1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There Is No Hypocrite...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by gekko, Sep 25, 2006.

1. gekko

gekko New Member

Hey all.

who agrees/disagree's with the following:

"There is no hypocrite in the church."

knowing that the church is not the building but the people - and remembering what makes up the church -- genuine christians.

so the question also is: can a genuine christian be a hypocrite?

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course there are hypocrites in the church. Churches are full of them.

A hypocrite is just someone who says one thing and does another. We've all done that.....many times.

The apostle Paul said that. In Romans 7(?), he said that he wants to do good things and sometimes he doesn't and that he wants to stay away from the bad things and sometimes he does them anyway.

I don't think you can be a genuine christian without being an occasional hypocrite. A genuine christian is a saved soul that lives in a fleshly body. Sometimes the flesh still prevails in our lives.

Let's take myself. I know and believe with all of my heart that stirring discord among fellow believers is a sin. I can't stand it when others do that.

Yesterday......I did it. I said something negative about someone in our church to my folks and it escalated into a 5-minute tirade. It made my mother not like this person and she doesn't really know her. When my mother agreed with me and made a negative comment herself, I realized I had opened my mouth in sin.

I felt really bad. I repented of it and ask God to forgive me and help me to love this person the way that He does.

But it doesn't negate the fact that I, as someone who despises spreading discord, was "shoveling it out" yesterday. :tear:

That's a hypocrite.

I'm one....you're one....everybody on the BB is one.....and the church is bursting at her seams with them.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

say it ain't so!!!

4. gekko

gekko New Member

if its possible for a professin genuine christian to be a hypocrite - they wouldn't be genuine would they...

then you must question if that christian is spiritually hypocritical

#4 gekko, Sep 25, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2006
  5. Chemnitz

Chemnitz New Member

Well actually yes it is possible to be a hypocrit and a professing Christian because although in Christ we are holy in God's eyes we still await the final fulfillment of complete restoration. Therefore, we still struggle with our sinful nature and in that struggle hypocracy can arise.

6. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Question: Should you also go and ask this person to forgive you, even though they didn't hear what you said about them?

I'm asking because a while back I heard a preacher talk about this same situation, and he said if we bad-mouthed someone behind their back, we should go and ask their forgiveness, not just God's forgiveness.

Your thoughts?

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, that's interesting. I have heard a pastor say the same thing once, myself.

I would have to say that shocking them by telling them what you said behind their back and then apologizing for it in the same breath is going to do more harm than good. In my mind, if they were not aware of the meanness that you spoke about them, you would have to apologize.....and then apologize for apologizing!

There is a fine art to an apology. And hurting someone's feelings and possibly making them angry by offering an apology is no way to apologize.

I had a friend once who used to be not quite so friendly. Once, when were laughing and having a good time, she said, "I used to say some really awful things about you a long time ago and just want to know that I have been sorry for it for a long time and need to apologize to you."

I was totally fine with that because I KNEW she used to talk about me. But we had developed a fine friendship and I accepted her apology.

I have done this before. More that once. I have gone to a person that I said it to and said something like, "You know, I said something to you the other day about so-and-so and I was waaay out of line by "telling tales". Please forgive me for putting bad thoughts about that person in your mind and forgive me for blabbing my mouth off."

To me, that's the better plan, especially if the person you bad-mouthed never knows that you said it, repented of it, rectified it by apologizing to the person it was told to and moved on.

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Scarlett--

I'm not knocking what you posted about forgiveness, but can you always be perfectly sure that this person never knew that you said something negative about him/her?

Wouldn't it be better to seek forgiveness of both the person slighted and those to whom you told these things?

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that one would just have to use his own discernment and assess how much damage he did when he shot his mouth off. Sometimes you know it gets around and other times, thank goodness, it doesn't.