1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There Are Cliques on the BB

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Feb 9, 2008.

?
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Not sure

7 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. Yes, and their attacks have personally hurt my feelings

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. No, because all is fair when it comes to forum style debates

5 vote(s)
    13.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Aw, I always say, "bring em on"............:) As long as you can stand the response.

BBob,

2. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am sure I am one of the people you keep referring to since most of what you have posted in the debate forum, I have disagreed with.

You wanted to asked a question about Obama and "if" he were a sleeper cell. Then when that didn't go well, you started another thread abou this name and how he should change his name.

You have had double standards as to whether he should change his name, or whether he shouldn't. You have said two different things at different times.

You have questioned his salvation and whether you think he is a Christian or not, even though he has stated he is.

You didn't answer simple questions that were asked to help you open your mind in the thread about him changing his name. The question aske of you was what was your name before you found Christ. The answer is you didn't change you name. In not answering that, it shows that your questioning Obama and his name amounts to nothing.

You yourself have sided with the people that sided with you in your threads, and have responded back to them and yet you ignore the rest of the people.

I am sorry if you feel you're being singled out, but your posts, threads and attitutes might have a lot of do with how you're treated or responded to.

I have been on this board for a few years and there are a few people that I have had it out with over different subjects. StandingFirmInChrist and I disagree on a lot of topics, but if I saw he in person I would extend my hand and give him a nice welcome. Just because we don't see eye to eye doesn't change that we are Brother's in Christ. Carpro is another one. We have disgreed a ton of times when talking politics. We both try to hold each other to the truth in those discussions, but still I wouldn't have a problem inviting him into my home for dinner.

You must realize that in a debate forum, things will get hot and heavy sometimes, but that doesn't change who we are and I would venture to say that anyone on this board would be at another one's side in a heart beat if needed. Just go to the Prayer forum and look at how people that disagree all the time will pray for one another when needed.

Don't take things so personlible. Try to understand there are always two sides of a debate. You are not always right or wrong. People will disagree with you. If you ask a question, expect an answer. Respond back in a nice manner and you will probably get the same back.

Just my two cents worth... Look what you made me do.. I gave my two cents worth away, now I have to work this next week to make it back! :)

Jamie

3. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Ok, cliques are not good.

4. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Not to cause an argument, but you're doing and have done exactly what he is claiming others have done.

Your posts, when it come to him, always seen to be a pipe in and defend him type of comment. You post quick retorts and don't always step up and answer the questions being asked.

You're doing that exact "gang" mentality that you claiming other of doing. How is it different?

BTW, have you ever been on this board under a different name? Your post have a strikingly resemblance to another person that posted on this board a lot and than for no reason, vanished. Just curious.

Jamie

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I personally think some of RD's threads were turned into what some wanted them to say, instead of what they actually did say. The heat started later on in most threads from posts from others and not RD. No one had to jump in his thread, but chose to.

Some thread I will not go in to, knowing that when I give my post, that it will differ and most likely lead to a heated discussion.

Some times I do venture in and all of a sudden, in over my head and have to type like the dickens to try and keep up, but I don't fall out with anyone over it. I just disagree with them and try my best to defend my position with scripture. I get called a liar, hypocrit just to name a few names, but still, I don't hold a grudge against anyone on this board.

I also will continue on this way, unless I am kicked off the board, of which I hope not, but if I am I will live on.

BBob,

#65 Brother Bob, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2008
  6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

I am sorry to disagree with you. The threads may seem like just another topic, but with him questioning Obama's name, whether he's a Christian or not, and then some would even question his supposely "connection to Islam". I think these types of questions are ones that would stir the pot whether the poster wanted to or not.

You are right, but usually when people see people spreading false information, surely you can expect someone to come in and correct them.

The same thing can be said about starting a topic. Some topics shouldn't be started if the user can't stand up against the other people that may or may not disagree with them. Some things are better not said at all just as some questions are not worth asking.

That's exactly what I have been saying about RD and his topics. He needs to understand people will disagree with him. He is not always right. he is not always wrong. If you ask a question, be ready to listen to other opinions.

Jamie

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

You response is resonable, but just one thing. RD is not the first in the world of politics and among the American people, who have brought up this question. I heard it before RD ever posted it. Just google it and see how many different threads and hits on the subject, tells us that it has been around a while. I pray everything is on the up and up, but there is always the chance it is not. I guess I am a skeptic, but I do want to know the truth about the matter and still looking.

