1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is the Third day

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Dr. Walter, Jul 28, 2011.

1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well being he assigned twelve hours to the daylight part of a day, let's go with that. He was in the heart of the earth for thirty six hours of daylight time. Where does that leave us? Well let's see twelve hours of daylight on Saturday, twelve more on Friday and twelve on Thursday puts to about 6 AM Thursday morning. The nights, oops the nights wont work with time of death and burial. We'll have to start over.

2. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

To state the fact that 12 hours exists in a day does not mean that less than twelve hours discounts that as being reckoned as a day. It only means that there is no more than 12 hours reckoned as a day.

3. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Happy to see you and I can hold back, should we think someone is trying to tell us something; at least better than some other conversations as can be seen on the board. Takes us all to keep this old world on its toes.
    We do agree it does say seven days shall you eat.
    We are going somewhere tomorrow. We are preparing to do so. Is today the 1st day, or will tomorrow be the 1st day? What we accomplish today (our Passover) will turn into tomorrow, day 1. Could we be saying the same thing?
    May I put it this way… all I have said is what you show John to say, viz. the Passover includes necessary preparation that same day; however the 7 days of the feast of unleavened bread does not begin until the next day, Nisan 15.
    This is factored into what I have posted. The ninth (9th) hour of their day is 3PM our time. Their daytime started at 6AM, and nine (9) hours later it is 3PM.
    I have said, just as scriptures tell us, the dough was made ready before the 1st day of 7 days of Unleaned Bread, which day was Thursday Nisan 15. The Lord's Passover supper was consumed on the same day that He was slaughtered. And this dough had been prepared before the 15th of Nisan. No manual labor, such as making dough could be done that High Sabbath day, Thursday, Nisan 15.
    And I fully agree with Exodus 12:6-8, they are to eat unleavened bread on the 14th day of Nisan. But the feast of unleavened bread does not start until Nisan 15.
    We have all been tweaked along the way. May I interject here what I have before posted, and stand by what is found in Leviticus 23:6, which to me is very clear. "And on the fifteenth day of the same month is the feast of unleavened bread unto the Lord: seven days ye must eat unleavened bread."

It also helps me to remember TWO things are involved.
    One is a happening, the Fourteenth.
    Followed by 7 days of u unleavened bread.
    Aren't you saying the same as I, begin on the 15th day to begin counting? It begins on Thursday, ending on Wednesday the 21st.

4. ituttut

ituttut New Member

John 19:14, "And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!"

Jon 3:1 tells us the Lord's Supper was eaten on Nisan 14, shortly after 6pm, the starting of their 24-hour day. Then we se on that same day at noon, ", Behold your King!"

5. ituttut

ituttut New Member

In Genesis chapter 1 God tells us how many hours are in a day. Dark separated from light with 12 hours of dark, and 12 of light. I have never said a part of a day cannot be counted; but when a part of a day Is Counted it must then go i8nto the next day, then the next day, and into the third day. This then will accomplish the seventy-two hours that Jonah was in the Fish, and Jesus was in the Heart of the earth.

I ask you a question please. Why is it you believe the Jew today, they that have been blinded, and those before that killed Messiah? They were, and are (those blinded) just as were the Apostles we see in Luke 18:32-34."For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
    33. And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. 34. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken".

Is it not you that believe the logic of men, those that are today blinded? Jesus said He would, and He did send the Comforter to them. Then and only then did they understand (not what hadn't been told to any man YET, PAUL), but only whatever He had told them.

Oh if only we would just believe what Jesus said on earth, and then what He says to us from Heaven. Oh if only we would believe Peter when he tells us we had better understand Paul, and then John confirms much later the things that Paul wrote to us. Peter props up Paul at one end of the bookshelf, and then John at the other end with his gospel.

John then seals the scriptures as he finishes speaking to God's people, Israel, in the book of Revelation. God gave to each one a Book to write to His People, Daniel 12:1. Then in verse 4 we find God intends to have someone else close out the TIME of The GENTILES in another book. That Book of Revelation wrote by John finishes out the Book of Daniel. Both of these Books are written to Israel, God's people to whom He has pro0mised this earth. And when that day comes (after our Rapture) the Jew will no longer be subject to the Gentile, but just the other way around. For all eternity the Gentile will be servants (those not in the Body of Christ) to Israel, and Israel will go and worship their God. Their servants, the Gentile may also go along with them.

