1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theophanies

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by church mouse guy, Feb 6, 2005.

1. rjprince

rjprince Active Member

A key distinction in these appearances of "all three persons of the Godhead" is whether or not the appearance was in the form of a man. I have no problem with viewing the burning bush as an appearance of the Father. I suggested the idea of a "pneumophany". I guess we could call the burning bush a "patrophany" (from πατηρ). If there is a human form, I would say it is always a Christophany. Another important distinction is does the being accept worship? Or refuse it? God will accept worship, an angel will not.

2. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

Exactly why I have no choice but to see Joshua 5 as anything other than a Christophany.

Question: Are there any instances of angels declaring something 'holy' and commanding people to respond accordingly as God did in declaring the ground holy in the "loose thy shoes from off thy feet" commands in Joshua 5:15 and at the burning bush in Exodus 3:5?

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This might be a good subject for a book. Information is scarce on the subject and the two terms seem to be used without strict meaning. To me myself, it is exciting to know that Jesus Himself appears in the Hebrew Scripture, the Old Testament!

4. IveyLeaguer

IveyLeaguer New Member

I agree. It IS exciting, CMG.