1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There are two Israels...

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J.D., Nov 28, 2008.

1. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Allan,

Then, please define what "Church" means?

In Christ
    Rev. 22:20 -Amen!

2. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

"Church" is ..."Any assemble of God's people".

Christians= "Christ like". (conform to his image)

There are no "divisions" of Nationality in the "body of Christ",

the "CHURCH".

Jew/Greek or Gentile.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

The church is the total number of Spirit-Baptized believers from Pentecost to the Rapture. In the gospels the church is still future, so that proves that there was no church in the OT. A church is not just an assembly of God's people.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That's probably the best definition for church I have seen.

5. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Larry,

I strong DISAGREE.

Church is make up pf ALL members from beginning to end, from Adam to the very last person at Christ's coming.

I disagree. That is your opinion.

Of course I am aware that you would use Matt. 16:18 to support, "I WILL built my church" speaks of Church will begin on Pentacost Day.

My understanding of Matt. 16:18 means that Christ told disciples that he is going to built his people when He will give power(keys)to disciples to witness gospel to the world.

The Bible doesn't rule out that Adam, Abraham, Moses, David, etc. are not part of the Church.

Because Christ already made reconcile all Jews and Gentiles unity together became one by Calvary (Ephesians chapter 2), clearly that means it includes all O.T. saints join with the together.

Romans 11:25-26 teaching us clearly that Olive Tree was ALREADY right there in O.T. period. That tree is picture as Church-Jesus Christ. Also, tree is picture of Cross too. Jews were already in Olive Tree long time before Gentiles.

Jews were already commonwealth of Israel in O.T. whilst Gentiles were separated and strangers. In other word, Jews were already belong to Christ's church in O.T.

NOW, Gentiles are grafted in tree join with believing Jews, therefore, Gentiles are now part of commonwealth of Israel. Israel is same as Church. Church never replace Israel. Israel is just now expanding, same as Church is expanding.

Also, I BELIEVE that, before Christ comes to earth, O.T. saints already heard the word 'Church' in their own language Hebrew or Greek, it easily mean congregation. So, therefore, Church was already right there in O.T. but church was limited within physical nation -Israel, because the gospel was not yet spreading out over world to Gentiles till Christ brought his keys(power) to Disciples. Now, church is no more limited, it is expanding over the world because of gospel.

Church is make up of ALL saints from Adam to the very last person at Christ's coming, by through their FAITH on Jesus Christ only, no other else.

Look at example of Revelation chapter 21 of New Jerusalem is the perfect picture of the Church/Israel, what the Bible is all talking about salvation.

In Christ

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Show this in the Bible. Never is anyone in the OT said to be in the church.

First, the church is the body of Christ. That can't exist until Christ has died and risen again.
    Second, the church is formed by Spirit baptism (1 Cor 12:13). In the gospels that was still future (Matt 3:11; Mar 1:8; Luk 3:16). Therefore, the church can't exist until Spirit baptism which was not until Acts 2.

Wouldn't be my first argument, but it is a good one.

Yes.

Yes it does. You have not one place in the Scriptures that put these people in the church. Paul says the church was a mystery.

Not at all. Not only is that not "clear." It is not even realistic. Paul was talking about unity in the body between Jew and Gentile. He was saying nothing about the OT saints.

But again, notice that you have no Scripture that says this. Not one place does the Scripture describe anyone prior to Pentecost as being in the church. That is significant. This is a place where you have to abandon your presuppositions and look at the text.

7. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

M4Him, long time no see. I think I used to call you the BB resident heretick. I'm a nicer guy now, but not by much. After you disappeared from the scene, Skypair came along to take your place. It's some coincidence isn't it that now he's been banned and here you are again. But welcome back and I mean that (for now).

Are you saying that the ten tribes of the Israel and the two tribes of Judah are the "twain" that become "one man" in Eph 3?

8. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Could you support that from a Bible in original languages?

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyway, to steer back toward the OP, has anyone disproven my assertion that there undeniably is two Israel's in scripture:

#1: "after the flesh"
    #2: "not after the flesh"

(if you missed the reference, see 1 Cor 10:18)

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

You bet.

Now, before you go wrenching this out of context you must first remember that this is a passage that is dealing with the Church.

Secondly, that it is speaking of the body whom the Spirit has both baptized and is indwelling.

Thirdly, this passage is part of context refering to spiritual gifts which are and have only been given to those of the Church (Spirit baptized and indwelt believers). The Spirit distributes His gifts to believers as He chooses.

Spirit baptism is defined in 1 Corinthians 12:13 as that work of God whereby believers are baptized (immersed, placed) into Christ’s body, the church.