Won't we in the Body of Christ be With Him, when God's people come to worship?
    I am not sure you have read what I have before written. Nisan 14th can fall on any day of the week, but Nisan 14 fell on a Wednesday the year Jesus was crucified.
    But doesn't your logic contradict other scripture? Doesn't Matthew 27:63-64 tell you, you are wrong? "Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
    64. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first." This is Nisan 15, Thursday, when this conversation is taking place. The Third day is Sunday. This is the day that Jesus will bodily leave the tomb, and the guards were there when the stone was rolled away on that Sunday, i.e. if we believe the Bible, and not man.

Luke 24:46 tells us plainly"And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:" Jesus did die, and then arose from the dead. His soul and spirit arose from the dead and entered His body on that Saturday Sabbath. But when was the stone rolled away?

We are told in Matthew 27:66, "So they went and made the tomb secure, sealing the stone and setting the guard." What day was this done? It had to be the next day, for Joseph had rolled the stone into place just as Nisan 14 was ending. Joseph, and the women could do nothing else for now it was Nisan 15, a High Sabbath day. So on Thursday the guards sealed the stone. Jesus did not leave the Tomb until the stone was rolled away by an angel, and that was on Sunday before the women arrived at the tomb.

In Jonah we see he was in the fish three days and three nights. On the third day the fish deposited Jonah on dry ground. Then being alive, Johan was told, ARISE now, and go into Nineveh. Did Jesus also say Three days and nights? After reviving, just like Jonah, didn't Jesus then Arise and go forth after the stone was rolled away? We know there are two raisings in both cases. The bars of hell were not allowed to hold either man, so they both arose from the dead. Is there not then another arising from the ground by both men?

Jesus says in Mark 8:31, "And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again" I just don’t understand why Christians refuse to believe Jesus. Even Pilate believed this truth, as did the guards. This is written down for us, and still so many reject flat out what Jesus says. Your understanding in this matter just has too many contradictions.

6. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Genesis one says no such thing. The only reckoning of days in Genesis is TWO parts - evening and morning and that is precisely how I reckoned the days in my discussion of Luke 24:21 and the "third day."

Says who? Says what text??

How do you know what year he died? How do you know what year he was born? In order to define the precise year he died you must know the precise year he was born.

I don't see how you can argue that the above scriptures present anything contrary to my interpretation of Luke 24:21?? Matthew 27:60 tells you plainly that they made this petition "on the next day" and therefore they were including that day in their count which would again make Sunday the "third day." Matthew does not use the preposition "apo"!!!! The "next day" would begin at 6 pm that evening and end 6pm the following evening. Again, it perfectly fits my position without flaw!

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Like that.

8. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

There is no argument that the evening and morning of a Jewish day consists of 24 hours. Jesus obviously is referring to the "morning" aspect or daylight portion.

My position and my method of counting whole days is exactly as Jesus does here into two divisions and just like God's Word does from the first chapter of Genesis - evening (12 hours - 6pm to 6am) and morning (6am to 6pm).

However, Jesus uses the term "day" in the very text quoted for something less than 24 hours as he specifically says 12 hours. Hence, I do not believe that my position is unbiblical at all or unreasonable at all but in perfect keeping with the scriptures and with Luke 21:24.

9. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Dr, Walter.

For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Would you care to suggest the minimum number and maximum number of hours Jonas was in the fish and that the Son of Man was in the heart of the earth or is there just one answer?

Just as an exercise for I do not necessarily Believe it proves anything, however it could be relevant. Genesis 22:1-12 your best guess on how many hours passed from the time God told Abraham to offer Isaac until verses 11,12 When Hebrews 11:19 would have applied. Heb. 11:19 Accounting that God [was] able to raise [him] up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
    This also would have been in, on, after the third day.

#49 percho, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2011
  10. ituttut

ituttut New Member

This is a good place to again listen to what God says. Genesis 1:5, "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day". Why do you contradict yourself? You start by saying the above verse does not say what it says. And then you turn right around, and then say you actually do believe what He says for you speak of a Third day. Won't two days have to pass before coming to your Third Day?

So as you deny, and then accept the truth, you then in error choose the wrong day that Jesus was crucified.

This is evidently what you are contending, so I'm not putting words into your mouth. What you have determined just cannot be for as your fuzziness of hours in a day, so is your fuzziness of choosing a day. You say Jesus' crucifixion happened on a Thursday. If I am wrong then please correct me. It won't hurt my feelings.

You say Sunday, and I also say it is a Sunday. But I cannot agree with your understanding in this matter in Luke. Please try to0 follow what I am saying.

It is Sunday in the afternoon when they are talking. When do the women discover that the stone has been rolled away, and Jesus' body is not in the Tomb? The women arrived just as the sun was coming up, about 6AM. This of course tells us 12 hours of that First Day has passed. Surely you cannot say this is not right as to how God told His people to count their Full Days, i.e. beginning at night at sunset, then ending of the daytime.

