1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thompson Visiting Mccain This Weekend

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

2. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Don't see anything wrong with (as the article implied) two friends spending a relaxing weekend getaway....if, in fact, that's all it really is.

OTOH, if it's something that may lead to McCain having Fred Thompson as his VP running mate.....well, McCain could certainly do worse.

Fred Thompson has certainly been more consistently conservative than John McCain has been, and choosing him as a running mate might sway some conservative "fence sitters" to be less reluctant in supporting McCain's bid for the presidency.

This isn't to say that I don't have some minor issues with Thompson. Even though he also is from my [adopted] state of TN, I didn't vote for him in the TN primary election.

Right now, I'm taking a "wait-and-see" position and am mulling over whether or not I should vote for a third party in the November elections. [I've done so a couple times in past elections.]

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would think that Senator McCain would pick a much younger running mate who would exude energy for his campaign. Fred Thompson didn't exactly exude energy for his own campaign.

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My thoughts exactly. Albeit we must be careful and not judge a cnadidate solely on how he comes across on television. Charisma doesnt cause a man to make good policy decisions as we may soon find out.

5. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

While it might not be the best choice... A Condy-McCain ticket might pull some votes from those who pick on race or gender. She is considered to be a brillant woman... and she knows what she wants to say.... and what she doesn't want to say and keeps her cool.

I'm likely voting 3rd party.... provided I'm given that choice.

#5 windcatcher, Apr 6, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2008
  6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Well, as you are in Florida, please...PLEASE....punch the chad cleanly out this time. :laugh:

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Thompson is a conservative federalist whose biggest drawback is his support for McCain-Feingold.

Thompson didn't appeal to the Paris Hilton types because his world won't come to an end if he isn't President. I find that refreshing. Unlike Obama, and to a greater extent, Hillary, Fred never felt the presidency was his and anyone else who didn't have it was stealing it.

I think choosing a young running mate for McCain will undermine his argument about experience and gravitas that McCain has made against Obama. While virtually anyone will make McCain look younger ;) he does need to pick someone that would provide some balance. Someone with some executive experience.