1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thessalonian Comfort or Future Coming? 2 Thess. 1

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by asterisktom, Jul 21, 2010.

1. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow.

Another one who totally misses the point. I never said any of the above. Read my post again - but read for content, not ammunition.

2. RAdam

RAdam New Member

You said their persecuters were Jews. The comfort they would receive was to see these people removed as persecutors. This was accomplished in 70 AD.

Problem is, the Jews gone, new persecuters soon rose up.

3. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the problem is you didn't even read my OP with the intelligence I know you are capable of. I said nothing about them seeing.

The relief promised - very real and effectual relief (befitting the Greek word used, ANESIS) - is that the Jews were no longer capable of persecuting the Christians. It was not a matter of mere watching or gloating. Many of thousands of these Jews went down to Jerusalem to sacrifice but stayed to die, or to go into captivity. And during this time (AD 70 -73) 1000s of Jews throughout the Empire were persecuted and killed.

Yes, later under Domitian, persecution of Christians resumed. That says nothing against what Paul had promised these Christians in the early 50s. He never said Christians would never have persecution.

But neither was he merely given - like almost all futurists teach - a bare, bland assurance that "everything will even out in the end".

#63 asterisktom, Jul 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2010
  4. RAdam

RAdam New Member

Consider the passage at hand. He says, "to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels..."

They were to rest. What if some of them lived until the later Roman persecution? I guess Paul's promise of rest was to be revoked and another period of persecution and tribulation begin.

Furthermore, the event that would bring rest is the revealing of the Lord Jesus from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God and obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus wasn't revealed from heaven in 70 AD. The Jews today still don't get why the temple and city was destroyed and they were punished. They don't get that these things came from their rejection of Jesus and His messengers. Neither the Jews then present, nor the Romans, nor Titus, nor Josephus saw or understood that Jesus Christ was pouring judgement on the Jews. Much less did they see His angels attend Him.

This judgement was to be everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, not temporal death, the temporal destruction of the city, and imprisonment and slavery. Also, this event was to be when the Lord was come to be glorified in His saints, and to be admired in all them that believe in that day.

Basically what you are saying is all this was accomplished in 70 AD. I cannot see how you can fulfill all of that in 70 AD.

5. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    First of all the word ANESIS means, "relief", not "rest". And that is how the word is used here. That is what we have here: Relief from an actual situation of present pressure - without any intervening time or agent. It is like a beleaguered army is relieved by reinforcements. Or a headache being relieved by an aspirin.

Paul's promise was not revoked by later events - even if some of the original hearers were still alive, which was entirely possible. The promise was not meant to be an eternal principle, though Paul does give those later in the epistle.

And, yes, I see you bolded the word "when". Good. That is my point as well. Of course we disagree with the fulfillment of that "when".

You see the word "reveal" and think it has to be physically visible. Think spiritually. When Jesus told Nathanael...

"“Because I said to you, ‘I saw you under the fig tree,’ do you believe? You will see greater things than these.” And He said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, hereafter you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man. (John 1:50 - 51)

Now when exactly did Nathanael see this? During Christ's earthly ministry? At His 2nd Coming? Are we even to take it so literally? No. The seeing is figurative - just as the appearing in AD 70 is. But though it is figurative it is nonetheless real.

Relief, not rest. And the ones Paul is speaking of is not the whole group of wicked mankind in general, but the ones persecuting the Thessalonian Christians - who happen to be Jews - in the 50s. Let's not lose sight of audience relevance.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But Tom, how do you know what Nathanael saw since it is not recorded. Just because we have no record of an event doesn't mean it didn't happen and just what is a the "spiritual" meaning anyway of what Jesus promised them (the word see [optomai] is 2nd person plural)?

We have a record of at least one angel appearing to Jesus in a very real way...

Luke 22:43 And there appeared (optomai) an angel unto him from heaven, strengthening him.​

So at least Luke witnessed this event, or it was recounted to him.

