1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Therapeutic Massage

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Dec 22, 2010.

?
  1. I have had a massage, enjoyed it, and look forward to another.

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. I have had a message, hated it, never again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I would never have a massage by someone other than my spouse.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. I have never had a massage, but would like too.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I am way too inhibited to let someone give me a massage, but don't reject the idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I see no point in “ever” getting a massage.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. Those who engage in massage need to repent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My physical therapy training next semester requires that I learn to practice soft tissue manipulations and this goes with being on the receiving end of this as well. I have never had a massage (yes, chicken!) and find myself, once again, feeling a lot of anxiety about being out of my comfort zone. Personally, the thought of “me” being draped with a little cloth and acting as the patient is much more intimidating than the thought of being the practitioner. The saying: “What’s good for the goose is good for the gander” always did have a way of getting under my skin.

2. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

Massages are awesome. The experience can be a little intimidating at first, what with all the clothes off and everything, but that's what these people do all day long. I've never had anyone who wasn't entirely considerate and professional.

Just take a deep breath and relax. You might get addicted.

3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There was a woman at our church who was a massage therapist and I went to her a few times and OH MY GOODNESS. I told hubby if he ever wants to sell everything and move onto the boat, he has to get me a massage before he presents me with that news because once I get one, I don't care WHAT'S going on - I'm just so happy and relaxed!!! LOL It's seriously one of the best things I've ever done short of being saved, marrying my hubby and having my kids. Seriously.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I bought my wife one for her birthday. She enjoyed it, but I guess the girl was a little rough. She was a little sore the next day.

I hear deep tissue massages are good for the soft tissue, but painful.

5. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

OMG! I had a full body massage once and loved it. I have had upper body on several occasions and loved it.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, therapeutic massage is a bit rougher than the spa types. This is something else to think about, not that I’m scared of a little pain mind you, but that it seems I could be perceived as being just a wee bit competitive :saint: at times in things such as MMT (Manual Muscle Testing) and have done a little bit of trash talki…errr…motivational speaking at times which seems to have “possibly” instigated some rivalry. :saint: One day the instructor interrupted the “activities” and told the class that we would be able to inflict more pain on each other during therapeutic massage sessions coming up and would have a chance to get some revenge…and then smiles while looking MY :confused: way!

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It seems like, in general, the women are much more enthusiastic about this than the men. Just about every woman I know seems to have had a massage compared to just a few men. My lab partner just simply laughs at my head shaking, eyes bugging insecurities as I look at the curriculum and she expresses the same type of sentiments about how great it is. You’d think it would be the other way around but nooo, you women can be ferociously secure in these matters.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

I'm a dude, dude.

9. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, I know, but was saying “in general” because it seems more common that what I usually hear of is about women getting a message. Its cool if you like massages; the practice has been around forever and I think it can be very good for people. I imagine if I ever learn to relax it might be good for me too; especially since I workout a lot and don’t do nearly enough stretching. I just think this is one of those cases of cultural influences causing inhibitions and do hope that eventually this "intimidation" you speak of should be overcome through experience and professionalism. And I could be wrong but it seems as women have an easier time on this. The instructor has also commented on men having a harder time with the hands on experiences.

Our program started with 26 people, most all ready in the field and of high caliber, who did all the prerequisites and waited two years to get into this program and yet it looks like we are down to 16 after the first semester. Our grading scale is 84% for a B and 93% for an A, and it takes a minimum of a B on all exams and lab practicals to stay in the program. It has been like a boot camp, therefore I’m trying to adjust my thoughts and wrap my mind around the upcoming curriculum during this much needed winter break.

#9 Benjamin, Dec 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2010