1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured "those he predestined, he called....": meaning of "called"?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Calminian, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Generally, it seems to be believed that called here refers to God's drawing or invitation in the temporal realm.

Rom. 8:30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. (emphasis mine)​

Wondering if that's true. The very next usage of this word by Paul is in Romans 9.

Rom. 9:7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”​

This is a direct quote from Genesis.

Gen. 21:12 But God said to him, “Do not be so distressed about the boy and your slave woman. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.​

Other translations render this word called. The NASB renders it "named." “THROUGH ISAAC YOUR 1DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED.”

My take is that this calling/reckoning/naming is not God's invitation or drawing in the temporal realm, but rather God's reckoning or appointing in eternity past, before the foundations of the world. In the sense of naming (NASB) this could be related to God writing the names of the elect in the book of life.

To put it another way, calling in english can refer to both inviting and naming. Per the latter, I am called Cal, for instance. Those who believe in Jesus shall be called the children of God. Those examples definitely do not carry the idea of inviting.

Just some thoughts.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When Father God Effectually Calls by The Word of God and The ALMIGHTY Spirit of God, His child is Effectively Enabled to Spiritually Answer.

And those lost soul that were Chosen in Eternity Past that are Effectually Called, at the Moment of God Giving them Spirit Wrought Conviction of their sin against Him and The God-Given Repentance and Faith, to Believe and Trust in The Blood of Jesus and The Gospel of Jesus' Death, Burial, and Ressurrection.....

..... are Justified, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Calminian

Site Supporter

I know that's the prevalent opinion. But what about what I said? Is that not also a possibility?

4. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lot's of gyrations in your post.

There is no sence or indication or meaning of the word, 'called', in this passage that equates with, 'invited'.

Rom. 8:30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified. (emphasis mine)

This calling is Irresistible.

That is what I was expressing in my reply.

God Chose and in Time His Calling to His Chosen one, from Eternity Past, is Preached The Gospel and Granted Repentance and Faith through The New Birth, when they are Born Again, Effectively, Saved, and that soul is then, also, Justified.

That 'calling' is through The Spirit of God, Irresistibly Drawing the lost soul, by The Word of God, and Giving them a Spiritual Enabling to Agree with God, that Enters them from 'below conscienceness' , so to speak, and The Spirit Nature to Repent and Believe in Jesus, by Faith in Jesus' Work of Salvation.

With 'bring forth' substituted with the sence of 'called', above, and used in place of reckoned, below, it may give us the same two words to express the Iresistable Calling, above, as Effectively 'bring forth' and then then inevitable accounting of these children 'brought forth,' in childbirth, below, to Isaac.

Rom. 9:7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”

This is a direct quote from Genesis.

Gen. 21:12 But God said to him, “Do not be so distressed about the boy and your slave woman. Listen to whatever Sarah tells you, because it is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.

I avoid modern 'translations', because their use of and invasis on Manuscripts that were perverted, seem to alter words intentionally to the, 'flesh' side.

With this: Other translations render this word called. The NASB renders it "named." “THROUGH ISAAC YOUR 1DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED.”

... the children are still accounted, reckoned, and named, by their Appointment beforehand, by God, and them being said to be referred to be 'brought forth', as Isaac's, certainly took place in The Providence of God,

... however, 'called' in the Effectual Drawing of Salvation is an Immediate Activity of God, in a Spiritual Intervention.

The Activity of God in Saving a soul is referred to as 'called', by His Word and Spirit, and that Act of God is Iresistable and Effective, to the Eternal Saving of the soul.

So, although God was Providentially involved in both the Determination and Blessing of Isaac's desendance and the Salvation of those He Chose,

.... the reference-type calling of Isaac's decendants is different to the Act of God in Salvation-'calling' in Romans

Then, the addition of 'calling' in this statement*, to say the Act of God in Salvation, Effectual Iresistable 'calling' would be in Time,

... and 'called' being used for God's reckoning or appointing in eternity past, would be possible to substitute for 'drawn', in a way, in "with Loving Kindness have I Drawn thee(?), I have Loved you with an Everlasting Love", if we say, "with Loving Kindness have I Called thee(?).

* " calling/reckoning/naming is not God's invitation or drawing in the temporal realm, but rather God's reckoning or appointing in eternity past,"

So, the conclusion of being called the child of God is a reference-type calling like Isaac's descendants being called his and is different to the Act of God in Salvation-'calling' in Roman's...

... and...???

... the conclusion of being called the child of God that is a reference-type calling like Isaac's descendants being called his

COULD NEVER BE CONFUSED with The Act of God Iresistable calling His Child in The New Birth,

and making gyrations attempting to suggest the 'calling/reckoning/naming' of God's child, as the result of their 'Easy Believism', without God involved at all.

If that is where this statement tried to go:

"To put it another way, calling in english can refer to both inviting and naming. Per the latter, I am called Cal, for instance. Those who believe in Jesus shall be called the children of God. Those examples definitely do not carry the idea of inviting."

