1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

They never sing all of the verses

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by Craigbythesea, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would someone please give me an example of a hymn that is "poetically wrong" or "bad poetry"?

And then would you please give a doctrinely based answer as to why you would refrain from singing it because of it violating some frivilous rule of rhyme scheme or poor iambic pentameter?

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

How much time have you got?
    Whoa, now, I don't think there's any "scriptural mandate" that says "thou shalt not sing any hymn that violates the rules of iambic pentameter" or the like. But the fact is that hymns are not scripture, not doctrine, and neither mandatory nor banned as far as scripture. They're fallable human words set to fallable human standards of fallable human tastes. As those tastes change, it's perfectly permissible to edit, rearrange, and update those tunes as we see fit.

3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was only asking because two other posters said that they "don't sing them" and "they should be left out" because of being "bad poetry".

Actually, they were lumping bad theology and bad poetry together....in my opinion, those are two different animals.

I would never leave out a hymn or a verse of a hymn because I didn't care for the poetic stylings of the author.

4. PamelaK

PamelaK New Member

Let me just say "the glassy sea" in "Holy Holy Holy" has a very grating sound but it doesn't stop me from singing the hymn. There....I've always wanted to complain about that! :D

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unless you sing every verse of every hymn you know or have available-- EQUALLY-- you are doing that, aren't you?

6. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A logical deduction.