I went back and read the threads or at least until they become heated and it seem that all the threads started of pretty civil and became heated as they went along. Some, like myself questioned if Obama was "real", and others took offense to anyone even questioning if Obama was "real". It is not just BB that wonders about the credentials of Obama and Hillary. When you run for President, "look out", it is part of the game.

BBob,

#67 Brother Bob, Feb 10, 2008
  8. The Scribe

The Scribe New Member

I'm only defending him because he's correct there are cliques and they are wrong.
    James 2:1-9 (KJV)

Also he said that "Most of the cliquish attacks involve name calling, and that is usually the button that gets the "goat" of the author and gets them fighting back." Which is wrong.

No, I never have used any other username.

I agree with Brother Bob. People twist righteousdude2's threads into what they want them to say.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

Good point Brother Bob. I agree.

If a BBer is disabled, widowed, a senior citizen, homebound due to medical issues, etc... or any of these combinations, it would be nice to give them a second chance if they are banned, and later apologize. Could be their only source of socialization. Others forget about it quicker. Yet it's not my message board.
    In church, we are to forgive people 70 x 7 (or something like that).

About baiting, 90% of the time it is one of the "usual baiter posters" doing the accusing. I don't bother to check if what's said is true. Just get tired of reading the drama so I move on. They have a routine. They scream foul as a plight to call their other buddies to gang up on whoever they dislike at that moment. Then post BB rules, trying to incite a Mod/Admin to get involved. Most know better but sometimes, they get lucky. They hardly ever include scripture in their posts, avoid any kind theological debates, play in the "other" forums. You often see them shooting off their opinions over how others "didn't do this or that" with regards to some news story.

I have not had personal problems with any of them, they don't bother me. I know who they are. Most here probably know them well. Sometimes it's best to let posters believe what they want, less effort. It's all good.

#69 Joe, Feb 10, 2008
  10. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cliques (divisions) are not new to Christianity:

1Corinthians 1
    10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.
    12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?​

In the 21st century we could substitute different names for "Paul" "Apollos", "Cephas".​

Nothing has changed and in all probability it won't until He returns and sets things straight.​

Here is an remarkable Scripture:
    1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.​
    It would appear that some of us will be ashamed before Him at His coming.

In the context of this chapter this is what IMO is the key passage:​

1 John 2:10 He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.​

There is another aspect of this business of "cliques". Dr Bob spoke to this:​

Think about the different kinds of Baptists there are.
    Some time ago someone posted the list.
    If I remember correctly it numbered upwards to 100 different groups yet all were Baptist and all adhering to the Baptists Distinctives.​

The nature of the Distinctives invites what might be thought of as "divisions" or even "cliques".​

I don't know that those terms fit when it comes to the different groups and points of view under the Baptist umberella.​

Where and when these terms do fit scripturally IMO, is when the different points of view result in what was happening at the Church in Corinth which Paul addresses ( I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas).​

Another Scripture test :
    2 Corinthians 10:12 For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.​

We/I need to remember what the purchase price of the Church is:​

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.​

And this commandment:​

John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
    35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.​

I believe that if we keep these two Scriptures in mind we would do well and avoid "cliquery" where ever and whenever it exists among the brethren.​

HankD​

#70 HankD, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  11. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm pretty sure that the first step beyond warning is usually a temporary ban/suspension.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Folks, if someone has an issue with a poster, why not go directly to that poster?

Some posts on this thread are "in code," but it seems to me that a few folks have particular posters in mind that they have problems with. Why not clear things up with them personally?

Or not...:saint: :smilewinkgrin:

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I seem to agree with that.

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

The established protocol is 1.) Public Warning, by a Moderator's Note, when we have to edit a post that is found in violation of the BB Posting Rules and/or User Agreement. 2.) Continued rule violations will result in a 10-day suspension and the poster must request to have his/her BB membership restored at the end of those 10-days. 3.) Upon restoration of BB membership, further repeat rule violations will result in the poster being banned from the BB.

This is the process we generally try to enforce. However, sometimes when we are dealing with a clear case of a Troll we can jump directly to banning.:tonofbricks:

I hope this helps.

Bible-boy,
    Forum Moderator

#74 Bible-boy, Feb 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2008
  15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Be sure to see the Moderator's Note I added to the OP (quoted above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.