Please take a moment to see if I am reading you correctly. They are talking a good number of hours after Sunday started, but as they walk and talk it is still Sunday. And we also know we can count from 6AM Sunday to 6AM Saturday, which is 24 hours. = 1 day.

Saturday to Friday = 2 days.

Friday to Thursday = 3 days. From 6AM on Sunday to 6AM on Thursday is 72 hours. So there is your three days YOU are talking about. But as I've said before, this is not what Luke is saying.

I believe the above is what you are saying, and trying to incorporate what you see in verse 18 into the Three Days, which says in part "the things which are come to pass there in these days?" I disagree for this is not what Luke 24:20-21 says. What Luke tells us for understanding the three-days that came after Jesus' burial. Verses 20:21, "And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him. 21. But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done. What was done BEFORE the Three Days?

Jesus was crucified, and placed into the tomb on Preparation Day, Nisan 14. This is the day before that High Sabbath Day of Nisan 15, which is the first day of the feast of Unleavened Bread. This is Thursday, and as shown above is the Three Days that they are referring to. Jesus Christ does not correct them, so it must be so.
    I thought everyone knew when one day ends, it goes right into the next day. You know, Monday is over, and just when it is over Tuesday starts.
    I believe you asked me this question before. I'll answer has I most likely did before. I have never said I knew the year that He was crucified; I also don't know the year He was born.
    See above that disproves your understanding of Luke above.

Matthew only confirms what I said in reference to chapter 27:62-64, "Now the next day, that followed the day of the preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
    63. Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
    64. Command therefore that the sepulchre be made sure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, He is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse than the first."

It shows this is Thursday, the day after Jesus was crucified, laid in the tomb, and the stone rolled into place. Thursday will get you to Sunday, but Jesus had to be in the tomb while it was still considered to be day light hours. Why? Because Jesus is the Passover, and Passover cannot begin until God's people swab on the blood over their lintel's, and on the two side posts. No manual work can be done on the next day, Thursday, for it is always a High Sabbath to God's people.

11. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

You are really very confusing to read. However, I will try to accomodate your questions.

I really don't understand your logic here at all. All I have done is defend myself against the accusation that it is unbiblical to count days according to the Jewish TWO PART reckoning of morning and evening. Since this is precisely how I counted the days from Sunday to Thursday in regard to Luke 24:21. This is precisely how Moses counted the days in Genesis one and in the very verse you quoted. The light he called day which equals "morning" of the day and the darkness he called night which equals the "evening" of the day. Hence, the day has two equal parts and hence they are reckoned as "evening" and "mornng." That is precisely how I reckoned the period of evening and mornings between the day of crucifixion and resurrection.

1. When the two said "third day" in Luke 21:24 they were in speaking in regard to the period between 6pm Saturday evening and 6 pm Sunday night. His resurrection occurred in the "evening" period not the daylight period when they were speaking. They were correct in saying this was the "third day" but still ignorant He arose in the evening period before 6 am.

2. Luke 24:20-21 says nothing about burial or that they were reckoning any time beginning with his burial. This text referes only to what the rulers did to him not what his disciples did with his body and I quote:

20 And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.

So you are incorrect that they were reckoning the period between burial and resurrection BECAUSE THEY DID NOT EVEN KNOW of his resurrection and did not even RECOGNIZE him when saying this. So don't read into their words something that is not there. They were simply reckonizing that Sunday was the "third day" APO - AWAY FROM and OUTSIDE the day of crucifixion. They chose their words carefully. Your interpretation would require them to have used EK and the meaning three days INCLUDING the day of crucifixion and that is not what they said.

3. Hence, they were not talking about the period of time between burial and resurrection but the period of time between Thursday 6 pm and Sunday up to the time they spoke which included Saturday 6pm to Sunday 6pm.

4. They positively identified Saturday 6 pm and Sunday 6 pm as the "third day" since, away from the crucifixion day which was Wednesday 6pm to Thursday 6pm.

5. Now let's count backwards between the time of resurrection and the time of burial and three evenings and three mornings STILL brings us to the first day of the week or the "third day" in Luke 24:7

Luke 24:7 Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.

EVENING resurrection between 3am to 6am first day of the week - Sunday morn
    MORNING in the grave between 6am to 6pm Seventh day of the week - Satuday
    EVENING in the grave between 6pm to 6am Seventh day of the week -Fri-Sat
    MORNING in the grave between 6am to 6pm Sixth day of the week - Friday
    EVENING in the grave between 6pm to 6am Sixth day of the week - Thurs-Frid
    MORNING in the grave between 4pm to 6pm Fifth day of the week - Thurs.

