1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

This would disqualify a man from being a pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Oct 29, 2009.

?
  1. Being Single (never married)

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. Being a widower

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Having his marriage annuled

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Being divorced before salvation

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. being divorced after salvation

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  6. being married to a divorced woman

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  7. having been found guility of a felony

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  8. having no children

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Not sure

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  10. Other

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    All save three (children, annulled, not married) can cause a disqualification.

Yet depending on the context non of these may cause a disqualification.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree with you. Amongst our pastors, we have a former drunkard (actually a couple), former drug addicts, former felony offenders, former adulterers, formerly divorced, former bar band members and former gym teachers. But all of these are "former". :) They are all new creations and the old man is gone.

3. John Toppass

John Toppass Active Member
    Site Supporter

The qualifications for a pastor/elder/bishop or deacon can be found in scripture. Not being able to qualify for certain offices is not due to a form of punishment but rather it is the plan that God has given us for His own reasons.
    Unfortunately there will alway be individuals and churches that think they know what is best for them and they will twist, massage and even ignore scripture to make it mean what they want it to mean.
    These are the same folks that do their own will and then ask God to bless it instead of making sure that their will is following the will of God.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

And the simple fact that a person is divorce is scripturally not a prima facie disqualification, despite the fact that many make it so.

5. John Toppass

Site Supporter

That is true but the reasons of divorce or what the divorce leaves in its wake may disqualify them.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

With that, I agree, and I believe most people woud likewise agree: that it's not the divorce per se, but the reason for it, that may or may not be a condition of disqualification.

7. Speedpass

Speedpass Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I guess I'd be disqualified as my wife was married before we met (her ex abused her; he also passed away earlier this year) and we don't have children and don't plan any (she is 46 and battling a multitude of health issues that would make pregnancy extremely difficult). :BangHead:

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Events of the PAST (pre-salvation) can certainly disqualify. If one has such a reputation and ill-report, then gets saved, it would take decades to be qualified in the eyes of the community.

Jeffrey Dahmers, murderer/molester/cannibal, got saved in prison while on death row. Now all his sins are forgiven - we agree. But will he EVER be "qualified" as an elder?

Nope.

Illustration: Even in the US (non-church) disqualification for political office is valid. Not because of any action of the person from birth on, but simply because of WHERE a person was born.

You may have the brightest, greatest politician (another Reagan if you would) and if he was not BORN an American Citizen, he cannot run for President. This excludes "Arnold" the Governator of California.

Did the person do anything wrong? Nope. Just a qualification that the Constitution stipulates. Doesn't mean the person is evil or bad, just that he does not fulfill the qualifications.

9. Gene Hawks

Gene Hawks New Member

Gene Hawks

Would one of you brilliant scholars tell me what the phrase "husband of one wife" has to do with divorce and remarriage. We don't have to worry about this qualification in this country. If you have more than one wife your going to Jail... Might make a good prison chaplain.:jesus:

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's the problem - people read a passage (in whatever translation) and think they KNOW what it means. Words change. Translations are weak in areas and strong in others.

Husband is not in the original; "man" is the best English translation
    Wife is not in the original; "woman" is the best English translation
    One IS in the original (feminine, adj of "woman")

So it says a "one-woman man". ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH DIVORCE AND REMARRIAGE.

This disqualification of a man (possibly) because of divorce/remarriage comes from 2 other statements:

3:2 he must be irreproachable (anepalepton) in the assembly itself
    3:7 he must have a good testimony to those in the community in general

ANY divorce/marriage will take years to "work through" issues to put the elder above reproach and stellar testimony.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

But not just the reasons for a divorce should disqualify. I think a divorce should be enough. The pastor should be held to a higher standard and his example is very influential. I think having a divorced pastor can send the wrong message, both to believers and unbelievers.

12. John Toppass

Site Supporter

I was referring to what is written in the scripture. I can not find where the scripture disqualifies a pastor because he is divorced, but many things that lead to the divorce or the actions taken due to the divorce would probably disqualify the candidate.

13. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

One of the qualifications is the ability of a pastor to keep his house in order. If one cannot lead his home, how can he lead a church?

14. John Toppass

Site Supporter

That would be a perfect example of scriptural qualification

15. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

RAther than present my opinion in a poll.......

I agree with the Rev.

Whomever God chooses is fit regardless of the tangibles we easily resort to. But many are called but few chosen.

Calling a minister is a seriou involvement of requesting instruction and direction from God with much prayer, using scriptures to guide, and study of the candidates........... and a heap of patience.......and getting self out of the way.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent thought.
    The poll was based on automatic disqualifications. I fully agree with CTB that each case needs to be examined.

So any new thoughts?

Salty

ps, I bumped this because, I linked this thread to a new thread about qualifications.