How then does a believer become a member of the body of Christ? It is by the Spirit's baptism. If we can determine when Spirit baptism first began, then we will know when the church began. When did God first baptize believers into His body? When were believers first placed into the body of Christ? To answer this is to determine the day on which the church began.

Another thing to consider is the Acts passages 1:5 and 11:15-16:
    According to our Christ's prediction the Spirit baptism had not taken place yet though it would soon take place. No one yet had been immersed into the body of Christ. Thus, the church could not have begun prior to Acts 1:5. When Jesus spoke the words of Acts 1:5 His death and His resurrection had already taken place but the Spirit baptism had not taken place as of yet, and so the church had not yet been formed. However the announcement of Acts1:5 is very significant because Jesus said that Spirit baptism would take place "not many days hence". And we know that this event happened just 10 days later on the day of Pentecost.

Pentecost and the unique events that took place on that day are described in Acts chapter 2. Though in this chapter Spirit baptism is not specifically mentioned. It is not until Acts 11 that we are specifically told that Spirit baptism took place on the day of Pentecost:
    Based on the clear statement of this passage we know that Spirit baptism first took place on the the Day of Pentecost. It was then that believers were first placed into the body of Christ. Without question it was then we find the church beginning and not in the OT.

Add to that This statement by CHrist also:
    And just to make sure you know I anskwered you question about if the original language show such. Look them up the passages I gave for yourself. The church is distinct from Israel. We are not Israel nor are we spiritual Israel - We are the Church both the body and bride of Christ Jesus.

However, just for fun, one could take this to show an illistration that just as there are many members which make up the same body, so to is Israel and the Church different members of the same body. The members aspect of the illistration does not mean they are two seperate unrelated bodies but to different members of the same body with different purposes or functions to fulfill. We are all of the body of faith which is Christ Jesus but we have different functions and purposes. We are distinct from each other not as entities of different bodies but in relation to means and function. (much like the hand, foot, eye). But that is just having some fun with scripture and I am not stating that is the context of this passage.

#70 Allan, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  11. Allan

Allan Active Member

Yes, it has been disproven. Next question :thumbs:

12. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Thanks for the Welcome, being banned is common in this falling away season, especially if the Mod is a know it all or doesn't have any spiritual discernment, just kick the dust off and go on down the road.

The House of Judah was invited to the "lambs marriage supper", but Judah refused. (Jews) (Matt 22)

The House of Joseph/Ephraim accepted the invitation. (Gentile Church)

The house of Joseph/Ephraim are raptured to the lamb's marraige supper,

The house of Judah (Jews) enter/suffer the trib as chastisment for refusing.

The "CANA" marriage is the "Two sticks/Houses" becoming one, during the MK.

You ask if there was a Spiritual/literal Israel, the answer is "YES",

Circumcision in the heart makes one a Jew, that's the "Spiritual Israel" that consist of the "gentile Church.

But God made a promise to "Abraham" that "HIS SEED", Natural descendants, would as the "stars of heaven",

And even if they are "enemies of the gospel" they are still chosen "FOR THE FATHER'S SAKE" of keeping his promise.

Ro 11:28 As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes.

That's not to say they don't have to be "born again", they do, but that is what the tribulation period is all about.

Judah (Jews) would be the "literal Israel" while Joseph/Ephraim (church) would represent the "Spiritual Israel", because we can "SEE" the Kingdom of God,

Judah is still looking for the "literal" Kingdom, and it's coming "VERY SOON".

13. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Me4Him,

That's your own theory.

"The Lost Tribes" is a completely theory. I do not agree with it. This is men making teaching in their own theory.

Nowhere in the New Testament mention 'lost tribes.'

Some use Jeremiah chapter 31 about "House of Judah" & "House of Israel" that they saying the 'new covenant' for both tribes are not yet fulfilled. They say it will be fulfill at Second Coming for Millennial Kingdom.

But, Jeremiah chapter 31 of 'new covenant' already fulfilled by through Calvary by through the blood of Christ, that he already made new covenant with Israel. I suggest that everyone should read and study book of Hebrews, it mentioned lot about covenant, blood, and sacrifice. Book of Hebrews teaching us that the blood of Christ already set new covenant. Now we are no longer under the old coveant.

Dispensationalists still believe that 'Church' and 'Israel' are still distinction in God's program of present time.

For example, this present gospel age is FOR Church only while God holds 'Israel' leaves on the shelf wait till Rapture occurs, when the Church gones, then, God takes 'Israel' off the shelf and to focus on Israel(physical Jewish nation) again for seven year of Tribulation Period. Also, when Christ comes again, They saying that God will re-etablish Israel as Jewish nation again and to set modern Jerusalem to be world's capitol during Millennial Kingdom. In their teasching that God have a very "special" plan for Jews during Millennial kingdom.