In addition we do have records of angels appearing to do some very earthy things (like wearing clothes, sitting, speaking):

John 20
    11 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
    12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
    13 And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
    14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.​

Tom, it really seems to me that full preterism has a handy tool called "allegorization" or "spiritualization" to apply whenever things start falling apart with the interpretation.

I fully understand that allegory, imagery, etc are varifiable tools used in the Scripture, however it does seem a really big stretch (IMO) to allegorize the coming of the Roman armies and the destruction of the Temple in AD70 as the Second Coming of Christ especially in light of the fact that some other seemingly very literal events are foretold in Scripture:

e.g.

2 Peter 3
    10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
    11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
    12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
    13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.​

Where is this new earth wherein dwells righteousness?

Begging your pardon my brother, but full preterism seems more to me to be on a plane with the doctrine of "Transubstantiation" where we are asked to lay reason and logic aside and accept the unreasonabe and less than logical.

True, God has asked us in the past to do just that but IMO full preterism has too many loose ends to snip and too many convoluted knots to untie.

Partial preterism has far fewer problems.

HankD

#66 HankD, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  7. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not arguing against "optomai" events, angels appearing in the basic sense of the word. I am just arguing - both in Nathanael's and AD 70's case - that we needn't insist on a physical seeing.
    Once again, not arguing against any of this.

But, see, that's just it. It isn't a matter of "things falling apart" with Preterism. Preterism put the pieces together. It returns integrity to the words of Christ and the Apostles, most notably the recent example of 2 Thes. 1. I am sorry that this is your perception of FP. It certainly isn't mine.
    The Bible is a spiritual book. God is Spirit. The most important truths are spiritual. This is one of the hardest hurdles to get over.
    Two terms from your quote above merit especial investigation. "Elements" (stoicheia) and "new heavens and new earth". Do a study on how those two are used in Scripture - not in just any old eschatology book. I will get to the "new heavens and new earth" at some point in my Isaiah series. That was a real eye-opener, one of the key pieces that led me to Full Preterism. But the thing to get over is to be willing to examine the passages objectively.

No offense taken. And I am totally aware of how Full Preterism is viewed - especially
    on a bulletin board like this. Was Christ "logical" when He told the Jews, "Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up."? Wouldn't the Jews have put His comments on a plane with Transubstantiation?

These things are spiritually discerned. Some perceptions that may seem to the safeguards of logic are really just an ingrained habit of "having the world too much with us". Paul, in 1 Cor. tried again and again ti teach the Corinthians that spiritual truths must be spiritually apprehended. Partial Preterism has the greater problems (speaking as a former Partial Preterist) because they do not commit IMO to some consistent tenets of of a truth that they are beginning to see.

Those tenets, at least some of them, are the ones I mentioned above, those two terms. Another tenet is the fact that AD 70 is important in prophecy. Another tenet is that the Bible says that there were only two comings of God

"And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation." Heb. 9:27 - 28

So this means that the coming of AD 70 would either need to be a real coming or not at all a coming. Partial- Preterism seems to want this to be partial fulfillment, but still wants to hold out for another second coming later.

I know, Hank, I had promised a more comprehensive view of Full Preterism (at least the way I see it) but I just seem to be getting swamped with other things. Hopefully this will do for now.

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Honestly: I see and understand you method of interpretation, however I am not conviced any more now than ever.​

Let me know when you are ready to deal with the question concerning this material universe and its "end".

In the mean time, my expectation from FP is that this material universe is a) eternal in the direction of the future or b) will die the death of entropy at some undisclosed time or c) It is not worthy of discussion.

Obviously, if all Scripture is fulfilled (and therefore, presumably, a closed book in terms of future events), then it would have nothing to say about this event unless you (generic "you") can point to one passage dealing with the "end" of the material universe since it seems not to be 2 Peter 3.

BTW, a thought crossed my mind. Since FP believes that the Second Coming has already happened, do you participate in communion services?

