1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theological Labels, Denominations, Confessions of Faith...are all good

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Jerome,
    "
    So Jerome....what do you think he means when he says;
    beyond what the law of grace and love will admit.....what guidelines are pointed to here?

2. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is a thought I had about labels. Even Jesus Christ used labels to talk about a group of people, and I'm not just talking about the Scribes and Pharisees.
    Rev 2:6, 15

As another poster said, labels are just shorthand that save a lot of time.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that. It's important to distinguish between Bible appellations properly used and the sort of stuff promoted in the OP.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  5. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the response, it was thoughtful, as always. I am fine and I pray that the same is true for you! I know I was praying for a family member of yours and I wondered how that has worked out? Take care, and we will talk again soon!

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agreed. It saves a lot of time when trying to research (for whatever reason) a "Christian" group. Even at that you may have to dig a little.

e.g. The Church of God which is the old World Tomorrow Garner T Armstrong Church. This group appears to be on a modern proselyting campaign.

Going to their website they present a view of Christianity which they oppose and claim is apostate because of their beliefs. Turns out that after a bit of digging the apostates are us the “traditional” believers who believe the “man-made” doctrines of the Trinity (they use a small “t”) and Sunday instead of Sabbath day worship.

But just a preliminary cursory review of the website will not uncover that accusation. The language is crafted in such a way that “traditional” Christians will feel a sense of identity with them

One has to go down a few levels into their subterranean teachings to find out you are an apostate and that they ALONE are the “true church”.

This group also seems to be split into some sort of messianic church offshoots who all hold this same doctrine and is becoming prolific here in the Northwest. We lost one church attender to this movement.

Their plan seems to be to “bait and switch” from letting you know how wise you are for having discovered them (or God allowing you to discover them) to (in an attempt to “set the hook”) - you are doomed because you believe in a false deity (the Trinity) and you should immediately repent or you will be a cast out into the Lake of Fire.

So as the day grows darker – aka - the sunset of the times of the Gentiles – these critters are creeping out from under the rocks and it is necessary to be careful with our social associations lest we be hoodwinked by them or foolishly contribute to them.

HankD

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes sadly this group started out as a cult with Herbert and Garner ted Armstrong
    then when they were out of the way it look like and it changed
    ....articles written saying that this group had changed and become saved ..
    Maybe those reports are a little premature

but now as you pointed out it looks like they were unsaved people there to begin with and they were religious but still remain usaved if they coming out with all of these defective ideas

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are brilliant word smiths and quite good at the craft.
    The evil becomes obvious when a victim goes for the bait and then gets more and more entangled in their deceitful web of cunning distortions of the facts.

This is why I like your O/P. It's very important, now more than ever with this proliferation of error groups.

An eye opener is the number of ROKU streaming services available to anyone who has internet services. A never ending supply of every kind of heresy under the sun and then some claiming to be prophets, apostles, etc... hidden under an innocent facade.

2 Corinthians 11
    13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
    14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
    15 Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

HankD

• Like Like x 1