1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Theory of atonement, do you have one?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by agedman, Oct 28, 2017.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not giving full and complete details of every theory of atonement, but merely doing a very brief statement of a few just to allow the reader to get an overview of some highlights and tease some to think.

Generally it is accepted that the early church basically taught that there was some price owed to God or Satan which had to be paid in order for salvation to take place.

Personally, I consider such a ransom paid is basic extortion, and counter to the revealed character and nature of God. Sometimes, this thinking is illustrated by a boy having made a boat and loosing it, finds it displayed in the pawnshop widow. He then must work to earn the price of the boat, and being successful is heard saying as he walks out of the shop, “You are twice mine.”

Along the way, others taught theories that were more along the line of Christ being the substitute, a stand in replacement for the human. One might hear an illustration were a child is going to undergo some sever punishment, but the strong one comes to take the punishment instead.

The reformation came along and after some time a theory called forensic or penal was developed. The basic idea is that sin results in both wrath of God and death. That Christ met both these demands on the cross. Typical stories emphasize the suffering and agony and the violent angry God taking it all out on the pitiful who cries in agony about being abandoned all so some lost soul can be saved.

Each theory may have some very valid thinking, however the times and political influences (IMO) caused an overreaching of each so that some must grapple with aspects of the theory that the Scriptures do not support. Recent threads on some of the problems of one theory are on the B.B.

The purpose of this thread is to reveal:

1) Is it necessary for the believer to have a working theory of atonement?
    2j If one does, what might you call your theory and the statements of fact you use to support it?
    3) Did the reader of this OP need to make modifications to an existing theory to allow the theory greater Scriptural support?

In case anyone cares, I was confronted with these issues more than once in my early days and came to realize that I basically held to a forensic theory with modifications.

This causes some, who cling to some theory as it were the holy grail of being superior and pushing it as to be above some need for adjustment, to become greatly exercised.

But that is the reason the atonement ideas are laid out as theories and not chiseled into stone tablets. They are theories and not the Law.

It is my opinion that if an atonement theory one holds is not modified to conform to Scripture then it does automatically create a bias in favor or against certain aspects of soteriology views that ultimately are weak and without Scripture foundation.

This also removes the discussion from being considered unimportant to that of profoundly intriguing. Often on the B.B. debate would be more of a discussion IF participants held similar atonement theory views.

Therefore, how would you answer the three questions?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is "owed" a sin debt to be paid off in full, and that would require either Jesus or the sinner to take that and render due payment unto Him!

3. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would you find Scriptures to share that support this?

The early church had similar thinking of a debt owed, but their cultural and social structure was different enough that it isn’t in the same manner some might express, today.

That is why I ask for Scripture..

4. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying then that there is no wrath of God that is to be directed towards sins/sinners?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just off hand (waiting on my wife at the mall), I believe the most dominant aspect of what God accomplished in salvation is a freedom from the bondage of sin and death. I will suffer the consequence of sin that is most often mentioned in Scripture - a physical death. But because I am in Christ, have partaken in His death and burial, my hope is in His resurrection. Death and sin hold no power over me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly, as Romans 1 illustrates when God withholds Himself from the thankless (gives them over), and the Scripture principle of sowing and repeating is seen in the life of every person.

Also, the wages, payment due, remuneration, of sin is death.

What greater wrath can be found then the eternity in the lake of fire?

As a result of all the principles of Scripture and the prepared place for both those whom He redeemed and another place prepared for those unbelievers, the wages, and the results of sin already exposed, a desire for some special need of God to dispense punishment is not necessary, and some might even suggest superimposed upon Scripture.

There is a neat picture of the “bowls of God’s wrath,” or more commonly written as “bowls of the wrath of God,” poured out on the earth. Great calamity follows each pouring.

Years ago, I pondered the dilemma of 1) why the bowls, and 2) what did they contain. Time and again as I worked through various evidences, it came to me that the bowls had to be empty if God places the final estate for the unbeliever as torment (double jeopardy) and if God pour out some special wrath on sinners and sin while they lived.