1 Corinthians 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.​

Thanks again​
    HankD

9. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I have been reading your explanation of 1 Thessalonians 1:7 and find it completely bankrupt of textual support. The term "when" cannot be divorced from what can only be regarded as a visible expectaton of the second coming of Christ from heaven with "eternal" consequences not temporal consequences.

To apply the term "rest" regardless how you interpret it to A.D. 70 is disputed by the very nature of events that are confined to that "when" event. There is a second "when" in verse 10 that is contemporanous and that is our glorification as saints - neither "when" can be applied, restricted or interpreted to A.D. 70 without doing serious harm to the text. Notice that both "when" (vv. 7,10) are restricted to "IN that day" (v. 10b).

I do not know how anyone can deny that the common Christian living at that point in time did not look forward to "rest" from all tribulation which could occur only "WHEN" he Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
    8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
    9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
    10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Trying to apply this text to A.D. 70 is unnatural and forced beyond all imagination.

10. Eagle

Eagle Member

I have been reading this thread with interest. HankD, I love this point - quoted above - as well as the very strong point you have made about the end of the world. I am planning to start a new thread soon to once again point out the extremely strong tie-in between the death of death and the return of Christ. All of these are very strong examples why Preterism does not stand up to scriptural analysis. We openly examine it - and find it wanting - it is not that we are "blinded" or "obstinate" - necessarily!

11. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quick comment for now; Just so everyone knows, I I don't use the words "blinded" and "obstinate" when dealing with those who disagree with me on this subject. I don't know who you are quoting. It is not me.

I deleted my long post below. It seemed too much like whining on my part. Perhaps a better thing to do would just to take a break from all this.

#71 asterisktom, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2010
  12. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ------------

#72 asterisktom, Jul 24, 2010
  13. asterisktom

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ------------

#73 asterisktom, Jul 24, 2010
  14. Eagle

Eagle Member

I see nothing in this passage, were I alive in Thessalonica back in the day, that would make me; 1) believe that there had to be physical "relief," "rest," etc., shortly on the way; 2) feel "wronged" by God for allowing me to continue to endure the persecution of the day. But what I would have been is: 1) encouraged by knowing that it was righteous and even normal to be persecuted as my Lord had been, and that God recognized this fact. 2) that God also recognized whom was doing the persecuting and that they would get theirs - one day. This same principle is taught in many other places throughout scripture - nothing different to be found here.

Christians have been persecuted through the centuries since 70 AD - so where is the "rest" for all of them/us - if the Lord has come? Do you seriously think that ONLY these Thessalonians of that day were to be given "rest" at Christ's return?

Who is the "us" as in "rest with us" from v. 7? If Paul wrote it - did it not include Paul? Was Paul even "alive" in 70 AD; did he receive his rest then? If Paul understood it to mean very short term rest/relief from physical persecution, synonymous with the return of Christ during his lifetime - contemporary with the then living Thessalonians - he rather missed the boat didn't he?

Also, God really had to have vengeance on dem bad ole Jews of that day for 'knowing not God' and 'disobeying the Gospel' (v. 8) - in flaming fire no less - but all the other persecutors thru history since 70 AD - not so much?

Christ came and was 'glorified in His saints' and 'admired by all them that believe' (v. 10) - except there is really no definitive historical record of it. It was apparently soon forgotten by His "glorifying" and "admiring" followers as well - because they too left no record of it for us today, and most of us don't believe it ever happened.

I must say, this seminal event, this epochal moment, this one, single, much prophesied of, and much ballyhooed return of Christ didn't leave much of an impression at all - did it? This is to say nothing of the unfulfilled portions of scripture/prophecy yet remaining.

Just a few observations.

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

This was the very point I made in an earlier post that was completely ignored by asterisktom.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
    10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
    11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

Tom's argument is that God must avenge the Thessalonians within their lifetime. But in Revelations it shows believers who have been slain for Jesus's sake who are still awaiting revenge. Jesus gives them a white robe and they are told to rest yet a little "season" until their fellowservants and brethren should be killed as they were.

