1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This is what bugs me

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by onestand, Mar 29, 2004.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Unfortunately, this is not always the case.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF LABOR

This means that the employer is depending on customers to meet the minimum wage by tipping. If customers tip enough, the employer is on the hook only for $2.13 an hour. The money, in essence, that customers intend for the serving staff instead subsidizes the employer.

Now, there are expensive establishments were the serving staff is perfectly willing to work for practically nothing because the tips are good. That doesn't necessarily apply, however, to the neighborhood cafe.

2. jshurley04

jshurley04 New Member

Many of the resturants I have eaten at with a group of more than about 8 automatically adds the tip the the bill. I don't like this idea much because usually those that I go out with will all leave about a 10% each tip on the total bill. I used to work fast food and appreciate what food servers do. I was in Applebee's not long ago and things did not go well and I ended up leaving after the manager told me not to worry about the bill, the situation was not the fault of the waitress who tried to do what she could. Before I left, she had a tip on the table of what I thought would be about the bill I would have had to pay. I just wish I had a track at that time.

In the end it comes down to doing what is right in the sight of God and others as well. Leaving a track is a good thing to do, but if it does not come with an above average tip, then the track has not won a chance to be read or we heard.

3. onestand

onestand New Member

4. Jeffrey H

Jeffrey H New Member

A Christian should tip well. If we can't afford to put down $3 bucks on a $20 dollar bill, then we probably need to eat out less. Being "cheap" is not a good excuse either.

Tip a bigger % at breakfast because the meals tend to be cheaper but the service is the same.

5. msinave

msinave Member
    Site Supporter

I've got a question about tipping. My DH and I have recently started going to a "neighborhood diner". It's owned by a couple who also do the cooking and serving. We are comfortable enough now that we sometimes even get up and get our own coffee. Since the waitpeople are also the owners, do we still tip them? (For the record, we have been but I'm a little uncomfortable with not knowing if we should or not.)

6. onestand

onestand New Member

I would tip them, considering the fact they are pulling double duty by cooking AND serving, that's alot of work to accomplish and still run the diner. They are still serving you so, in my opinion I would say it is right to tip them.