1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thompson, Seeking a Theme, Takes on a Tricky Issue: Entitlements

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Sep 15, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thompson, Seeking a Theme, Takes on a Tricky Issue: Entitlements
    By SUSAN SAULNY

As Fred D. Thompson moves around the country delivering his folksy stump speech, he routinely makes his way through a laundry list of top concerns: national security, immigration reform, federalism and activist judges, among others.

But he seems most energized when he discusses the ballooning cost of entitlement programs like Social Security and Medicare, and what he calls a need for more fiscal responsibility and less government in Washington. It is a recurring campaign theme of his.

Mr. Thompson, a former Republican senator from Tennessee, made his greatest plea for the presidency, for instance, at the end of such remarks this week at a stop in Greenville, S.C., saying: “We’re going to be going through the Social Security surplus before long, along with the pork barreling and spending and the regular stuff that’s going on now, we’re seeing a demographic change.”

- rest of story at www.nytimes.com/2007/09/15/us/politics/15thompson.html?_r=1&ref=politics&oref=slogin

I would like to see all of the top tier candidates - Giulani, McCain, Romey, Thompson, Clinton, Obama, Edwards - present detailed plans for saving Social Security and Medicare.

2. Dan V.

Dan V. New Member

Biblically, why is this government's job?

Dan V.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't, but the programs aren't going away. Therefore, they need to be reformed to reflect the retirement of the baby boomers.

4. Dan V.

Dan V. New Member

True. Like public pagan education, it may take a few generations to get rid of it. These institutions maw well implode on themselves.

Dan V.

5. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Is ronnie for these federal programs?

6. 2 Timothy2:1-4

While I am against the entitlement porgrams I am all for the military spending whether there is a war or not. We cannot defend ourselves if we do not have a defense and the Police are not meant to do what libs want them to do.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. :thumbs:

8. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Who are you and what did you do with Ken?!

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have always been for a robust military.

My difference with the Bush administration in this area is over foreign policy, not building up the military. For example, I have always supported the Strategic Defense Initiative(Star Wars) ever since President Reagan announced it. I also support building the F/A-22(www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/images/f-22-99E02018.jpg) and that we should be building more of them than is planned.

I also think that our military personnel should be paid a lot more than they are and that veterans should be provided with a lot better medical care than they are.

#10 KenH, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  10. 2 Timothy2:1-4

If we dropped all the entitlement programs (except for those who really need it) then we could afford to do those very things.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. That is correct.