Now, I may be wrong about this, but I think the word season is noteworthy. Season of course means a period of time, but most recognize there are four seasons. In Acts Peter told the Jews that the heaven must receive Jesus until the "times" of "restitution of all things". So, we must understand what these "times" mean, and what the "restitution of all things" mean before we can know when Jesus will come.

But before this, Jesus had also spoken of times or seasons in Acts 1.

Acts 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
    7 And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

It was after this that Peter spoke of "times" plural before Jesus would come.

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;
    20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
    21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Now, I don't know how any Preterist could ignore these statements by both Jesus and Peter in Acts. Jesus said it was not for the apostles to know the times or seasons that the Father had put in his own power. This was in direct response to them asking when Jesus would restore the kingdom.

And then in Acts 3 Peter says the heaven must receive Jesus until the "times" of restitution.

How can any Preterist not be interested in finding out exactly what these times and seasons mean in scripture and if they fit their belief that Jesus came in 70 A.D.?

#75 Winman, Jul 24, 2010
  16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Eagle. Correct about the being "blinded" and/or "obstinate" necessarily! part.

I don't like leaving any stone unturned in the examination of any new or developing doctrine within the church venue.

I need it settled in my own mind so that I can have an answer to those with whom I have to do (such as my Sunday School Class I have been priviledged to guide).

So far, Tom has made some good observations but there are so many inconsistencies and difficulties (like those mentioned above), I just can't consider full preterism as a possibilty (IMO).

And really, I don't begrudge him his view. I am convinced of his sincerity and concern for the well being of the church(es).

HankD (trying to be fair)

17. Eagle

Eagle Member

You're right on Winman!

18. RAdam

RAdam New Member

The preterist says that the supposed coming of Christ in 70 AD doesn't require a physical, universal seeing of Jesus. The problem is, the bible in very clear language says that the second coming of Jesus would be a physical event witnessed by all, even they who pierced Him. "As the lightening cometh out of the east, and shinest even unto the west; so shall the coming of hte Son of man be." Jesus had just gotten through telling His disciples about 70 AD and then makes this statement to not believe men who said the Son of man had come and was in the desert or in the secret chambers. Don't believe it, says Jesus, for here is what my second coming will be like. The lightening hits over there, but shines to way over there. Jesus will not return in secret, it will not be an event that goes unnoticed by millions. That is what is asked of us in order to believe your view of 70 AD. Every eye will see Him.

19. Logos1

Logos1 New Member

The futurist view of Rev 1:7: So Many Problems so Little Faith so Much Denial

The futurist’s view of Rev. 1:7 divorces it from its Old Testament roots of what coming with the clouds has always meant and always been understood to mean by the first century audience. With all the many cloud manifestations of God in the Old Testament not once was God ever actually seen—they represented his presence. As in Isaiah 19:1 when he rode a swift cloud against Egypt. Every one saw God here coming in judgment against Egypt thru the Assyrians just as everyone saw Christ coming in judgment in 70AD thru Rome against Jerusalem.

In the futurist view Christ can’t tell time. In verse 3 John says the time of Christ’s coming is near. Near doesn’t mean far off as in thousands of years that would make a mockery of the divinely inspired writing of the Holy Bible. Seven times Revelation states that his coming is near. Never does it say far off, long time, any other such delay in his coming.

In Matthew Jesus himself assures Caiaphas that he will see his return. Is Caiaphas still alive today still waiting to see his return? Are those who pierced Jesus still alive today still waiting for his return? The futurist is forced to believe they are still alive and waiting or conveniently ignore these passages or torture the meaning beyond all recognition to wiggle out of the simple and straight forward meaning of these verses.

The futurists demands the physically impossible from verse 7. If every eye is going to see Jesus in human form show up in the clouds (let’s assume Jesus is about 6 ft tall) it would be impossible to see such a 6 ft. figure very high up. Not to mention the problem people on the other side of the planet would have seeing him. It’s beyond absurd even laughable. Jesus must slap his knee with a jolly big laugh when he hears people claiming this.