Then it came to me that great promise that 1) vengeance is mine, and 2) storing my tears in a bottle. What greater rebuke of vengeance can come but from the very sorrows inflicted by the world upon God’s beloved turned back on the world?

There is no Scripture proof that I know, and the silence is always intriguing, but it does make for a neatly fit package and consistency.

7. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Part of the misunderstanding of the wrath of God abides in the concept of the terms.

When God withholds His hand of approval or protection, from the human perspective, great calamity emerges.

This is seen throughout both Scripture and History.

All God has done is withhold Himself from interfering. Such was witnessed on the cross as Christ ask , “My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?” Christ was not abandoned by the Father, He wasn’t renounced, He experienced what no believer can, for did not the Lord say, “I will never leave you, never forsake you.” The Father withheld His protection and authority from the Son.

How does this relate to the OP?

Each theory must address the central issue of the character of both the Son and the Father at the crucifixion.

Those theories that in some manner have the Father renouncing and abandoning the Son, must demonstrate how God can have such a split personality, and how God can die.

Those theories that present the Father as vengeful toward the Son, must show how God can beat up Himself, destroy Himself.

Those theories in which call for separation of the hypostatic union must find a Scripture of support.

What is your theory?

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Those theories must also account for Scripture itself being false at least for the event if the Cross concerning God's demeanor towards the righteous and His Holy One.

9. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ageman... The theory I have on atonement is simple... Jesus Christ (the sinless one)... Stood in my room and stead(the sinful one). In the words of Apostle Paul from Timothy:

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

It couldn't be any plainer... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Theory of atonement, do you have one?

Hmm, you modify your rules in midstream from the O/P.

I don't have a theory but a Law, a fact.

1 Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

The cost:
    Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

The vicarious suffering in our place
    Isaiah 53
    4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
    5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

The purchased
    1 Corinthians 7:23 Ye are bought with a price (His blood); be not ye the servants of men.

Yes He purchased even the wicked, those who deny Him:

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

HankD

#10 HankD, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are wonderful statements from Scripture!

12. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, not in any refined way. What is essential for one to know is that they have life in the name (person) of Christ, by entering into discipleship with Him.

The "recapitulation" theory is closest to my view. However, there are a lot of people who claim (like this slick guy) that the view teaches that Jesus sinned. That view is especially foul-smelling theological manure.

I do not draw all of the conclusions that the critics of the theory claim. Some assert that the theory does not speak enough of the death of Christ (not really true). Others assert that Jesus had to experience EVERY part of human life including old age, marriage, parenthood etc. That's just silly.

1 Corinthians 15:21-23
    Romans 5:15-19
    Philippians 3:20-21

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But if the sin debt is not paid for, and the wrath of God averted, how can there be any freedom from sin? And is not the full freedom itself awaiting our glorification?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who was not seen nor .treated as being such while taking the wrath of God as our Sin bearer!

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly. God was not wrathful towards Christ, but as Scripture pictures - the Father offered His Son as a guilt offering. This is an offering - an act of love, not wrath. God loved the world by sending His one and only Son - He withheld deliverance and witnessed His "Righteous One" suffer in obedience to His will - experienced the self-giving agony of a Father sending His Son to lay down His life for us. And the Son was obedient through suffering and death to the Father. And He lay down His life for His fellow men.

This is what Scripture presents, not God looking at His Son as a sinner and pouring His wrath upon His "Holy One", but God's own love.

16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your view of this "sin debt" is not biblical. You are working off a false premise.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the scriptures are very clear that there is a wrath that God has directed towards all sin and sinners, and that Jesus had to drink from that Cup of wrath stored up towards sinners!

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was there a sin debt owed to God?

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I have a theory of the Atonement? Yes. Yes, I do.

"Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures." 1 Corinthians 15:93-4. :)

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, Christ drank the cup, bore our sins, and this by the will of God. Scripture never presents God as pouring out His wrath on Christ, but instead offering and vindicating Him.

The problem is you are very consistent in saying Scripture says something, but you shut up like a clam when asked to provide a passage.