1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured There Is No ‘Third Way’

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Revmitchell, Jun 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisnumbersdisconnected

That is an utterly foolish statement, one that pretends to biblical understanding that does not exist in it's author.
    Both you and Icon continue to hammer away at that one passage without considering the host of passages I've given you that "contradict" that one.

Of course the Bible doesn't contradict itself, but neither of you want to examine why there is no contradiction in what they teach. Instead, both of you want to wave your magic hands at them and make them disappear. At least Icon has more imagination than you, claiming those passages are "red herrings." He refuses to see that they are the "rest of the story" God tells us about sin, redemption, and sanctification.

Fortunately, it doesn't work like that, though it appears you both do an excellent job of pretending they don't exist.

I'll leave you to it. If you don't want to know the whole truth, then you don't have to answer to me.

Hint: God is far more complex than the legalistic mind wants Him to be. Unfortunately, much of that desire for simplicity is based in faux-righteousness created in the imagination of the individual.

#41 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2014
  2. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I simply believe what is written. You are adding to it as there are no passages that contradict the ones I gave.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

And this post proves you don't read anything. One, I used quotation marks around "contradict" before going on to explain exactly that. No, the Bible never contradicts itself.

It is obvious you haven't read any of the other posts on this thread, probably because they threaten your closely-held legalism. At least Icon is intellectually honest, even if he does argue around the point.

4. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for your input. I stand on what I stated.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...not stating that the real Christian cannot still commit sin, or that the Christian might even get into bad sinning, but that they do NOT have a continual/habitual lifestyle, that they will repent and be repentant and forsaking of this sinning eventually...

They will be convicted and tturn back to the Lord, to seek His grace and forgiveness, and NOT excuse it as just ;the way God made me"...

To the OP,,,

IF a church or ministry calls that which God has said is sin to be now alright, they need to repent of that and agree with the Lord, or be kicked out!

6. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think the KEY issue here is to define what habitual sinning means from the perspective of the texts, and do NOT see God saying here that a saved person cannot still sin, or even that they cannot sin for a season, but that will be against their new natures, and that they will forsake/repent of it, and come back to the Lord for cleansing eventually!

Its the mindset of the person, for if they can keep on sinning without ANY conviction or view that it is wrong and sinful, those are the ones beleiev passage applying towards!

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Awesome!!!!!

8. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe there was a better way to have said that.

9. thisnumbersdisconnected

There was. I get frustrated with this stuff sometimes. Thanks, Rev.

Judith, please forgive me. That was uncalled for. God bless.

10. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Judith you are understanding the verses correctly. Some churches have an antinomian outlook based on wrong dispensational ideas.
    In this case...Dconn and QF completely lack understanding on Romans 6.
    Not even close to truth on the passage. Dconn posts as if deceived as 1 cor 6 warns about.

His accusation is that of an antinomian. QF in a similar kind of church finds this...."awesome"....

The tragic thing is that actual salvation and sanctification are by passed:thumbsup: That is why the knee jerk reaction is to identify the biblical Christian as a narrow minded legalist.

11. thisnumbersdisconnected

Fortunately, your pronouncement is of no effect on my actual understanding of Scripture. You may continue to hold that opinion, but it is just an opinion, and like body parts, everyone has them.
    Oh, Icon, you do amuse me!

The opposite of legalism isn't lawlessness (antinomianism, as you prefer it), which is nothing more than anarchic pride. Only legalists would identify other Christians as "antinominan" given that a true antinomian would actually be unsaved, lost, unacquainted with and lacking knowledge of Christ. Nobody who is a true believer can be so described, and despite your frequent pronouncements to the contrary, you neither know who is saved, nor do your opinions that some here aren't carry any weight whatsoever outside of your own den (or wherever your computer is kept).

Legalism is primarily a God-ward thing. It's a way of making and keeping one's self acceptable to God. From this flows the legalism that is directed towards one another. It is a way of scoring sanctity points in our fellowships, and exerting what one postmodernist called a "truth regime" -- it's about pride, power and control. It simultaneously glorifies man and "unsecures" man. Thus its true opposites are grace and faith.

It often arises out of a good motive, wanting to be holy. We don't want sin to rule over us, we don't want to grieve God or to stray from His path. And it is a narrow path compared to the one that leads to destruction. So in order to avoid big sins we add rules to God's word -- or we insist that one self-righteous opinion about a single passage in God's word trumps all the qualifiers that explain it in context. We put on blinders. We ignore the truth of passages that bear out the fact that our opinion fails to consider anything outside of our narrowly focused belief that, if found incorrect, will destroy our credibility with ourselves and with our fellowshiping church.

It is sad. But is is curable. His name is Christ.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    thisnumbersdisconnected

As if your "pronouncements" should be enshrined:laugh:

You have said...or pronounced...lol
    There are so many more...but when you state what you believe...it is somehow...not a "pronouncement"..okay...if you say so...lol

Actually Dconn...it is not opinion at all. I understand what romans 6 actually teaches as it is objective truth. There is no opinion on it whatsoever.
    What you offered was a complete misunderstanding of the passage which is quite obvious to anyone who knows the passage at all.
    your faulty explanation is not describing biblical salvation whatsoever.

Your kind of church holds to antinomian ideas.....many legalistic fundamental churches go from a human legalistic standard, to an antinomian position.
    sorry...you just do not know what you are talking about Dconn. There is no other way to say it and be accurate.

again ...baseless and mistaken
    can you show where I said I know who is saved...Dconn??? I might have missed that....could you show it to me?

Again Dconn...show what you claim.....I am not interested in what you speculate about.....just show it in actual posts:thumbsup:

The fact that you do not have understanding of 1 cor6...as you have posted and offered correction by Judith which you explain way unsuccessfully does not translate into any narrow focus, or contradictions

Your last pronouncement about being curable does not even need a reply as the error has appeared from your keyboard.

13. quantumfaith

OK Icon, I am trying to collect all the labels that I can.

Non-Cal....check
    arminian....check
    synergist.....check
    antinomian.....check
    pelagian.....check
    semi-pelagian....check

I am sure I have missed several so be sure to remind me of any other labels which describe how I do not meet the metric of YOUR standards.

14. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You forget heathen. :laugh:

15. quantumfaith

Check.....but I am going to go research that definition......just to be sure I can live up (or down) to it. :)

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The above can never be applied to you...or could it?:wavey:

17. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Sure thing QF. You left off how you enjoy open theism writers and those who write on npp....fv.

Tell me Qf......which of the people on your fine list speak well of all things Reformed?

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good one RM. The heathen share most all of the same theological ideas and are eager to oppose biblical ideas also.

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

You wanted an example of when you've questioned anyone's salvation?
    Right there. And simply because we do not buy your standing on 1 Corinthians 6:9 as "absolute proof" that the Christian cannot persistently sin?

That's shameful, Icon, truly shameful. Don't pretend you weren't talking about two members in particular.

#59 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2014
  20. quantumfaith

Most, if not all, of what I read, although disagreeing, speak respectfully and especially avoid arrogant postures toward those of the reformed persuasion. Perhaps you could learn something from that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.