I could go on with the many problems the futurist view runs into with Rev 1:7, but will stop just by lamenting on how sad it is that the futurist view robs Christ of his magnificence, glory and supreme authority over all creation. The Old Testament association of God with the clouds is imbued with his omnipotent authority and power and rule over all creation. He is the supreme ruler of the heavens and the universe and affairs of man and all His creation. When Jesus (Mark 13:26) states he is coming with power and glory on the clouds he is associating himself with the divine authority of God and God’s singular authority to judge, to punish, and to deliver retribution upon Jerusalem. Instead of seeing the promised work of Christ in the destruction of Jerusalem the futurist reduces it to the work of man thus stripping Christ of his authority, his fulfillment of prophecy, and His sovereignty over the affairs of man. The futurist view is nothing less than a denial of who Christ is and repudiating the divine inspired writing of the Holy Bible thru the Holy Spirit.

20. lastday

lastday New Member

Lastday

Logos1:
    Into our most essential doctrine you attempt to mix 3 conjectures that limit Christ's Authority! You accuse Futurists of “robbing Christ of His Authority” at His Coming and Presence!! His Coming in Kingdom Power must precede His Coming in Power and Glory by 1263 or 1264 Days!!!

You seem to support Christ's Authority; but curb that Authority with your theoretical human reasoning:
    Essense of your quotes are abridged here:

Your Reasoning makes 3 serious and unsubstantiated accusations:

ONE: Does the Futurist say "Christ can’t tell time" because, as you claim, Rev.1:3 says “Christ’s coming is near”? Or is there another explanation?

TWO:
    THREE:
    [End of three speculative "Reasons"].

In our recent discussion of “You will not have gone through the cities of Israel before the Son of Man comes”, Winman placed a restriction upon the knowledge of Jesus that either sees Him “mistaken” about the possibility of His coming in Kingdom Power for 1260 Days PRIOR to His Coming and Presence in the clouds of heaven OR that He deliberately “deceived” the Disciples into believing a “false” rumor rather than in the possibility that John might not die until he returns from heaven to demonstrate “God's Kingdom Power and Christ's own Authority” BEFORE He appears through the clouds in Person and in Power and in Glory and Before He gathers the Saints from the earth. But I suggest you go too far in having curbed His Authority!

ONE: Was Jesus unable to “tell time” according to the Futurist or according to YOUR reasoning?
    RESPONSE:
    In the very first word of the Greek text of Matt.16:27, the word “mello”, present tense, is used by Jesus when He refers to His future coming in glory with the angels to reward every believer as being “about to occur”.

You insert about 40 years between verse 27 and verse 28. Between 40 to 60 years later Jesus informed John in Rev.12:5 that when “He (the child of the woman) was caught up to heaven, He was ABOUT (mello) to shepherd all nations with an iron staff”. Again, you insert at least 40 years between verse 5 and 6. Our question concerns the length of time God means for “nearness”.

ANSWER: “Nearness” to God regarding 2000 years is no more than like 2 days in human reasoning! To God the fulfillment of all of Rev.6 to Rev.19 was “near” as of the First Century when John wrote!! All men will see Christ coming in the clouds to execute wrath at His Presence in Power and Glory!!!

TWO: Does Jesus not have the Power to flash the image of His Presence Instantly and Globally?
    ANSWER:
    It is the Presence (Parousia); not the Coming (erchomai) that occurs instantly, “like lightning”! The Sign of Christ's Presence will be like lightning; but “then men who see Him will mourn”!! His Presence, like lightning, occurs before the tribes “mourn and then He gathers the Elect from the earth"!!!

THREE: Will Caiaphas and others who “pierced Jesus see Him coming (erchomai)” after He appears?
    ANSWER:
    Caiaphas may have become a Believer before he died. He would see Jesus and appear with Him at His Parousia! While the tribes of earth “mourn”, they may “see Christ coming with all the Saints” including Caiaphas!! The text can be translated so that “those who see Jesus coming also see millions who pierced Him coming with Him”!!!
    Mel Miller

#80 lastday, Aug 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2010