1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Those Little Rewards

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by Benjamin, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anyway Donna, What kind of exercises does your PT have you doing, if I may ask? How often do you get to see him? Does he have you doing things at home? Do you have any equipment? I've done some volunteer work and will begin doing internship next year. I think it's going to be a really fun job, actually, I expect it will not even seem that much like a job to me after all the hard physical labor I've had to do to support my family and self. Talking about stuff I love and telling other people to exercise while sitting in air conditioning sounds pretty good to me!

#21 Benjamin, Feb 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2010
  2. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Listen to the continued enthusiasm:

My reply:

Sorry, I didn't even see your message until now. I don't count calories that much other than to look if certain foods are high in calories. If they are I want to know why, and it is usually because of fat or sugar; therefore I am more restrictive of those foods. I was reading a while back that if exercising and trying to lose weight it is critical that one eats at the very least 1200 cpd and unhealthy to do otherwise for several reasons. I would think in the 1500 range "if" you are eating fairly "clean carbs" and getting some of the good fats would keep you healthy and the #'s rolling off.

I agree the sodium is hard to avoid, I find it very controversial on the correct amounts too, you have to weigh the good and the bad sometimes. I am struggling to find only goods foods myself, seems society has aloud convenience and demand to rule over ethics concerning what we eat and it is no wonder that obesity has risen the way it has. ...Steps off soap box.

You are doing "exactly" the right thing by paying attention to all the different aspects of a healthier lifestyle, learning, setting goals and putting them into action. No one is perfect in this, but these positive and permanent "changes" are what will insure success.

Sheesh! You are really dropping fast for a rookie, lol, I was thinking a while back how fast I would be capable of dropping your extra weight if it was me, alas I can't do it for, wish I could, but you are doing very well kiddo. It sounds like your energy lvl is up there if your routines are getting more intense, pay close attention when rigorously dieting and exercising that you don't become overly drained for a long period of time.

I'd like to see you invest in a better weight bench and increase your variety on more weight resistance options. Keep up the good work. This stuff can become an addictive high can't it, would love to see you on the cover of Fitness Magazine some day :)

I know you did an EXUBERATING workout yesterday, but if you think you can handle a training session tonight let me know, little Benj has school activities and I have no partner.

#22 Benjamin, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

One could compare these adult rewards/gifts to a kid’s anxiety and excitement over waiting for and receiving presents, that you promised them would come if they were obedient, and then sharing in the joy they feel as they earn it. My reply:

This is 36 lbs of fat loss in 10 weeks, or an average of 3.6 lbs (3 ½ cubes of melting butter) off her body per week. I originally set a goal of her losing 100 lbs in one year while stressing the need to develop “necessary and permanent healthy lifestyle habits” and to keep focus on this as long term and the importance of advancing and establishing these permanent habits.

At the start I challenged her to take two big baby steps toward the finish line: Maintain three weight resistant workouts a weeks; at first this simply amounted to faithfully going through the motions regardless of pain. The other step was to eliminate sugar, beginning with soda; this was probably more difficult for her than keeping the workout schedule, but the pain and soreness from the workouts was a good reminder to keep on tract.

She’s come a long way in both diet and exercise and will most likely meet, if not far exceed, the original goal. Most importantly, these lifestyle habits are becoming second nature and will insure she keeps moving forward.

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a problem to have...Poor kid! She doesn't seem to worried about it, but actually, she doesn't have a lot money, I suppose I should give her a gift certificate somewhere along the line.

5. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is in regards to a conversation we had a couple weeks ago when she came over for a training session. She had no workout partners and was especially disappointed that her (obese) husband, Andy, would not even try. I told her to just keep flaunting the results, that seeing others exercising and motivated was very contagious, and we had some fun discussing some strategies to inspire, which included a bit of spousal intimidation, in order to try to get her a partner.

I confessed to her about using one of these motivating factors myself early on; in that I had my 118lb daughter come in and do a few sets which served as a wake up because of how much she was being out-lifted by someone less than half her size.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am anxiously awaiting this young lady I've been working with to contact me with the news of having lost 100lbs! She had about 6 pounds to go a week or so ago. She will have hit the 100lb milestone in about 11 months! I'm so pround her for making the lifestyle changes needed to do this and sticking to it; she had been obese most her life.

She will have about 30lbs more to go and will be needing some extra skin removed. She is a surgical nurse and a doctor/colleague has told her that after 6 months of maintaining her weight he will "help" her with this.

I'm thinking of having her over after hitting the goal and putting a 100lb bar on her shoulders for her to experience the magnitude of her accomplishment.

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I neglected posting the 100lb milestone, but this young lady has now lost 116lbs. She has recently joined a bodybuilding gym and goes there regularly. She likes the free child care the gym offers and all the versatility from the various equipment. She has met a lot of encouraging people at the gym who admire the fact she has done so well and is so devoted to the task.

8. wulaishiwo

wulaishiwo New Member

Good job for you! I always believe that the most important thing to lost weight is insist. But we really need some people to encourage us to do that. The power of group is tremendous.