Dispensationalism doctrine is no make sense, and it is men-making doctrine.

God only have one family of all nations whosoever believing in Christ, they are now belong to God's children. God don't care what race, religion, nation, a person is. God interests in person who put faith and trust IN Jesus Christ only-salvation.

In Hebrews 11:9-10 telling us, Abraham's faith that he was looking for heavenly city which God is the maker that built the city. Clearly speak of New Jerusalem.

Bible doesn't saying that Abraham was looking for future earthly city -modern Jerusalem for coming Millennial Kingdom.

Because this present modern Jerusalem is filled of sins and that city will be destroy at Christ's coming. We do not need that old earthly Jerusalem. We are eager look for New Jerusalem will be descend out of heaven, put it on new earth, and we shall dwell in it for eternality follow at Christ's coming in Revelation chapter 21.

Right now, we are spiritual Israel, because we as Gentiles are already graft in Olive Tree join with believing Jews that why we are part of Israel -Romans 11:26. God only have one family, and also, He only have ONE WIFE, not two wives.

In Christ

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Yes, I already did, and Allan repeated it.

15. DeafPosttrib

DeafPosttrib New Member

Larry,

J.D. asked you, to find the support or proof from the BIBLE in original language according as what you mentioned on 'Church' definition that you saying the 'Church; was not yet exist in the O.T. period, and it was born during Pentacost Day till Rapture. So, you seem not yet use verse to prove your comment on Church. Your comment is obivious theory as opinion to me. I am not interest in your theory or opinion, I am interest truth with verses that you have to prove it about the Church.

In Christ

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I gave it to you. I don't know how much original language you want or can understand (since I don't know what your level of knowledge of Greek is). If you would like me to say it all in Greek and Hebrew, I can do that, but that will take some time to translate my thoughts. I gave verses and showed the argumentation already. There is nothing hidden in the original languages. The versions all agree on this.

Take some time and review it and then get back to me.

17. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I know it was denied, but I didn't see it disproven. Can you direct me to that post - I must have missed it?

18. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

DeafPostTrib may speak Greek but not me. My point is that if we take the original words and translate them as "assembly" instead of "church", as some have suggested, then what do we get? We get an "assembly" in the OT and an "assembly" in the NT. No problem. But the assembly in the wilderness (KJV "church", Acts 7?) was not a pagan assembly - it was the assembling of God's Covenant people, was it not? So it was a "church" in that sense, hence the KJV translator's use of that word has been defended by many.

And if Jesus says that he will build his "assembly", then how does that exclude the possibility that an "assembly" already exists? The assembly of Christ is distinguished from the OT assembly in the sense that it is expanded to include believing gentiles.

When a dispy says that there is a distinction between Israel and the Church, I actually agree. But what is the nature of that distinction, and in what way do we find continuity between the covenants? It's the failure of disp'sm to recognize the continuity and similarity of the OT assembly and the NT assembly that is the error.

There is only one olive tree, one vine, one new man, one people of God, throughout all ages, world without end. This body is a continuous work of God from Adam to Noah, to Abraham, to the Apostles, to Cornelius, to the Getiles, to the end. But unbelievers, Jew and Gentile alike, are distinguished from the one body. Therefore, the unbelieving Jew is distinct, that is, separate from the people of God, and does not inherit the covenant blessings.

Only believing Israel receives the Kingdom, as compare to unbelieving Israel, which does not receive the Kingdom, and believing Israel includes those Jews indeed who are the sons of faithful Abraham but not of genetic descent - in other words, gentile believers.

So, you see, there are two Israels, and the Kingdom, which was "lost" (removed actually) after the exile (some say after Solomon), is to be (if not already) restored to that Israel who abides in Christ.

#78 J.D., Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

so basically you are agreeing with me that there are two Israels? "Literal" and "Spiritual"?

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

But simply comparing words won't work. What is behind the particular use of a word? that is what is important. The NT defines the church (ekklesia) as the body of Christ and the way into the body is Spirit baptism (1 Cor 12:13). There was no such Spirit baptism in the OT, and therefore, whatever the "ekklesia" was, it wasn't the church.

It doesn't. There were many assemblies in the OT. But the fact that there are two assemblies doesn't mean that they are the same assembly.

But it is distinguished in more ways. First, the OT assembly did include believing Gentiles (such as Rahab). But then you the issues of the body of Christ, the mystery, Spirit baptism, etc, all of which distinguish the NT church from OT Israel.

It think it's the opposite. It is the failure of covenantalists to recognize discontinuity.

I agree with all of this.

Those are not two Israels. They are the same Israel. For all your talk of continuity, you are creating a discontinuity. The OT/NT treats Israel whether from the Exodus or the Exile or the restored kingdom as one entity. And that is the point of dispensationalism.