Your calculation would require not only the full morning period of Thursday but also the FULL evening period of Thursday PLUS part of Wednesday and thus make it

1. Around 10 hours on the First day of the week - Sat. 6-pm to 4-5 am.
    2. 24 hours between Friday 6pm to Saturday 6pm
    3. 24 hours between Thursday 6pm to Friday 6pm
    4. 24 hours between Wednesday 6pm to Thursday 6pm
    5. 1 hour on Wednesday

Add up the hours he was in the grave according to your theory and it is MORE than three days and three nights or 72 hours but at the very minimium 82 hours. if not 83 hours.

My position is the ONLY position that stays within some kind of 3 days and 3 night framework. Yours require FOUR evenings. The Saturday resurrection theory FALLS SHORT of 3 days any way you count it. The "good Friday" theory according to Roman time can't measure up to any kind of three day reckoning.

#51 Dr. Walter, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2011
  12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

13. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

14. rstrats

rstrats Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe this has been answered, but if not, why do those who argue for a 7th day resurrection think that the guards were still at the tomb on the 1st day?

15. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

Exactly. I have pointed that out and never got a good answer. You would think that since they were scared out of their wits so they were like dead men, the last place they would be is hanging around the grave for another night and day since they passed the women coming to the grave on Sunday morning going to town.

16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

17. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

18. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Rstrats you and Dr. Walter bring up good points, and this is one of them

I personally believe Friday is out of the question for obvious reasons to any that have looked into the matter. Thursday looks good until the contradictions cannot be explained. Wednesday however is the criterion.

I see no problem with scripture showing a Sabbath soul and spirit rising up from the heart of the earth, to again join the body of Jesus. So this would fulfill prophecy. If He didn't, then prophecy was not fulfilled. Opposing this would surely led into error.

God spoke to Israel through Jonah, and Jesus says this is a sign to His people that He (Jesus) will be in the "heart of the earth" for seventy-two hours. Jesus dies at 3pm on Nisan 14. As the Jew counted, this means Jesus' soul and spirit was again joined with His body on Nisan 17, that Saturday Sabbath. There are others than seventh Days that believe this, such other Christians, as well as some Christians that come through Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Jesus' Body came to life on that Sabbath Saturday, but we are told His Body arose again on Sunday, when the stone was rolled away.

We know most Christians believe His coming forth on Sunday, which was Nisan 18, but cannot prove it. I believe scripture tells us He descended deep into the earth (not Body), then arising. Scripture also shows Jesus in His BODY emerging from the tomb on that Sunday morning.

Will those saved, when they die leave their Bodies? Will we then again be connected with the Body, and then bodily be raised up? It looks to me scripture tells us it is a two-step operation, for those who die.

I know this leaves the Rapture (which I believe in) unanswered, but we know the Rapture was unknown, and has no place in trying to make it fit into Prophecy.

19. Dr. Walter

Dr. Walter New Member

I know of no such "prophecy" regarding the Sabbath resurrection! I know of no such scripture that states "72 hours." Wednesday is impossible to harmonize with scripture and Saturday resurrection is equally impossible. Christ may have died at 3pm but he was not buried at 3 pm.

20. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Can you tell me the year? If not how do you know it was Thursday. You intimate that there are not 24 hours in a day, and a night, so it is impossible for you to determine what time church starts, or on what day you plan to go.
    I see you are not reading my posts; refusing to see 72 hours is proved by scripture.
    I'm using show & tell what the Bible tells.
    Luke 23:43, ." And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise."
    You call scripture "straw", and I call it a Firm Foundation. You refuse to believe what scripture says about the Passover. Who is the Passover? Did Jesus have to shed His blood before Passover could take place? You do not allow in your hypothesis a day for the Cross. You are saying the preparation day, and the first day of unleavened bred is the same day. Leaven is removed on preparation day, and unleavened bread is eaten, but the First Day, the Feast of Unleavened Bread begins on Nisan 15, a Thursday. It then ends on the next Wednesday
    Please take it as gospel that scripture says He died on the Cross at 3pm. So please do your own counting, and see when Jesus left the tomb after the stone was rolled away. Jesus did not arise in the afternoon on Sunday.

I agree, but some verses allow, and show the Sabbath return of His Spirit, and Soul to His Body. This allows us to really believe Jesus knew what He was talking about in the sign of Jonas that was given for God's people to believe. Israel today does not believe this, and the world believes with them.