1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

THINGS WE OUGHT TO DO

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by John3v36, Jun 10, 2004.

1. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

“Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone” (Matthew 23:23).
    We should also take this sharp rebuke by Jesus to the legalists of His day seriously today. Although we are saved by grace alone, there are many things we ought to do, not as a matter of credit toward salvation, but as gratitude for our salvation. Surely judgment, mercy, and faithfulness are high on such a list.
    Other “oughts” of the born-again Christian life would include the following incomplete listing:
    Prayer: “Men ought always to pray, and not to faint” (Luke 18:1).
    Obedience to God as Priority: “We ought to obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29).
    Working and Sharing: “So laboring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how He said, It is more blessed to give than to receive” (Acts 20:35).
    Gracious in Speech: “Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man” (Colossians 4:6).
    Walking with God: “As ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more” (I Thessalonians 4:1).
    Heeding God’s Word: “We ought to give the more earnest heed to the things which we have heard, lest at any time we should let them slip” (Hebrews 2:1).
    Sanctified Behavior: “What manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness” (II Peter 3:11).
    Go To Church: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10:25)

2. Watchman

Watchman New Member

Good thoughts. I could not imagine anyone here disagreeing with your post, except to add to it:
    Bible study and witnessing come to mind.

3. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

"Things we ought to do" reminds me of the time when Jesus cursed the fig tree because it didn't produce figs. Immediately following, he cleared the temple. As simple as it sounds, believers "ought to be" winning souls to the Lord (reproducing).

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an awful jump in logic, but won't argue with you here, USN. Start a thread if you'd like.

I am thankful I have never won a soul.

5. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Is there any where in the Bible where obedience to God commands is linked to gratitute of our salvation?

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you love me, keep my commandments . .

7. John3v36

John3v36 New Member

AMEN!!!

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John 13:14 - If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
    Romans 15:1 - We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
    1 Cor. 11:7,10 - For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man...For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
    Eph. 5:28 - So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
    Jas. 4:15 - For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.
    1 John 2:6 - He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
    1 John 3:16 - Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren.
    1 John 4:11 - Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.