1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thorns and Thistles

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by standingfirminChrist, Apr 29, 2008.

1. JerryL

JerryL New Member

I would like to see a Biblical answer to #37 also.

2. standingfirminChrist

Since there was no sin before disobedience, they would not have eaten 4 gallons of fruit at each meal. That would be gluttony.

3. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Care to tackle the other questions? God said they were food, are they or not?

4. Joe

Joe New Member

In Genesis the Lord said it was ALL for food, so we must believe that is truth.
    Some plants are poisonous, so we only eat small amounts or eat them when we are ill. Large doses of vitamin c (found in fruits like oranges) cure scurrvy.

The bible acknowledges the healing properties of plants and medicinal uses for plants and alcohol-

Proverbs 31:6-7*Give strong drink to him who is perishing, And wine to those who are bitter of heart. Let him drink and forget his poverty, And remember his misery no more.

Ezekiel 34:29*I will raise up for them a garden of renown, and they shall no longer be consumed with hunger in the land, nor bear the shame of the Gentiles anymore.

Revelation 22:1-2And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding from the throne of God and of the Lamb. 2 In the middle of its street, and on either side of the river, was the tree of life, which bore twelve fruits, each tree yielding its fruit every month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

5. standingfirminChrist

Every herb bearing plant was for food before the fall. But the fall changed things, JerryL.

For instance, the Word of God declares in Genesis 1:29 that every herb bearing seed was for food for man.

Hemlock is a herb that bears seed, yet if man eats it, it is sure death. So something in the properties of the hemlock had to have changed, for God said it was for food before the fall.

6. JerryL

JerryL New Member

But, He said it was food and didn't take it back.

7. Joe

Joe New Member

Man lived forever before the fall, no matter what he ate. To my knowledge, the flood was suppose to have killed everything. Plants and animals

8. standingfirminChrist

How do you know He didn't take it back?

9. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Do you know where He did? I can't find it. He said it was food, I believe it. Don't you?

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

What about #38? :D

11. standingfirminChrist

Jerry, if you think God still allows every herb bearing seed as food, I challenge you to go out in the woods and pick you some hemlock and eat it. Tell me later how good it is for food today.

12. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Here is after the flood.

Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

13. standingfirminChrist

So that shouldn't stop you from meeting the challenge then, right?

14. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Did He say it was food? Again, don't you believe what God said? Hemlock in small doses is theraputic for a varity of problems.

#54 JerryL, May 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2008
  15. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

That does not make sense. If there was no sin before the Fall then there was no sin of gluttony right? The command to not eat from the Tree of Knowledge was the only thing they were forbidden.

#55 Bible-boy, May 1, 2008
  16. JerryL

JerryL New Member

So you don't believe God? I don't want to try it but I believe what God says. Hemlock in small doses is theraputic for a varity of problems. Abuse of it probably would be bad for you.

#56 JerryL, May 1, 2008
  17. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Jerry, if you take this challenge be sure to praise God and thank Him for the food. I saw a DVD called More Than Dreams about Muslims that have come to Christ as the result of dreams about Jesus. Anyway, one African Muslim became a born again believer in Jesus and his Muslim family tried on several occassions to kill him. At one point his father and others forced him to drink poison. Before he obeyed his dad's command he asked if he could pray. His dad allowed it and he thanked Jesus for saving him and for what he was about to receive. He went to bed, woke up during the night, threw up, and shocked the entire village when he came out of his house the next morning well rested and absolutely fine. Now the Bible tells us that we are not to put God to the test so I don't think you should take SFIC up on this. The Muslim man's story is different because he was a persecuted Christian being forced to take poison and the Lord protected him. That is not the case here.

#57 Bible-boy, May 1, 2008
  18. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Genesis 1:28-30 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
    --This is what the Lord said before the fall, and then he said of his creation that he looked upon it and it was "very good."

Genesis 3:17-19 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
    18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
    19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
    --This is the curse that God put upon Adam, and the earth after the fall. This part doesn't even include the curse on Eve and the serpent. The ground was cursed, and that included the plants that would grow out of the ground, such as thorns and thistles. That is why Adam would "eat the herb of the field; in the sweat of his face he should eat bread." Thorns and thistles would the ground produce. Noxious plants of various sorts would appear that would be enemies to the plants that Adam would be trying to plant and harvest. He would have to work very hard now to plant a crop and harvest it, in comparison to simply taking care of God's Garden. All of nature had come under bondage.

Romans 8:19-23 For the creation waits with eager expectation for the children of God to be revealed.
    --The creation itself, this earth and all that is in it, also awaits the coming of the Lord.

20 For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but because of him who subjected it, in hope
    21 that the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of decay into the liberty of the glory of the children of God.
    --The creation, this earth: the plants, and all of nature, has been subject to vanity and will be delivered from the corruption and decay that it is in, when Christ comes. Even God's creation waits for the Coming of Christ.

22 For we know that the whole creation groans and travails in pain together until now.
    --The entirety of God's creation groans and is in pain right now. It is not like it was before the fall. It is different. It has the curse of God upon it. And that curse will not be removed until Christ comes, and then he will set up his Kingdom and the curse will be removed.

23 Not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for adoption, the redemption of our body.
    --We also groan. We feel pain. Our bodies grow old. And as they grow old they feel more aches and pains. We wait for the redemption of our bodies (the resurrection; the Coming of Christ), when we will receive a new body.

We will have a new body, and in the Millennial Kingdom it will seem as if there will be a new earth for the curse will be lifted.

19. JerryL

JerryL New Member

That is the best explaination I have heard so far. Thank you. It still doesn't explain what God said after the flood. Far after the fall.

Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The only difference that happened after the flood is that man became carniverous. In other words he became a meat eater.

Genesis 9:2 The fear of you and the dread of you will be on every animal of the earth, and on every bird of the sky. Everything that the ground teems with, and all the fish of the sea are delivered into your hand.
    --This is an interesting verse here. It says that "the fear of you (Noah--mankind) and the dread of you will be upon every animal..."
    When you walk into the woods, the animals scatter. They have an innate fear of man. From herein on man became a hunter, and began to hunt animals for meat.

Thus in the NT:
    1 Timothy 4:4-5 For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, if it is received with thanksgiving. For it is sanctified through the word of God and prayer.

All food is good, and nothing to be refused. Foods such as pork (which some consider to be unclean) is not to be refused on that basis. All food, God has declared to be clean.