and secondary doctrines would be that I can have fellowship with say an AOG pastor who believes in tongues and second act of grace and certain gifts, but when and if he moved into additional revelations, all should he healed by faith, one must speak in other tongues to be saved, name it an claim it, than that becomes a primary doctrine issue to me to divide over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All truth of the scripture is indeed true, but not all doctrines and truths have equal importance.

8. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe BASIC doctrine bnegins with the Lordship of JESUS CHRIST in all matters of faith/worship, and with one's personal relationship with Him. While there'll be differences in beliefs of eschatology, etc. there should be NO difference in belief of Jesus' supremacy and the BIBLE being the ONLY source of doctrines.

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Big problem is that it seems many acknowledge that Jesus is Lord, but that they then turn around and deny say full inspiration of Bible, even though Jesus affirmed it, deny literal Genesis, even though Jesus affirmed it, deny that he is only way to be saved, even though Jesus affirmed it!

10. Covenanter

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist