1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Theoretical Charismatics - Reformed Baptists

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Oct 25, 2014.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Wayne Grudem is a member of a cessationist church where the leadership oppose the non-cessationist view. He himself, does not speak in tongues or claim any sign gifts. He admits that the apostolic and prophetic offices has ceased (he sees them as one and the same office). However, in his Systematic Theology book and in many other interviews on this subject he defends ongoing revelatory gifts (pp. 1016-1090).

John Piper is another theoretical charismatic, as he defends ongoing revelatory gifts and signs gifts.

In contrast, John MacArthur is a cessationist.

What do you think?

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I cannot support Wayne Grudem or John Piper in leaving the door open on the error. Grudems defense is no defense at all.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I agree! His defense has huge holes in it:thumbs:

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then what would your opinion be of MARTYN LLOYD JONES......particullary his book, 'Joy Unspeakable' ?

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    the diagram...somewhere around pg 1065-67,,,where he shows a person with an arrow representing new revelation coming into his mind, then his explanation that the person puts it in his own words is a complete novelty.

I was surprised to see that and am not certain what causes this. perhaps they think that keeping the "door' open is wise, however God has shut the door for our protection:thumbs::thumbs:

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are what's called soft cessationalists.

While our church is cessationalist, there was no problem accepting into leadership those who hold that position.

I've heard enough reports of extraordinary occurrences in predominantly Muslim countries where God's witness of himself is limited that I find it hard to put God in a box and say he doesn't do something any more.

Rob

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im in agreement regarding this.:tonofbricks:

8. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I have read other books by Jones, but I have not that read "Joy Unspeakable" so I can't give any opinion on it.