1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thief on the Cross

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Walls, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Walls

Walls New Member

It is said that you can't be saved, unless you have heard the word. (Ro 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.)

My question is thus: Who witnessed/preached to the thief on the cross?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Word of God Himself (In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God).

3. John Wells

John Wells New Member

And he said, Jesus, remember me when thou comest in thy kingdom. (Luke 23:42)

The penitent thief’s prayer reflected his belief that the soul lives on after death; that Christ had a right to rule over a kingdom of the souls of men; and that He would soon enter that kingdom despite His impending death. His request to be remembered was a plea for mercy, which also reveals that the thief understood he had no hope but divine grace, and that the dispensing of that grace lay in Jesus’ power. All of this demonstrates true faith on the part of the dying thief, and Christ graciously affirmed the man’s salvation. -- John MacArthur

4. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

If we understand that he died before Christ rose again, than the thief died under the old covenant. Christ had the power to forgive sins, so it seems that He did so.

5. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

The thief was hanging right beside the WORD...

One rejected Christ and one accepted Him. (Same as the world today...)

"There is nothing new under the sun."

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Actually I have heard from one organisation that there were Five thieves, I think that my source was the Grail Church.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christ had been performing miracles throughout the region for the past three years. Just a few days before the crucifixion he triumphantly entered Jerusalem. Of course the thief knew about Jesus and his ministry. Who knows he may have been in a croud of people who heard him preach at one time.

Rob

8. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Here is the scripture you were using:
    Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Salvation does not come by preaching, Salvation comes thru the Holy Spirit. How much more of the Holy Spirit do we need than Jesus Christ in the flesh. The forgiven thief just responded to what he knew in his heart and he was recieved by God.

9. Walls

Walls New Member

From what I can gather from everyone's post, is that the thief didn't need a witness, because he had Christ!

10. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

The Bible actually is silent concerning how many people were crucified besides Christ. If we understand history and such, there were more than likely tens, if not hundreds, crucified at the same time. The Bible speaks merely of two that were beside him.