God's Chosen were Predestinated, by name, all right.

Rom. 8:30 Moreover whom He predestined, ( by name) these He also called ( by the Act of God in Salvation, as an Effectual and Iresistable 'Calling', by The Holy Spirit, in Time,) whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.

5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Thank you that was my point! I agree, I don't think the word carries the idea of invited (efficaciously or otherwise). I believe it's used in the same sense Paul used it in Romans 9:7. It carries the idea of appointed or designated. “In Isaac your seed shall be called.”

And I don't believe it is speaking in the temporal realm, but rather eternity past, along with foreknowledge and predestination. In eternity past were were appointed (written in the book of life), and all those appointed (in eternity past) believed (in the temporal).

#5 Calminian, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Calminian

Site Supporter

Just to be clear, though, I don't believe the calling in Romans 8:30 is related to the drawing of men on earth temporally. I think they are two separate things. I believe this is why there's confusion about the universal drawing that's often mentioned in Scripture, and the appointing of the elect in eternity past. Paul is using "calling" in this passage in the sense of choosing, not drawing. He is naming, designating, appointing and reckoning in this passage, and all before the foundations of the world.

Later God draws all individuals, but only those foreknown from the beginning believe.

#6 Calminian, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

This is exactly right.

"In eternity past were appointed (written in the book of life), and all those appointed (in eternity past) believed (in the temporal)"

I see the Romans 8:30 "Moreover whom He predestined", ( by name),

..., as the "In eternity past, were appointed (written in the book of life),"

..and then,

these He also called ( by the Act of God in Salvation, as an Effectual and Irresistible 'Calling', by The Holy Spirit, in Time,)

..., as WHEN, IN TIME, When The Holy Spirit Calls and Draws the lost soul that had been Predestinated to Be Saved, in the course of Time.

"whom He called, (Saved, as above) these He also justified;
    and whom He justified, these He also glorified."

The 'Glorified' is Spoken by God as Certain as if it Had Already Happened.

Assurance.

All Was Assured.

Those Chosen Would Sussessfully Be Brought
    into The Family of God, Forever, in Time.

8. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

The confusion regarding the word 'drawing', or "many are Called", in the general Universal 'Drawing', or 'Calling' of God, are differentiated as The General Call vs The Effectual Call.

"many are called", in The General Call to any Human Being who hears The Gospel. They are the Individuals in Hebrews 6, who become acquainted with and exposed to "Spiritual Things, in the Temporal Realm, but Had Not Been Chosen and were never Saved.

Those "Effectually Called", by God, are Called with The Instrumentation of The Holy Spirit, "Calling" them In, to the Extent of Making their soul Partakers of The Divine Nature that wasn't there, before.

Those are Saved When God Effectually Knocks them down, with His CALL from ABOVE, as Jesus Did with Paul's Conversion.

Those lost souls are Called to Repent and Have also Been Given the Spiritual Enablement to Repeat and to then also Believe.

When does each Take Place?

Simultaneously, Repentance and Faith are Twin Doctrines that take place at the same time,

...except, we know that looking at the Twin Doctrines 'Logically',
    God, Logically, Provides Repentance and then, Faith.

Repentance toward God and Faith in Jesus Christ.

9. Calminian

Site Supporter

And you're back to the temporal invitation. This is where we disagree. I don't believe Paul is speaking about a temporal effectual calling in this passage. I believe he's speaking of a reckoning, naming, appointing in eternity past.

This word calling is akin to choosing in this context, just as it's used in Romans 9:7. Isaac's descendants were not drawn or invited, but rather chosen or designated by God.

So I do believe there is an unbreakable chain of events here. I do believe this passages if speaking of individuals. I do believe this passages is supporting eternal security, in that all who are foreknown are then predestined, chosen, justified and then glorified. I just don't believe there is an effectual temporal invitation in this passage.

10. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Predestined = Chosen in Eternity Past

Called = Saved in Time

Justified = Justified as the Blessing of Grace Received in Salvation.

Yep, I sure don"t see 'called', as 'named'.

That took place in Eternity Past, in my view, and was mentioned first.

Predestined = Chosen = Name Written.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 8:
    • 29 "For whom he did foreknow", Forknowlegde, Love.
    1.) he also did predestinate" Determine, Choose, Decree, Write.

2.) "to be conformed to the image of his Son", Save

"that he might be the firstborn among many brethren".

• 30 "Moreover", Reinnerating, Repeating.

1.) whom he did predestinate", Determine, Choose, Decree, Write.

2.) "them he also called:" Save.

Maybe the pattern in the previous verse can be viewed,
    as 1). predestinate, then 2). Save.

Sometimes a pattern assists.

Sometimes things next to each other are related, but sometimes they can be very different, even though they look similar, so there we have it.

Some thoughts on it.

