1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

There's A New Preacher In Town

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by tyndale1946, Jan 20, 2020.

1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Several years ago, a preacher from out-of-state accepted a call to a church in Houston, Texas. Some weeks after he arrived, he had an occasion to ride the bus from his home to the downtown area. When he sat down, he discovered that the driver had accidentally given him a quarter too much change. As he considered what to do, he though himself, 'You'd better give the quarter back. It would be wrong to keep it.' Then he thought, 'Oh, forget it, it's only a quarter. Who would worry about this little amount? Anyway, the bus company gets too much fare; they will never miss it. Accept it as a 'gift from God' and keep quiet.'
    When his stop came, he paused momentarily at the door, and then he handed the quarter to the driver and said, 'Here, you gave me too much change.'
    The driver, with a smile, replied, 'Aren't you the new preacher in town?'
    'Yes' he replied.
    'Well, I have been thinking a lot lately about going somewhere to worship. I just wanted to see what you would do if I gave you too much change. I'll see you at church on Sunday.'
    When the preacher stepped off of the bus, he literally grabbed the nearest light pole, held on, and said, 'Oh God, I almost sold your Son for a quarter.'
    Our lives are the only Bible some people will ever read. This is a really scary example of how much people watch us as Christians, and will put us to the test! Always be on guard -- and remember -- You carry the name of Christ on your shoulders when you call yourself 'Christian.'
    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits..
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

I'm glad a friend forwarded this to me as a reminder. So, I choose to forward it to you - my friends. God bless you.... Brethren we are not just watching each other, others are watching us... Be kind to one another... Brother Glen:)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My pastor preached on this yesterday. He called it the fifth gospel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a true story (who was the preacher) or was it just a nice story?

4. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe someone knows, I don't!... It was sent to me by my sister... Brother Glen:)

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quite a bit of differences in the Sword book and the story given in the OP
    Makes me think it just a story - but a good analogy

7. Oseas3

Oseas3 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    JESUS, in his pray to the Father, lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one.

It must be realized that what JESUS asked the Father will only be fulfilled in the kingdom of God, because at this end of time Satan and his ministers-2Corinthians 11: v.13-15- have spread doctrines, controversies, apostasies, false testimonies, cunningly devised fables, nice stories, in short , a gigantic deluge of messages (Revelation 12:v.15). JESUS warned us, saying: Many shall be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another. And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.

But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

8. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Necro-posting alert!

It is by our daily interactions that people judge what kind of Christians we are. Even more so for clergy. If they know you're a pastor, they will test you over and over again. Do not, however, be fooled into thinking "this guy is not important to me or my church" because everyone is! Even if they aren't members and don't attend. What value is a church if the pastor is respectful to only his friends and his congregation?