1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

this was a good answer!

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by nodak, Jan 15, 2009.

1. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I recently read where a young family was approached by their pastor, who follows a well known megachurch pastor. The family was asked "how are you plugged into ministry? How are you serving Jesus Christ?"

The mom answered she works in discipling and evangelizing--her little children. She is in compassionate ministry also as she attends to the physical and emotional needs of kids and hubby.

The husband replied he takes seriously the call on him to provide for his family and to raise his children in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.

Both attend church regularly with the kids. Both will serve in ministries that do not interfere with their family--mom as a ss volunteer, dad as usher, etc.

Neither will at this time in their lives serve in ways that further divide the family time wise.

Don't know what the pastor replied, but I thought they were a wise young couple!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

GREAT answers! May that family be greatly blessed and have a mighty impact on the world for the Lord.

3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fantastic answer. I'm glad they know their priorities!

4. thegospelgeek

thegospelgeek New Member

Why does a pastor ask someone such a question? If God was leading them into a ministry of some sort wouldn't he tell them?

Reminds me of a time I was teaching a SS lesson on following the call of God and I thought it would be a good idea for some to tell how they came about answering such a call. After the pastor explained his calling I asked a Decon the question "Why are you a Deacon and how did the Lord call you?"

He answered, "Well we needed one and they asked me to do it."

Later as I got to know him I discover what I didn't know at the time, God never called him.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I'm not wanting to sound judgmental, here, but isn't that about what happened in Acts 6? Did the Deacon meet the qualifications in Acts 6 and II Tim. 3? (If not, that is another issue.)

If so, nothing there about some undefined mysterious "calling" from the Lord.

The idea of a deacon having a special "call" from the Lord' to that office is sound - all sound.

That of bishop/elder too, BTW.

And I'll add that Pastor is Biblically a spiritual gift, and not an office, as well. [Have I just managed to blow away about half the BB in one post, here, as 'they' decide I'm not much of a 'Baptist'? FTR, my own local Baptist church is over 225 years old (making her 63 years older than the SBC, and 3 yrs older than any Baptist Association of any sort, "west of the Alleghenies"), and for roughly the first century, usually referred to her leaders as 'Elder'.]

Ed

P.S. FTR, I think the example nodak gave is right on the money, by contrast.

#5 EdSutton, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2009