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

That doesn't seem to be the plain meaning of the text in the immediate context. Those foreknown are predestined to.... and then the text tells us exactly what it means.... to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Predestination is the act of God destining an individual to a specific future. They were destined in eternity past to be sanctified and glorified in the future. I see no other option but to take this is a straightforward way.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

Don't agree with this either, as the justified is saved.

14. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Between your mention of Predestination(?)

... and, then saying they are Conformed to the Image of Jesus... (?)

... you left out your OP(?).

"Called" is in the text.

God Saved those He Chose, before He Conformed them, after they were Saved.

Your 'straightforward way' skips the OP that you wrote?

What's wrong with The Doctrine of Effectual Calling that is Taught there?

Jesus is The Savior.

The Calling and Drawing of God is The Activity of God to Save a soul, when He Chooses to Save them.

There is a General Call.

This is not it.

Saying this 'calling' means 'nameing', or 'idenyifying', or giving a label to refer to them is inventing something way off.

#14 Alan Gross, Oct 17, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  15. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Logically, God Justified the Saved soul, when,

"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44.

When a lost soul is Drawn by God, to Jesus in Salvation, they are Immediately Justified and will be Glorified, when Jesus Raises them up at The Last Day.

God Writes what He wants in Roman's 8.

Predestined, Called, Jstified, Glorified.

God' Grace is Irresistible.

God Opened the heart of Lidia, as He Did every other soul He Saves.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

Nothing. I just don't think it's taught here. Calling is not saving. Saving, in this chain of events is the justification, not the calling. And the calling is not a temporal effectual invitation, it's a designating, reckoning naming of those whom God foreknew.

I don't approach a text on the bases of, what's wrong with this interpretation..... I look for the plain meaning.

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Sorry, but this is not what Paul believed. He believed justification was through faith in Christ, not the initial drawing.

Rom. 10:10 For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. ​

Rom. 3:26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus...28 For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

Rom. 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, wea have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,​

This is too straightforward to deny. I don't think most on your side of this debate agree with you on this, either. You can still believe in the effectual drawing, but we are not saved through God's drawing.

18. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist

Unless you trying to say that God waited for you to 'believe', before you were 'named' and 'called a Christian'?, God is Allowed to Say,

"No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:44'

and have that mean GOD SAVES THEM.

Just as God is Allowed to Say, in Romans 8:30;

"Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called:

and have that mean GOD SAVES THEM.

When God draws and calls, are you leaving out that God Can Grant Conviction of sin, Repentance and Faith, and The New Birth that God Gives when He Saves a lost soul, and Justification, all when God draws and calls, so that you can say you 'believed' on your own?

Somethings going on, because Salvation is of God,
    and Salvation Involves all of them,
    and there is nothing else
    to attribute to 'called' to in Romans 8:30,

except that

"God provided you a chance, to see what you would do",

"God gave you the Faith which is not of works, to see if you would believe",

"God gave you an invitation, to see if you wanted to be called a Christian and not go to Hell".

Is that what this is all about?

You think 'the name, Christian' is another gospel?

You decided to be
    'called a Christian'

and
    'named among those that don't go to Hell'

and are
    "not of works, lest any man should boast, because God invited you to see this day who you would choose"?

Something is bizarre for you to not Confess that
    Jesus is The Savior

and Almighty God Has The Ability to DRAW and CALL and MAKE the lost soul WILLING in The Day of HIS POWER.

If someone's dad ever stood over them and brought a Barber's Strap down on their back while they were in bed asleep and said, "Get up" that has a way of making things Effective.

God Opening the heart and Giving Conviction of sin, and Repentance and Faith to believe, along with Justification and The Promise of Glorification, is the only way God Saves people.

If you have a 'rule' that drawing and calling have to be General and never Effective, then you missed the Teaching of God and aren't going to be able to shove it into Romans 8:30.

That's not God's rule. That's pure flesh.

• 29 "For whom he did foreknow", Forknowlegde, Love.
    1.) he also did predestinate" Determine, Choose, Decree, Write.

2.) "to be conformed to the image of his Son", Save

"that he might be the firstborn among many brethren".

• 30 "Moreover", Reinnerating, Repeating.

1.) whom he did predestinate", Determine, Choose, Decree, Write.

2.) "them he also called:" Save.

19. Calminian

Site Supporter

No, I believe we are called (named, appointed) from eternity past. God doesn't look into the future, but rather sees the past present and future simultaneously. Those he foreknows he predestines to be sanctified, calls, justifies and glorifies.

I see eternal security in this passage (all justified will be glorified). I see exhaustive foreknowledge in this passage. I just don't see the effectual call in it.

20. Alan Gross

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right.

God Specifically Predestinated.

God Generally Called? whoever hears The Gospel, but Noone, is Saved.

God Specifically Justified?

or,

God Specifically Predestinated.

God Specifically Called? particular souls, only, in way that no others heard, but didn't Save them.

God Specifically Justified?

Dunno.

You don't see Effectual Call, right.

Maybe, that's rule.

Not sure it's of God.