1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured These Men Are Responsible For Our Modern Versions

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Martin Andrews, Mar 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martin Andrews

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Almost all of the modern Bible versions, and every language, has its New Testament textual basis on the Greek texts produced by the United Bible Society. These are the men who were the main editors of The Greek New Testament and A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament, published by the UBS. You can see their own views on the Authority of the Holy Bible, and see whether God would use such men to translate HIS WORD.

CARLO MARTINI, who joined the UBS Greek N.T. editorial committee in 1967, is the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Milan. He was a professor at the Pontifical Biblical Institute in Rome, which, in addition to Roman Catholic heresies, promotes the theory of evolution and the heretical documentary views of biblical inspiration, etc. He is past president of the Council of European Bishop’s Conferences. A Time magazine article reported that Martini brought together a syncretistic convocation of over 100 religious leaders from around the world to promote a new age, one-world religion. In addressing this meeting, Mikhail Gorbachev said, “We need to synthesize a new religion for thinking men that will universalize that religion for the world and lead us into a new age.” Martini is a radical ecumenist and syncretist who is striving to bring all denominations and religions into a “Catholic” unity. The Bible calls this “Mystery Babylon.”

EUGENE NIDA is the father of the heretical dynamic equivalency theory of Bible translation. He believes God’s revelation in the Bible “involved limitations” and “is not absolute” and that the words of the Bible “are in a sense nothing in and of themselves” (Nida, Message and Mission, 1960, pp. 222-228). He does not believe the Bible is written “in a Holy Ghost language.” He believes the record of Jacob wrestling with the Angel was not a literal event. He denies the substitutionary blood atonement of Christ (Nida, Theory and Practice, 1969, p. 53). He denies that Christ died to satisfy God’s justice. He believes the blood of the cross was merely symbolic of Christ’s death and is never used in the Bible “in the sense of propitiation.”

BRUCE METZGER believed Moses did not write the Pentateuch, Deuteronomy was not written until 700 years before Christ, the Old Testament is a mixture of “myth, legend, and history,” the record of the worldwide flood of Noah’s day is exaggerated, the book of Job is a folktale, the miracle accounts about Elijah and Elisha contain “legendary elements,” Isaiah was written by Isaiah plus two or three unknown men who wrote centuries later, the record of Jonah is a “legend,” Daniel does not contain supernatural prophecy, Paul did not write the Pastoral Epistles, Peter did not write 2 Peter, etc. All of these unbelieving lies can be found in the notes to the Reader’s Digest Condensed Bible, which were written by Metzger, and in the New Oxford Annotated Bible, of which Metzger is a co-editor.

KURT ALAND denied the verbal inspiration of the Bible and wanted to see all denominations united into one “body” by the acceptance of a new ecumenical canon of Scripture which would take into account the Catholic apocryphal books (The Problem of the New Testament Canon, pp. 6,7,30-33).

MATTHEW BLACK is another modernistic editor of the United Bible Societies’ Greek New Testament. Black co-edited an edition of Peake’s Commentary in 1982. Peake’s was originally published in 1919 and boldly opposed fundamentalist doctrine. The editors openly reject the doctrine of the infallible inspiration and preservation of Holy Scripture. Note the following excerpt: “It is well known that the primitive Christian Gospel was initially transmitted by word of mouth and that this oral tradition resulted in variant reporting of word and deed. It is equally true that when the Christian record was committed to writing it continued to be the subject of verbal variation, involuntary and intentional, at the hands of scribes and editors” (Peake’s Commentary on the Bible, p. 633). Peake’s Commentary also casts doubt upon Trinitarian baptism: “This mission is described in the language of the church and most commentators doubt that the Trinitarian formula was original at this point in Matthew’s Gospel, since the NT elsewhere does not know of such a formula and describes baptism as being performed in the name of the Lord Jesus (e.g. Acts 2:38, 8:16, etc.).”

2. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me guess, King James Only?

3. Martin Andrews

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, my main Bible versions is the New King James. I also use the Greek New Testament of a least 8 editors, and the ESV, Weymouth NT, NIV 1984, and the KJV. I do in-depth study which means I consult many texts, including the Greek manuscripts, when I can. None can better the Bishop's Bible or the King James, for the fact that the men behind these versions had a very high regard for the Infallibility and Authority of the Holy Bible. Very unlike our modern translators which I have shown from their own statements, to be completely untrustworthy.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the reply, my apologies for my "snooty-ness".

5. Martin Andrews

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problem. always good to interact. May the Lord bless you!

6. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you, you as well!

7. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that the Niv/Nasb/Esv ALL had to agree witht he infallibility/inerrancy of the scriptures!

8. anerlogios

anerlogios Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought so too.

Doesn't the preface to the NIV, NASB, ESV, and HCSB mention a devotion to the infallibility/inerrancy of Scripture...as do all evangelical translations?

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They do. I think that Mr Andrews' point is that these people are nevertheless using a NT text that was produced by men who did not share their beliefs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That wouldn't be a question of disdain would it Jon?

So would we also post short descriptions of the documented beliefs of Mollenkott, Westcott, or Hort, to name a few?

11. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that some of the earlier translators also had their own faults.

Lancelot Andrewes comes to mind (surely no relation to the OP :) ). The man who abandoned his London church to plague while removing himself to the countryside. Or interviewing Henry Barrow in prison, even up to the night before his execution. I would say that I might share more beliefs with Henry Barrow than I would with the Anglican bishop who condemned him, and then went on to spearhead the KJV.

The darker side of the chief King James Bible translator, Lancelot Andrewes

12. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, no disdain.

13. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for that Jon. Disdain is something that meets TR advocates because of their belief in God's providence over the text. It's always been a surprise to me why and when it shows it's unwelcome face.

I'm not sure I believe Lancelot Andrewes was perfect Rob_BW, but even if he had papist ideas, which I don't believe he had, would have been able to interject those ideas into the translation because of the check system in place for the translation. Have you actually researched him or just taken the word of the modern author who made that web page? I would be careful of any author, pro or con, who didn't predate the work of Westcott and Hort. Just saying.

14. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I read God's Secretaries, the book that was quoted on the webpage. I should probably write a book report for the forum, but I've already loaned it out.

15. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A book report would be interesting.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question though would be is the Critical text a faithful witness to the original text, and i would say that it is...

17. The Parson

The Parson Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Or more how that witness wasn't properly transliterated into the newer versions because of personal bias?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any examples of that in say Nasb/Esv then?

19. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And how do you know that?

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not a textual critic, but many who are such would agree with that statement!
    One can support either the Mt/CT, as both are faithful to the original Greek text!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.